For Moorey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This probably belongs in the little thing I hate thread, but it’s more related to here, so I’ll have a whine.
I hate the disconnect that people are clearly able to either deal with, or ignore. Stuck at the traffic lights today, I was beside a B double, triple decker truck full of sheep. Some had their heads stuck out of the rails, others were clearly being trampled, and so squashed in they couldn’t get up. We all know that they are on their way to the abattoir, Not only do they have to suffer horrifically, but they are doing it on their way to death, just to feed people.
I’m not here to judge anyone, but I assume most people on here are perfectly OK with that scenario? I feel sick to my stomach when I see this. Each of those is a life, and I really don’t see that each is less valuable than a persons.
Was that funny enough?
Whats funny is that you saw that and didn't report it to the rspca or dept of ag. Both have authorised officers that can fine and even issue court notices.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Whats funny is that you saw that and didn't report it to the rspca or dept of ag. Both have authorised officers that can fine and even issue court notices.

Yeah, that’s hilarious, hey.

That you chose that to comment on, says a lot.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
People are okay with it because they buy packaged meat from the supermarket. It's the disconnect like you said...
Guarantee that if people had to kill what they ate they'd be eating way less animal products... If any.
Most people have 3 different animals for breakfast and don't even know/realise/care.

Oddjob

Yeah, that’s hilarious, hey.

That you chose that to comment on, says a lot.
Don't assume that only vegans care about animals, princess.

I trained as an agricultural economist, and most of the people I know in the trade (farmers, traders, scientists, vets, ag officers etc etc) are very much not okay with what you saw (I'm assuming that the farmer and transporter were cowboys that were in breach of load limits). Guess how I know about authorised officers.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The chances of authorities acting on what a layperson saw at a set of traffic lights is???

The fact that this sort of treatment happens day in day out without being addressed by the general population is appalling.

That truck wasn't unusual. It was normal.

moorey

call me Mia
Don't assume that only vegans care about animals, princess.

I trained as an agricultural economist, and most of the people I know in the trade (farmers, traders, scientists, vets, ag officers etc etc) are very much not okay with what you saw (I'm assuming that the farmer and transporter were cowboys that were in breach of load limits). Guess how I know about authorised officers.

You don’t suppose the original FDOTM was about you at all, do you?

moorey

call me Mia
The chances of authorities acting on what a layperson saw at a set of traffic lights is???

The fact that this sort of treatment happens day in day out without being addressed by the general population is appalling.

Have reported many such things in my life. Not once has any ever been acted on

moorey

call me Mia
FWIW, I don’t care if each sheep is taken to the abattoir in a private jet....
Not really my only point.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
People are okay with it because they buy packaged meat from the supermarket. It's the disconnect like you said...
Guarantee that if people had to kill what they ate they'd be eating way less animal products... If any.
Most people have 3 different animals for breakfast and don't even know/realise/care.
It’s a goodly dose of cognitive dissonance that allows me to eat meat... And I know exactly how it’s made.

Not only have I been an inspector at abattoirs for the EPA back in the day (Kirsty has been veg since the day I came home with one particular story...), but I also grew up killing for food. Had ferrets and always killed the bunnies with a knife to the throat, was often sent out to do the chook with an axe for dinner. Have dispatched and processed goats too.

These days I’d have to be pretty damn hungry to do it myself... I’ve gotten a lot more squeamish and less callous as I’ve gotten older.

Oddjob

Depends on who you call and whether the offenders had a history. A court writ can lead to the subpeona of weighbridge and traffic camera data.

Can you prove it happens day in and day out. Do you know the load limits. Any idea of the enforcement activities?

If you and Moorey claim to care so much and don't have a clue about this stuff, what hope does the general public have?

Oddjob

You don’t suppose the original FDOTM was about you at all, do you?
Nope because its bullshit.

If animal welfare was your main concern then the meat industries pale in comparison to the problems caused by irrigated agriculture in Australia.

More broadly the soya bean and palm oil industries are responsible for untold animal suffering.

This is before you get to the pointlessness of individual action in dealing with most societal problems.

moorey

call me Mia
Depends on who you call and whether the offenders had a history. A court writ can lead to the subpeona of weighbridge and traffic camera data.

Can you prove it happens day in and day out. Do you know the load limits. Any idea of the enforcement activities?

If you and Moorey claim to care so much and don't have a clue about this stuff, what hope does the general public have?

Read the original cartoon again, old bean.

moorey

call me Mia
Nope because its bullshit.

If animal welfare was your main concern then the meat industries pale in comparison to the problems caused by irrigated agriculture in Australia.

More broadly the soya bean and palm oil industries are responsible for untold animal suffering.

This is before you get to the pointlessness of individual action in dealing with most societal problems.

[/QUOTE]
You triggered, bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.