Customer Service Warning

OH64

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't usually go out of my way to review or warn people of terrible customer service...but this was over the top and never been treated so poorly in the bike industry in my life.

I purchased a bike from my LBS (no naming when there is only one side of the story). After a month rear shock Fox X2 blew, 240hub bearings seized, Rear saint brake had that funky variable bite point - too far in followed by too far out, chain had snapped rollers, Also fox 36 forks felt crap with terrible small bump sensitivity, pulled off lowers only to be met with maybe 1ml of fork oil in each leg, no oil on foam rings and no lube in the seals themselves. Gave the forks a service myself as since they were already apart it was only a 5 minute job to put the right fluids in, but figured the rest was warranty issues that I should't have to deal with myself. Bikes turned out to quite the lemon considering its all high end parts and this is all in the space of a month of it being a brand new bike.

Upon picking up the bike, they handed it to me and said all was well. As I was wheeling the bike out I grabbed rear brake, it pulled almost to the bar, thought, this is odd. Noticed that rear tyre was flat...then also noticed rear shock was 2/3rds of way through its stroke. So they had handed me a bike with flat tyre, rear shock with no air, rear brake that was still not fixed.

I confronted the mechanic, after asking how hey would not notice a flat tyre and rear shock and still terrible rear brake - I was told that they never test ride bikes, as they would never ride another persons bike. After a bit of a discussion I was told" You should probably fuck off and take your bike with you". At which point it started to get abit heated as I was not getting anywhere with the issues I had. After sorting the rear tyre and putting some air in the shock I figured I would come back another time and hope the mechanic had calmed down or there would be another mechanic on hand.

Once home I setup the rear shock and turns out.....it doesn't hold air, loss of 30psi after about 20 minutes. Took it for a test ride anyway to see what else was wrong, turns out not only does the shock not hold air but my rear brake still has a variable bite point, but they also contaminated both my front and rear pads as they now have terrible bite and squeal like crazy, which they never did before.

I rang up the store, asked for the owner. Lets just say that went as poorly as expected and was told that my brakes must have been like that before I came into the store...When I asked how they would know since they don't test ride bikes that they service - I was met with no answer, lots of arguing ensued and finally lost my temper and owner hungup on me.

Needless to say after waiting for 2 weeks for my bike to have warranty repairs I now have a bike in far worse condition after being "serviced" than before it went in. Owner basically doesn't want anything to do with me or the bike and every question is followed by "I've been in the industry for 30 years so I know what I'm doing"

Only reason I bought the bike form them was due to the fact that the bike I wanted was on sale and almost no stock left in Victoria, figured that I wouldn't really ever visit the shop since I do all my own repairs. Little did I know that I would have so many warranty issues straight out of the gate, as I have had zero warranty issues with previous bikes.

And people might just think I am a disgruntled customer trying to ruin a shops reputation....but then I managed to dig up some reviews of other people from google, some snippets below.

"Be warned - the owner is very unpleasant person. Will try to scam you and when you point him to this he'll get all angry and will swear as if you've tried to do something bad. If there was a negative scoring I'd give it -100. My advice - save your money for a more customer oriented business. "

I would have to say my experience was the worst I have come across.

These guys are salesmen first and everything else is secondary. If you enjoy being lied straight to the face, then this is the place for you. They'll string you along and rip you off. They'll also grumble and groan taking your money, leaving a nice sour note to your day or more precisely to a few weeks of your life dealing with them.

"Utterly bizarre experience. The guy I spoke to was almost comically rude, like a bike shop Basil Fawlty. "

"i wouldnt recommend this place for service if you value your bikes, droped my bike in for service and what came out was a bike with a damaged chainring :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That’s pretty ordinary. Sounds like they were flogging off the bike they cannibalised to get some other bikes out the door, and you got left with all the faulty parts.

From the other reviews, it does sound like they are going out of their way to be painful to deal with. As always though, you’re entitled to repair or refund under Australian consumer law, no weaseling out of that.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Write to them clearly stating the issues with the bike and requesting that they advise within 7 days how they intend to fully rectify the problems.

What brand of bike is it? CC the manufacturer / distributor / manufacturer in to the correspondence.

OH64

Likes Dirt
That’s pretty ordinary. Sounds like they were flogging off the bike they cannibalised to get some other bikes out the door, and you got left with all the faulty parts.

From the other reviews, it does sound like they are going out of their way to be painful to deal with. As always though, you’re entitled to repair or refund under Australian consumer law, no weaseling out of that.
Nah its all stock, just Universe seems to want to fuck me over haha.

I will take it further, just shitty with my current circumstances but yeah, not what I wanted from a new bike.

OH64

Likes Dirt
Write to them clearly stating the issues with the bike and requesting that they advise within 7 days how they intend to fully rectify the problems.

