2009 Peugeot Partner 1.6 Diesel Van

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Just your bias.
My bias isn’t pro frog, it’s anti lazy mechanics.

I love them though, and owners who buy their slack crap and flog off their lemons cheap. I’d had some great scores that simple things wrong that were cheap and easy to fix :)

moorey

call me Mia
Why are you getting shitty at me? I didn’t rip you off...
Because you’re as lone-deaf as the wankers posting pictures of themselves in bikinis on pristine Bahamas resort beaches.
You have a passion for shit cars, an iota of mechanical knowledge, a cushy public service job, no kids, and an über hipster lifestyle.
Feel free to keep buying awful, quirky cars and telling me how easy and cheap it is to fix them so they’re slightly less shit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I still don’t get the hipster thing but anyway... not sure what my job and breeding preferences has to do with it either...?

Look, Peugeot and it’s parent company are one of the larger conglomerates - they’re not quirky and are about as mainstream as it gets - you can’t make “quirky” products that can’t be maintained and stay in business, and Peugeot have stayed in business making cars longer than anyone with the possible exception of Benz. And these days it’s a global industry and there is fuck all between all the European manufacturers anyway. They all share major component makers - the ABS system in the 407 will be either Bosch or Bendix and they cover probably 99% of the worlds cars...

As a consumer product, they are largely fine design and execution wise - it’s the product support that’s lacking, but can be found if you know where to look. You dont need mechanic knowledge for that - I’m not saying you should have fixed it yourself, I’m just saying that you were not able to find the people who could. I’m sorry you didn’t find them, you might not have lost so much money.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Single mass flywheel conversions common. An issue with all brands, dual mass flywheels very common.

I get tired of this whole thing. It’s just a bloody car, it’s not it’s fault the dealers/importers are fuckwits and ripoff merchants.

Objecting to buying parts online from overseas is a bit odd on a forum full of bike riders... just think of eurocarparts.com like wiggle.
If you haven't worked on one how would you know ? Internet expert I suppose.

I've just spent 2 weeks trying to sought parts out for one of the most common toyota diesels on the planet, I've been sent the wrong head gasket and the wrong valves and the wrong valve stem seals from 3 different online dealers. A car most people need every day, a MTB not so important and then try and get warranty when your motor blows up.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I still don’t get the hipster thing but anyway... not sure what my job and breeding preferences has to do with it either...?

Look, Peugeot and it’s parent company are one of the larger conglomerates - they’re not quirky and are about as mainstream as it gets - you can’t make “quirky” products that can’t be maintained and stay in business, and Peugeot have stayed in business making cars longer than anyone with the possible exception of Benz. And these days it’s a global industry and there is fuck all between all the European manufacturers anyway. They all share major component makers - the ABS system in the 407 will be either Bosch or Bendix and they cover probably 99% of the worlds cars...

As a consumer product, they are largely fine design and execution wise - it’s the product support that’s lacking, but can be found if you know where to look. You dont need mechanic knowledge for that - I’m not saying you should have fixed it yourself, I’m just saying that you were not able to find the people who could. I’m sorry you didn’t find them, you might not have lost so much money.
So you've worked on automotive cars on a commercial scale from your office chair and that gives you the credentials to give automotive advice, they're fucking junk and the resale value reflects it most of the time.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Objecting to buying parts online from overseas is a bit odd on a forum full of bike riders... just think of eurocarparts.com like wiggle.
2 weeks without one bike working is annoying but 2 weeks without a car function can be a serious problem.

Local parts stock on vehicles more than 5 years old is a valid consideration in a purchase.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
And I can give the phone numbers of three places in Melbourne alone that sell those parts you went OS for cheaper and will overnight post them if you’re not in Melbourne...

It still seems like it was just being ripped off you didn’t like about it? Solution - don’t get ripped off...

Commercial version no different, most the same parts underneath as in the passenger variety anyway.
So there are 3 places in the county that have parts? Doesn't sound like a particularly robust parts network. I only comment because when the suspension went in our Citroen I called all 3 along with every other possible number I could find including asking on the Aussie frog forum. What I found was 1 of the 3 in Melbourne had them and would sell me second hand, no guarantee they worked, suspension bulbs for $600 and post them to me at my cost. The dealer mechanic was actually laughing on the phone when I originally got a $1500 quote to replace them and he would have to order them from France, he apologised and was laughing because he realised how stupid the price was.

For clarity I used a reputable euro mechanic who had tried to source new ones here (the guy in Melbourne selling second hand ones) he recommended calling the dealer out of desperation. This little roundabout has taken a week, we are a 1 car family so you understand my post earlier about how long can you afford it to be off the road. I go to eBay and order from the UK $300 for the set, 5 days to get here. Mechanic is good installs them at 4pm on a Friday when they get in, thank blah blah we have the car for the weekend. Car was off the road for almost 2 weeks lucky my mechanic gave us a loaner car for as long as he could during the 2 weeks.

