BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Chrispy

Likes Bikes
There's a big fine in NSW if your plate or lights are obscured. You need to buy the RMS replacement plate and can't make your own. Replacement plate must be lit at night...trailer board is the easiest way to go, I just ocky strap it on.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What does obscured mean? Like lights visible from bicycle spokes? Honest question?
The Vicroads website states that number plates need to be clearly visible from 20 meters. Not sure what the actual law states, but I reckon it's safe to assume that would be from any viewing angle

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Vicroads website states that number plates need to be clearly visible from 20 meters. Not sure what the actual law states, but I reckon it's safe to assume that would be from any viewing angle
There is a guide as to what angle it must be able to be read from for number plates. It’s 45 degrees above and to each side in NSW. That’s enough that I put a bike rack plate on somewhere when I have the tailgate down on the ute.

Lights might be similar.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I took my old hitch mount and bolted it to my canopy, which was designed for the weight of a couple jerry cans and a spare tyre.
Fingers crossed its good for my Melb - Adelaide - Perth - Melb trip in a week.

I fits my Enduro and the girlfriends bike A-ok, but I've just picked up a carbon Torque so I'm going to have to fit a cross bar to stop the frame arm from chafing my sexy new frame.

Attachments

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing I'll be ok if that meets the visibility requirements!? :p

Careful the popo are a bit harder down here in melb.
I'm from Melb, and It in no way covers the lights or numberplate. Legally its no probs, its just its ability to take abuse offroad that's the issue.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I took my old hitch mount and bolted it to my canopy, which was designed for the weight of a couple jerry cans and a spare tyre.
Fingers crossed its good for my Melb - Adelaide - Perth - Melb trip in a week.

I fits my Enduro and the girlfriends bike A-ok, but I've just picked up a carbon Torque so I'm going to have to fit a cross bar to stop the frame arm from chafing my sexy new frame.
I've got that rack and its been back and forth from Victoria several times with a Trance on it. I like, especially for the dollars it cost!

Feed a bit of rope through the frame and around the ladder rack as a just in case for the peace of mind maybe :)

evad

Likes Bikes
I've made a single bike vertical rack with a built in tool free anti wobble device.

The idea was to have something light, fast and easy to put on the car to save faffing round pulling wheels or attaching my multi bike rack when it's just me heading out for a quick spin.

I have made a couple more If anyone's interested in trying one. I'm in the Sutherland Shire, South side of Sydney. Welcome to come and borrow one for a week or so, let me know your thoughts or check them out on Instagram or Facebook QuickStickBikeRack.

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
Stupid question: Why do most hitch racks not come with a light bar, but most tow ball ones do?
I think probably because of the myriad of different racks and also the cost of the available ones.

I’ve seen light bars for $250

Side note re the Vic law on empty bike racks. 10 years ago I’d just bought a Thule 3 bike hitch rack and it was on back of my car. Empty.

I got fined for it!! One of the dumbest laws ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I think probably because of the myriad of different racks and also the cost of the available ones.

I’ve seen light bars for $250

Side note re the Vic law on empty bike racks. 10 years ago I’d just bought a Thule 3 bike hitch rack and it was on back of my car. Empty.

I got fined for it!! One of the dumbest laws ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a law anymore in Vic. You'd be right now...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've made a single bike vertical rack with a built in tool free anti wobble device.

The idea was to have something light, fast and easy to put on the car to save faffing round pulling wheels or attaching my multi bike rack when it's just me heading out for a quick spin.

I have made a couple more If anyone's interested in trying one. I'm in the Sutherland Shire, South side of Sydney. Welcome to come and borrow one for a week or so, let me know your thoughts or check them out on Instagram or Facebook QuickStickBikeRack.
View attachment 355838View attachment 355837View attachment 355839
That's rad! A mate is looking for a rack and he'll mostly be by himself, I'll direct him to your page.

moorey

call me Mia
I really don’t want to trawl through whole thread. Search didn’t bring up anything.
Wife wants an upright rack now. Anyone using the Yakima hangover? Not sure if I like that it attaches to the fork, rather than a wheel in a hoop.
Anyone got feedback based on experience?