What brand of bike is it? CC the manufacturer / distributor / manufacturer in to the correspondence.
Yeah others have suggested I contact the manufacturer to let them know that one of their stores treats their customers so poorly. Time to write some e-mails I suppose.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sorry to hear about your horrible experience, a new bike day should always be the best day of your life feeling. In all honesty i would try for a full refund and go to a shop that really wants to have your business. If they don't want to refund, I would rather pay out of my pocket and get it all repaired Properly elsewhere before going back and have some disgruntled or vindictive wanker damage more things on the bike by being overly rough with it. Some people just aren't worth the time of day to deal with, by what you've said it shows the signs of a really bad business.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What bike is it?

How did DT hub bearing seize in a month? That seems unusual.

The shock sounds like a warranty issue for sure, unless you’ve had it apart already.

The fork issue is typical, just service them yourself.

The variable bite point is a known issue on those brakes isn’t it, or just a bleed issue in your case?

OH64

Likes Dirt
What bike is it?

How did DT hub bearing seize in a month? That seems unusual.

The shock sounds like a warranty issue for sure, unless you’ve had it apart already.

The fork issue is typical, just service them yourself.

The variable bite point is a known issue on those brakes isn’t it, or just a bleed issue in your case?
Ahh its a Merida e160 900E...don't hate me for being an ebiker haha health issues unfortunately led me to be an ebiker...otherwise there is a perfectly good sc bronson collecting dust in the shed I cant ride, which annoys me to no end.

Yeah not sure on the dt bearings, mate is dt brand manager so i'll have to ask him what gives.

Shock initially developed compression issues but was holding air, now the day I get it back from warranty, it's loosing air. Removed air and sure enough it's a hand grenade as it's stuck down and leaking into negative air chamber.

Known issue with shimanos that I figured after so many years they'd have fixed - except this store says they've never heard of it..which is complete bs or they have in 30 years of service bled literally no brakes as my old xts do exactly the same and when I was a mechanic sent off many shimano brakes for this very reason.

Yeah wasn't stressed by the forks, have all fluids on hand and is a quick easy job. Pretty pisspoor qc on fox behalf for their top shelf brand new fork

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ahh its a Merida e160 900E...
Shit experience ! You only have the standard issues that most of us could have with a regular bike... and they can't seem to fix that.

You need to pray you don't have electric or motor drive issues.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Contact Advance Traders. Go over the store's head seeing as they clearly don't have your best interests at heart.
The good people at Advance Traders would be livid someone riding a Merida has been treated this way.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Warranties mean diddly squat in Australia - bike or cars or anything.

Buy the tools, learn the skills and sort it out yourself. It’s less hassle and sometimes even cheaper in the long run.

Cars or bikes, ever bought brand new I treat as if they’re used with no warranty. It has to be a catastrophic and/or obscenely expensive before I’ll “risk” a warranty claim....

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Contact Advance Traders. Go over the store's head seeing as they clearly don't have your best interests at heart.
The good people at Advance Traders would be livid someone riding a Merida has been treated this way.
This!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Seems an awful lot of issues for a new build. The chain and hub especially. And I am not saying it is acceptable but if you did nothing to contribute to the issue (neglect or abuse) I wouldnt want to go back there.

Best bet is to try and find the distributer and go in person with the bike. And stay calm, these guys didnt cause the issues. Explain you experience to date and ask them to find you a shop to correct the problems.

Edit: If it is Advanced Traders (as above) they are in a building on the 4th floor at 19 Lang Parade in Milton. I used to work thereabouts. Those guys are passionate about bikes, I used to joke with them about various bikes and they would heap shit on my Bronson. Goingbto be hard to go in obviously if you are in Mexico. Call them and explain, get them somes pics to see the issues. Leave the attitude at home.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
Warranties mean diddly squat in Australia - bike or cars or anything.
No. Warranties are an obligation of the retailer to repair or replace the products they sell if they are proven to be faulty. Warranties are a legally binding agreement but even then do not substitute or override consumer law which offers greater protection again, as the product must be fit for purpose which often extends well outside of the manufacturers timeframe.

As an example if you buy a bike with a 12 month warranty and the frame snaps after 13 months the bike is/was not "fit for purpose" as a frame should last longer than barely a year and under consumer law you would be entitled to a replacement. This is an example only.

On a tangent, the thing with bike warranties that shits me the most is when they replace the "frame" but refuse to fit the parts from the old bike or worse yet, if the specs change they make you buy replacement parts to suit the new frame. This is a breach of consumer law, but I digest.

Ultimately the issue lies with how far the consumer wishes to push the issue as if the retailer and/or manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty or consumer law then your recourse is ACCC, which are a toothless tiger, or court proceedings.

You will need everything in writing however so yes, an email to the store detailing all the issues is vital to get their response.

OH64 best course of action now/after the response, is to call the manufacturer (or their agent) and attempt to deal directly with them. If they still get no joy them Merida directly and then ACCC or then court.

Proving the brakes were contaminated by the store should not be difficult, unless the store can demonstrate that the OP or a third party has attempted to service/fix the braking issue and contaminated the pads themselves. If not then the fault will lie either from the part of the servicing agent.

Good luck with it and like many things in life you just need to be patient and persistent and never take no for an answer. Giving a rightful mouthful to a rude and useless mechanic/owner does not forfeit the law so make sure you continue to stick it right to them.