Librem 5 - the anti apple/google phone

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
chuck a new battery in it and the software will stop throttling it.
Sure about that? I just replaced my 6 and was told the issues were because the hardware struggles with the new software and it will get worse but hey what the fuck would Apple know about their product?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went from a iPhone 4 to an 8 a year ago, I think I'll wait and see how this Librem phone goes, could be my next phone. I have an iPhone cos I get the Mrs hand me downs - and I'm a bit lazy about making the effort to adapt to an Android phone

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
people keep telling me to get a galaxy, but arguments aren’t convincing.
Don't.

Mrs George has sworn by them for going on eight years, but she's not the one who fixes them.

Of all those only one has been OK. And only just OK. And it barely made it to the end of the contract.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have contemplated updating my aging Sony droid phone but there is little compelling reason.

It does all I need and a replacement battery is on the way now to restore it to its former glory.

All phones regardless of price and manufacturer/OS have reached that diminishing returns peak. They can only sell you with little enhancements like better cameras and wireless earbuds etc. I don't get too excited for those things.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have contemplated updating my aging Sony droid phone but there is little compelling reason.

It does all I need and a replacement battery is on the way now to restore it to its former glory.

All phones regardless of price and manufacturer/OS have reached that diminishing returns peak. They can only sell you with little enhancements like better cameras and wireless earbuds etc. I don't get too excited for those things.
Yep, that’s why after getting the new iPhone every year from the 3G to the 4S, I starting keeping them. Ran the 4S for nearly 4 years and it’s still going strong with Mum. Then an SE for a bit and now the 7.

Feature and performance wise there was bugger all in it between it and the 10 and was half the price. I’ll drove this until it drops.

And with a nod to the thread topic, laptops are not much different from what I can tell. You need to be working them pretty damn hard to warrant paying for the bleeding edge spec.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm still using my four year old SE (re-batteried early this year for $60) and it does everything I need with a minimum of fuss. In particular one of the things I like about it is the fact it fits in a pocket unlike the new breed of phones which you seem to require a man bag to carry anywhere. I go to South Korea a bit for work and all the colleagues there remark on my old phone when I show up. As far as I am concerned it's a telecommunications win.

moorey

call me Mia
Biggest problem with the 7 is my dainty hipster hands struggle to reach all of the screen using it one handed. The struggle is real for extended browsing sessions on the dunny...
7 or 7+?
The 8 looks the same size as my 6. No interest in anything bigger.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
And with a nod to the thread topic, laptops are not much different from what I can tell. You need to be working them pretty damn hard to warrant paying for the bleeding edge spec.
Also true, they may be more refined and I think the only area where there is growth in laptops would be in gaming. Bolt on the biggest video GPU you can the figure how to keep it cool. Business laptops are much the muchness, so I go for something more compact since I have to lug it around. 16Gb of ram is nice but the CPU's are mostly doing not that much most of the time so why bother.

I still have a old HP NC6000 laptop running Puppy Linux. I don't use it day to day admittedly but it is still pretty useful.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I go to South Korea a bit for work and all the colleagues there remark on my old phone when I show up. As far as I am concerned it's a telecommunications win.
It is hard to impress South Korean's with our ye olde phones :) Great place though, love to spend some time over there again.