Squeaky Crank Brothers Eggbeaters

jakc

Likes Bikes
Bought a pair of Eggbeaters off Ebay a few months back.
The left pedal has started to make a really loud squeaking noise on nearly every downstroke when clipped in.
  • Have tried adding oil and grease to the exposed spring and moving areas = no change.
I am not entirely sure of the model for these guys and if they would be worth getting a kit to rebuild (or a shop to do it) or just cutting my losses and buying a 1st hand pair. Still not entirely sure I like eggbeaters when compared to my prior M520s, but it could be the squeak that's tainting my view!

Attachments

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Sounds like the bearings have had it. You can get a refresh kit. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...suSREQJdYA1XPWgWKZcGXkXxGSED1cbIaAiZyEALw_wcB

If you haven't destroyed a clip spring yet maybe you are one of the chosen few that can own eggbeaters without problems. If you do destroy one and want a more reliable option with a similar level of float check out the Time Atac series.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sounds like the bearings have had it. You can get a refresh kit. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...suSREQJdYA1XPWgWKZcGXkXxGSED1cbIaAiZyEALw_wcB

If you haven't destroyed a clip spring yet maybe you are one of the chosen few that can own eggbeaters without problems. If you do destroy one and want a more reliable option with a similar level of float check out the Time Atac series.

This has been my exact experience. Time Atac will be the way forward

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Where as I run CB pedals on all our mtbs. Either candys or mallets, have put 1000s of kms on them and love them. I like the float. Refresh them or get a new pair and try again.

jakc

Likes Bikes

Thanks. That kit looks perfect (albeit same price as what I paid for pedals 2nd hand, )

I don’t think I will need any out of the ordinary tools to do this job myself, right?

Cardy George

Thanks. That kit looks perfect (albeit same price as what I paid for pedals 2nd hand, )

I don’t think I will need any out of the ordinary tools to do this job myself, right?
Correct, I swapped a broken spring in 30 minutes at 10.30pm the night before an Adelaide trip.

Luckily I had a second pair with an already busted spring to pilfer.

I liked the egg beaters (on my road bike) until the multiple spring failures, but I've tried the candys on my mtb numerous times with all sorts of shoes and spacers but I can't get them right. Whereas the Time Atacs I can get in and out of like flat pedals.

DMan

Correct, I swapped a broken spring in 30 minutes at 10.30pm the night before an Adelaide trip.

Luckily I had a second pair with an already busted spring to pilfer.

I liked the egg beaters (on my road bike) until the multiple spring failures, but I've tried the candys on my mtb numerous times with all sorts of shoes and spacers but I can't get them right. Whereas the Time Atacs I can get in and out of like flat pedals.
What do you mean by "get in and out"? Just curious.

teK--

Eats Squid

Easy to rebuild. Only need an 8mm socket wrench and Allen keys and a hammer, some bearing grease, and degreaser to clean the guts out. All the rest is in the kit.

Cardy George

I get you now. How's the float compared to CBs though?
Tough to give a direct comparison as I could never get the Candys right, they either flopped around feeling like I had a marble under my foot or were impossible to clip in. I think for rotational float they are pretty comparable. With the Times I'm don't feel like I'm bound in like a ski boot, but I still have the solid platform under foot, with enough rotation to not cause knee problems. There's also a definite clink in and click out, you're never left wondering.

The best part is all three pairs are 20 something years old and not one pedal has needed repair.

DMan

Tough to give a direct comparison as I could never get the Candys right, they either flopped around feeling like I had a marble under my foot or were impossible to clip in. I think for rotational float they are pretty comparable. With the Times I'm don't feel like I'm bound in like a ski boot, but I still have the solid platform under foot, with enough rotation to not cause knee problems. There's also a definite clink in and click out, you're never left wondering.

The best part is all three pairs are 20 something years old and not one pedal has needed repair.
Always curious and Pushys are running them out cheap. What model are yours?