The watch thread.

scblack

Leucocholic
I think I hear your query/point. My Skyracer is a smallish quartz watch. If you get a watch for a bigger "investment" like the Avenger Blackbird, I think the Breitlight is not ideal. My bigger watches, the Avengers, I think would be out of place with a breitlight case. Their heft is part of the DNA.

For my smaller Skyracer, yes Breitlight is good.
For a Blackbird, or Seawolf, it would be somewhat out of place.

If you are like some of my watch mates who have 12+ Breitlings, plus Rolex's, plus Panerai's, among others, then yes a Breitlight Hurricane can be added to the rotation. But for us mere mortals, my more "serious" watches need the chunk steel gives.

FWIW, I would love my next watch to be a SuperOcean Heritage 46mm, black bezel with white face and a steel mesh strap.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I think I hear your query/point......
But for us mere mortals, my more "serious" watches need the chunk steel gives.

FWIW, I would love my next watch to be a SuperOcean Heritage 46mm, black bezel with white face and a steel mesh strap.
Cheers SC, I think you answered my question

Question

What are my options for a quality dudes watch with a $1,000 budget ?

Apart from telling the time I know nuthink about watches.

Please be gentle.

obvious omission is obvious #facepalm, glad I asked for leniency !!!

@bear the bear analogue, something you would keep and wear for a long long time. Wouldn't be necessary to have sport specific features or some such, probs prefer metal band.

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

scblack

Leucocholic
obvious omission is obvious #facepalm, glad I asked for leniency !!!

@bear the bear analogue, something you would keep and wear for a long long time. Wouldn't be necessary to have sport specific features or some such, probs prefer metal band.
In that pricerange for automatic watch is the Seiko Samurai range, or Prospex range. Retail for around $750, shop around and get for less than $500.

I bought an orange Samurai as I loved the colour. Its one of my cheaper watches, but very good quality with Japan made movement and three year warranty. Nice summer watch.

https://www.starbuy.com.au/seiko-pr...MIjvWI_YGy5AIV0sDACh0qZADpEAQYBSABEgLth_D_BwE

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Seiko SKX007 with the jubilee bracelet... not sure the price these days, but super comfy, and a fantastic watch. Mine loses a minute a week, but I don’t care. I connect with it, when I adjust it so. Mtb, swim, dive or surf... it’s good. No batteries, this is no eWatch.

298037AB-9FFD-41A3-9B1A-5030357BE78C.png

MasterOfReality

After forever
Have decided to get another watch after 11 years of non stop use from my Grand Carrera, above.

Was set on the IWC Portugieser until I walked past the Omega store and saw the Omega Constellation Globemaster. I'm after a somewhat classic look, which the IWC has, but the Omega is pretty unique in person. Now its fucked me up and I'll probably be up for hours researching this. 1st world problems haha.

I'm leaning towards the IWC due to looks, but the Omega just looks different.

Pics stolen off internet.

Attachments

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have decided to get another watch after 11 years of non stop use from my Grand Carrera, above.

Was set on the IWC Portugieser until I walked past the Omega store and saw the Omega Constellation Globemaster. I'm after a somewhat classic look, which the IWC has, but the Omega is pretty unique in person. Now its fucked me up and I'll probably be up for hours researching this. 1st world problems haha.

I'm leaning towards the IWC due to looks, but the Omega just looks different.

Pics stolen off internet.
I’m no watch expert but that IWC looks much classier.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yes I tried on the blue face one which I think is the nicest one they have. The silver face has blue hands/text but its overpowered by the face.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You might find the IWC ages better due to a less fussy / more conventional dial. With that said I actually like the Omega.

I'd still take the IWC. Blue face because I find white faces are blinding in the sun.