Rack on a van door?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't like your chances of bolting something like 35kg to a tailgate, you'll need an engineer to tell you whether the tailgate hinges and latch can take the extra weight but I would look at sikaflexing a long strip of steel bar inside the door skin and then bolting through that.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I don't like your chances of bolting something like 35kg to a tailgate, you'll need an engineer to tell you whether the tailgate hinges and latch can take the extra weight but I would look at sikaflexing a long strip of steel bar inside the door skin and then bolting through that.
Should take it. Thule do one that mounts on rails that you glue to the door. But I'd definitely brace it from the inside.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Barn doors then? Yeah dunno, maybe go talk to the 4WD shop - troopie hang spare wheels off a barn door, they might be able to tell you more.

I guess hang off it yourself monkey style and see what sort of flex you're dealing with?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Pretty sure that size of van would be available with a rear ladder as an option to access the roof.

There might be mounting points?

DMan

Pretty sure that size of van would be available with a rear ladder as an option to access the roof.

There might be mounting points?
I don't think my wife would like that. She had to use a stepladder to get her bike on her Colt roof let alone a van....

DMan

Barn doors then? Yeah dunno, maybe go talk to the 4WD shop - troopie hang spare wheels off a barn door, they might be able to tell you more.

I guess hang off it yourself monkey style and see what sort of flex you're dealing with?
Yep barn doors. That's what this rack is. It's a spare wheel rack but I after looking at it I wondered if maybe I could just bolt it to the door itself. If the door will take the weight....

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not this kind of van?

DMan

Not this kind of van?

Yep it is. Jesus that's an expensive ladder!! The first one anyway. The second bolts to the door it looks like? If the door will take me a on a ladder then surely it will take 2 bikes at 30kg??

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If the door will take me a on a ladder then surely it will take 2 bikes at 30kg??
That's what I'm thinking.

In the text from the ad it says Internal door reinforcing plates included though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Devils advocate though, wonder if that ladder still supports your weight when open? It will take more weight closed than open I'd have thought.

DMan

That's what I'm thinking.

In the text from the ad it says Internal door reinforcing plates included though.
Sorry I misunderstood the ladder thing. I could put some bracing inside the door then. Easy to get to. Might work after all then!

DMan

Devils advocate though, wonder if that ladder still supports your weight when open? It will take more weight closed than open I'd have thought.
That's fair enough. To be honest I'd take the bikes off before I'd open the doors. It's more for travelling so we don't lose too much space having the bikes inside all the time. Plus if I bolt it then it's quite secure and I can lock the bikes to it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's fair enough. To be honest I'd take the bikes off before I'd open the doors. It's more for travelling so we don't lose too much space having the bikes inside all the time. Plus if I bolt it then it's quite secure and I can lock the bikes to it.
Yep, its a good idea for sure. The euro stuff tends to have stronger hinges and thicker metal so I'd say its likely fine if a tin foil troop carrier can take a spare wheel...