VIC Lysterfield Park

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I dont mind Lysty ,

As a 57 year old, I sometimes enjoys the less taxing ride of Red hill where I ride most often,

But it does seem to have the highest percentage of newbie type riders of anywhere else I know, who dont understand trail etiquette , you have to be on guard a bit with that
Lysty has by far the biggest amount of self absorbed riders I've seen per ride.
Still lots of nice people though, so there's hope.

I think what's more worrying than the e-bikes is the amount of dirt bikers I've seen there. Was there the week before and there were 2 men on aneurysm roosting berms. They left bigger marks than any of the e-bikes i've seen.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
What's the go with the CW/ACW thing a while back? Is it in force now? I haven't seen any comms about it or signage to suggest it's one way.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What's the go with the CW/ACW thing a while back? Is it in force now? I haven't seen any comms about it or signage to suggest it's one way.
It's very hard to communicate a one way trail by levelling things with a bobcat so parks are probably going to struggle a bit

From the Ldtr forum:
Please be aware that Blue Rated trails will be moving to one way as of September 1.

This decision has been made in conjunction with Parks Victoria after a survey which was sent out to LDTR Members earlier in the year.

More info at:

I thought signage had been put out, but then I haven't been in over 2 months so maybe not. Possibly it was signed, but disgruntled patrons have ripped them down? You'd think parks would have tried to make it as clear as possible given the song and dance they made about going one way...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
There's notices on the map board near the after hours carpark at least... Have been since before the changeover to one way.

Buuuuut, how many people go look at the board when you've already been out there 100 times?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I'm happy with this one way change, that's the way I ride the complete loop normally... seems the correct way to me o_O

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm happy with this one way change, that's the way I ride the complete loop normally... seems the correct way to me o_O
I did 90% of the time too, but I resent being told I can't go the other way when I've been going both ways for 10 years and helped build/maintain with the dual directions in mind.

I kinda get the reason behind it, the place is packed in a weekend. I'd probably be a lot more receptive if it was only one way on weekends maybe. Or if parks weren't being such jerkwads about everything at the moment.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ignoring my personal view that the one-way system is stupid, I actually almost head a head-on this afternoon because the bloke going the wrong way hadn't read the signs, and I wasn't paying attention because I just didn't expect to see anyone so I was "mind in neutral" and just rolling along. If I wasn't aware of the changes I would have been paying attention and seen him in heaps of time to make sure we avoided each other.

Been a while (at least 10-12 weeks) since I'd ridden at Lysty; there seem to be a lot more alternate/B lines especially around tech sections on the uphill bits - are these legit changes or have people just blazed a new trail because they can't be arsed?
Also, has aneurysm been updated wit a few new jumps in the middle of the track that have rocks on top of them? I don't remeber them at all if they aren't and they really threw me.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Ignoring my personal view that the one-way system is stupid, I actually almost head a head-on this afternoon because the bloke going the wrong way hadn't read the signs, and I wasn't paying attention because I just didn't expect to see anyone so I was "mind in neutral" and just rolling along. If I wasn't aware of the changes I would have been paying attention and seen him in heaps of time to make sure we avoided each other.

Been a while (at least 10-12 weeks) since I'd ridden at Lysty; there seem to be a lot more alternate/B lines especially around tech sections on the uphill bits - are these legit changes or have people just blazed a new trail because they can't be arsed?
Also, has aneurysm been updated wit a few new jumps in the middle of the track that have rocks on top of them? I don't remeber them at all if they aren't and they really threw me.
Aneurysm had a bit of a clean up, but they didnt change any of the features as far as I could tell.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I kinda get the reason behind it, the place is packed in a weekend. I'd probably be a lot more receptive if it was only one way on weekends maybe. Or if parks weren't being such jerkwads about everything at the moment.
Like I said, CW on Saturdays ACW on Sundays. I've ridden Lysty a few times since and still can't see signs lol. Maybe I need to ride backwards to see the one way signs?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
They could just put these across whole width of the track every once in a while to enforce one way traffic
To make it work, you'd have to make sure 100% that there is no b line and to make extra sure that there is no way you can possibly go backwards make it at least a 2m drop.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I did 90% of the time too, but I resent being told I can't go the other way when I've been going both ways for 10 years and helped build/maintain with the dual directions in mind.

There was a well promoted and accessible public consultation process. Feedback was clear for, and about the benefits of a one way trail system.
LDTR website is also clear about the reasons for that, which includes amongst others the opportunity to further develop the technical aspect of said trails, as respondents (here and in survey) have requested.
PV, well they are working collaboratively and successfully with many clubs and trail maintenance groups (including LDTR, PGMTB, YRMTB, RHMTB, GMTB, YYMTB, YTT, etc) to provide the facilities we all enjoy. I believe (pers coms. with middle Yarra Chief Ranger) there are at least 80 mtb projects supported and funded by PV on the go in Victoria as we speak.
So, how is it they are "jerkwads" by your assessment exactly?
While we certainly need labor on trail, often the hardest bit is trail advocacy with land managers, followed by mtb cohort, or maybe vice a versa based on your response shows..

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
There was a well promoted and accessible public consultation process. Feedback was clear for, and about the benefits of a one way trail system.
LDTR website is also clear about the reasons for that, which includes amongst others the opportunity to further develop the technical aspect of said trails, as respondents (here and in survey) have requested.
PV, well they are working collaboratively and successfully with many clubs and trail maintenance groups (including LDTR, PGMTB, YRMTB, RHMTB, GMTB, YYMTB, YTT, etc) to provide the facilities we all enjoy. I believe (pers coms. with middle Yarra Chief Ranger) there are at least 80 mtb projects supported and funded by PV on the go in Victoria as we speak.
So, how is it they are "jerkwads" by your assessment exactly?
While we certainly need labor on trail, often the hardest bit is trail advocacy with land managers, followed by mtb cohort, or maybe vice a versa based on your response shows..
I'll try as hard as I can to choose my words carefully here. I respect your opinion and it seems you have more direct contact with them than I do.

The consultation process on the one direction change felt to me a lot more like "we're doing this thing, you can agree and benefit from it or you can disagree and we'll do it anyway". As far as I'm aware, there was never going to be any amount of disagreement that would have put a stop to it. I have only second hand info so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I have to step back and say fair enough though because the user group that was given to opportunity to speak up was overwhelmingly in favour of it. I feel they were wrong, but that's just my opinion and the masses spoke. I don't like our current federal government either but that's what was voted in.

The "jerkwads" comment is another opinion. Of course if you like one way trails and less/easier features you'll feel differently. Wallaby hop was made official, giving me such high hopes for the future. Then it was levelled with no real consultation, there was a week or so notice then it was turned into a walking track. Parks also seem to be lumping Ldtr in with the illegal trail builders, or at least trying to hold Ldtr accountable for their actions. There's more but I think we'd be getting into he said she said stuff and I won't waste time trying to argue those. Also I've had a whole extra beer since embarking on this response and it's getting harder to articulate without sounding like the bogan I am

I understand it's their land and we're lucky to have access to it. I understand that my opinion isn't the same as everyone's, but I'm also not alone on it. The recent 'vibe' I get is one of heavy handedness. I want to say more but on a public forum I don't think it'd be wise. Maybe some of the info I've gotten is incorrect, but I like to think my sources are at least reasonably reliable.