Totally Over Magpies

safreek

You shouldn't really feed them, you all know this by now. Soft mince can actually get stuck in their beak and cause an infection.
When I finish off a roasted chook I generally put the carcass out on a plate for them to dine on, they basically get silver service at my place. I can't remember the last time I have been swooped anywhere. I think they communicate with the plovers as well, those little suckas leave me alone as well.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Swooped by the same evil sod as last year out the front of my house on Sunday. Stupid bird, it's August in Melbourne.

It's quite hard fighting off a magpie with a kid in a kid seat, very easy to over balance.

wilso1

Likes Bikes
I got swooped last weekend as I rode through the local skate park.

What puzzles me is why it's ignored all the helmets on skateboards and scooters before singling out me.

Any ideas? Do they single out the larger threat? Or maybe the colour of the helmet?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I got swooped not once, not twice but thrice on Sunday.

Not looking forward to my next snake encounter...

Coopz

Likes Dirt
The first day of Spring on Sunday, went for a early ride and was swooped twice before I had gone 500m..
I even feed a couple of tame ones that live on my area. So much for our truce.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Wish my council would do that.

The only justification I can think of for relaxing gun laws.....

My first was last Monday .....

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got hit about 2 weeks ago. Pretty rare for them to actually get me but this one hit my helmet twice.
But haven't seen another one since, including a couple of long commutes.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Quote from the article:

"I truly fear for the future of our unique and precious animal life."

Didn't know magpies were unique or precious. We really live in an amazingly fortunate society where people can get all worked up over the death of one crazy magpie. I wonder what the millions in the third world subsistence living below the poverty line would think as their children starve to death.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First time I’ve been done today, rather than just the helmet. By the time I got home bleeding had stopped and I was looking for something but couldn’t make out any wound. My glove had some blood on it though. Ear has been sore all arvo so got the kid to take a photo behind my ear and there it is. Small but deep, the fecker hit pretty hard.

31C5FEB5-88A7-49EB-AF5A-B9855E871E92.jpeg

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Ouch! How do the buggers know that ears are soft, juicy, sensitive areas? Is this one of those learned behaviours that Magpies pass on to their offspring?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There used to be one in Brighton, here in Adelaide. Nicknamed the Brighton Butcher, he covered both roads on either side of the railway station.

No warning, no helmet tap... just a shooting pain as something hits your shoulder and took a chunk out of your ear. He made people commutes about 1km longer all spring. There used to be some great bloody ear pictures on the Adelaide cyclists FB page. Got me twice over his time as the most feared maggie in the city, but never drew blood... left me with a red ear and a decent throbbing both times though.

Dont know if he disappeared by natural selection or if there was a helping hand from the council, but he stopped his reign of terror in about 2017.

They dont bother me, I actually like having a bit of a game or try and grab a selfie... but the Butcher scared the shit of of me, he was ruthless... when you realised you had accidentally ridden into his kill zone, HR went up to 150bpm and you muttered f%#k f%#k f%#k f%#k f%#k f%#k to yourself while scrambling for the nearest side road to escape.