Hello Operator...

moorey

call me Mia
So...., I was saving for something nice for myself (like a newer Alpine), but decided Felix would get more benefit out of a DH upgrade.
Dynamite Cycles in Buninyong really help look after Felix, so they gave us a good price on a frame. He is already a brand ambassador for Kona on his Process, and we’re loving what Kona are doing these days, so an operator was an easy choice. Needed new wagon wheels, so tracked down some discounted Hope DH hoops. Was going to mash up a 7sp conversion from his old 10sp gear, but discovered the Hope DH hubs are 7sp only, so we ended up going with some SH sram gear that local WC rider Darcy Coutts had spare.
@Soul-Rider has been an absolute champ with advice on 7sp, and posted up some Box 1 gear for us to try out. Can’t thank him enough for answering a million questions and helping us out.
Other parts came from his Devinci, that I’ll replace and attempt to ride. The guys at Mitas Aus sent Felix some Highlanders to try. Unfortunately the 2.45’ is a really big 2.45, and was just too tight in the rear. Would love one a bit smaller, the tyres look fantastic, but that’s the only size available. Running a couple of Darcy’s magic Mary’s for now. I think I’d like to try an Assegai front and Dissektor rear as it drys out for the coming state DH series.
Felix has done a lot of the work on this himself, and is absolutely itching to ride it.

Frame: 2019 Kona operator AL. Large.
Shock: Rockshox super deluxe R coil (planning air upgrade)
Fork: Boxxer WC
Brakes: Saint m820
Rotors: 203 RT86
Cranks: Saint m820
Guide: MRP mini g3
Shifter: GX 7sp
Derailleur: GX 7sp
Cassette: XO1 7sp 11-24
Pedals: Saint m828
Hubs: Hope pro4
Rims: Hopetech DH 27.5
Bars: Renthal fatbar 780
Tyres: Magic Mary DH 2.35 Addix (planning maxxis)

It’s not a bike till it’s been on the oven.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very nice build. I'm confused by the size though. Has he had a miracle spurt? Or is this some long game future proofing?

moorey

call me Mia
Very nice build. I'm confused by the size though. Has he had a miracle spurt? Or is this some long game future proofing?
He’s always liked a longer bike, and with the seat slid a bit forward, it’s spot on. He’s growing like a weed, and I need a couple of years out of this frame, so a medium would have been foolish.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Beautiful, looks purposeful and really sano. Not a dropper in sight :|

Now you need one for yourself, well maybe just the Process so you can let him win and you have a good excuse not to go as hard.
Almost a pity that now is the cleanest you will ever see it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
He’s always liked a longer bike, and with the seat slid a bit forward, it’s spot on. He’s growing like a weed, and I need a couple of years out of this frame, so a medium would have been foolish.
Future proof makes sense. Hopefully he doesn't crack it too soon.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the shout out! The build looks sweeet and I was chuffed to see it all coming together for the little (or not that little) guy!