My experience just saying, you guys can take or leave what you like from it but I drive Mitsubishis now and if asked recommend avoiding cars that need speciality ordering for parts.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So there are 3 places in the county that have parts? Doesn't sound like a particularly robust parts network. I only comment because when the suspension went in our Citroen I called all 3 along with every other possible number I could find including asking on the Aussie frog forum. What I found was 1 of the 3 in Melbourne had them and would sell me second hand, no guarantee they worked, suspension bulbs for $600 and post them to me at my cost. The dealer mechanic was actually laughing on the phone when I originally got a $1500 quote to replace them and he would have to order them from France, he apologised and was laughing because he realised how stupid the price was.

For clarity I used a reputable euro mechanic who had tried to source new ones here (the guy in Melbourne selling second hand ones) he recommended calling the dealer out of desperation. This little roundabout has taken a week, we are a 1 car family so you understand my post earlier about how long can you afford it to be off the road. I go to eBay and order from the UK $300 for the set, 5 days to get here. Mechanic is good installs them at 4pm on a Friday when they get in, thank blah blah we have the car for the weekend. Car was off the road for almost 2 weeks lucky my mechanic gave us a loaner car for as long as he could during the 2 weeks.

My experience just saying, you guys can take or leave what you like from it but I drive Mitsubishis now and if asked recommend avoiding cars that need speciality ordering for parts.
Never had a hydraulic Citroen, they are less common for sure. Thought there was a place that regassed spheres though in Sydney? Dunno... I wouldnt recommend one for a non enthusiast either, but it’s not something inherently wrong with the product. Citroen spheres are cheap and easy to replace and you’d not bat a ln eyelid if you were in Europe and tour local parts shop had a shelf of them.

Like I said, it’s jsut the support lacking here.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Never had a hydraulic Citroen, they are less common for sure. Thought there was a place that regassed spheres though in Sydney? Dunno... I wouldnt recommend one for a non enthusiast either, but it’s not something inherently wrong with the product. Citroen spheres are cheap and easy to replace and you’d not bat a ln eyelid if you were in Europe and tour local parts shop had a shelf of them.

Like I said, it’s jsut the support lacking here.
There is but that was 2 weeks as well and the diaphragm was busted so it would have been a no go anyway.

Lack of support for a vehicle that has, depending on your opinion, as many or more problems as any other vehicle, not the logical or sensible choice IMO. I would not recommend them to anyone unless I didn't like them or they live in Europe.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I found people. They wanted $5-7k for a couple of minor issues. 95% of that was parts.
Ok fine. I don’t know what was wrong with it or where you took so couldn’t say. Maybe yours was a lemon, maybe it was badly maintained, maybe it had a poltergeist living in the boot.

Point is they sold around 860,000 of the 407 over 7 years - and they don’t have a reputation for being a complete dog. Not nearly as well built as a Lexus for sure and more prone to niggles than your average Japanese car - but nothing that can’t be fixed and therein lies the rub - local support and knowledge.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
2 weeks without one bike working is annoying but 2 weeks without a car function can be a serious problem.

Local parts stock on vehicles more than 5 years old is a valid consideration in a purchase.
If it’s just transport you want, buy a corolla. I don’t recommend euros to non car people - not enough good product support here in the colonies.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If you haven't worked on one how would you know ? Internet expert I suppose.

I've just spent 2 weeks trying to sought parts out for one of the most common toyota diesels on the planet, I've been sent the wrong head gasket and the wrong valves and the wrong valve stem seals from 3 different online dealers. A car most people need every day, a MTB not so important and then try and get warranty when your motor blows up.
Nah, I’m not buying that a flywheel is riveted to a crankshaft... In all your automotive experience can you even imagine a thing? I’d love to see something to prove me wrong there but I couldn’t find anything. Do you know what model it was?

Edit - found a reference to what you must mean on a VW forum. Was curious... DMFs have their assembly halves riveted together and apparently sometimes when they fail they do so in a position where you can’t access the bolts holding the whole assembly to the crankshaft. Hence you need to grind off off the rivets to separate the outer part of the DMF assembly first. Not a drama as the whole thing is going in the bin anyway if it’s that munted already. Single mass flywheel conversions are pretty popular....

Ha, yes the Japanese stuff is good for eleventy three different variations on stuff in one model! Not sure if you’re defending euro stuff you need to order parts for though...?

I used the inter webs for jap stuff too if I have the time, got all the bits for a Mazda 3 fix up job from the states for super cheap...

Most of my experience is in euro stuff, but have worked on lots of other stuff too. Not out side of the family’s cars though for many years, would rather spend time not under a car if I can help it...

Last edited: