What does your day look like?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We are on tank water and given the lack of rain pretty much across the country I need to keep an eye on tank levels. I have to say we are in a pretty comfortable position at the moment unlike so many others to the west. Anyway I have two main tanks, 65kL fed off the house, carport and gazebo (tank structure), so plenty of roof area and 20kL fed off the machinery shed which is only about 50m2. Tanks are about 80m apart. Main tank was just under 50% and the shed tank full so time to run a little down into the main tank. No point in leaving the shed tank full because when it rains that water will just flush though and out on the ground and likewise emptying the shed tank means the main tank will overflow earlier while the shed tank is fairly empty.

In the past I have used cheap irrigation piping but it is a pain to roll up and store so a couple of years ago I bought layflat and use that. Still a pain to roll up but at least it takes up much less space. So I had a thought, why not grab an old fire hose reel and use that. Picked up a decommissioned hose reel and made it so the tractor bucket can grab the frame and let it free wheel. Worked a treat. Neatly wound up (ish) and easy to roll out and roll up. Best part is I don't have to pick anything up, just move it around with the tractor! Drop it in the shed when finished.

Shed tank is now at 50% and the main tank a bee's dick over 60%.

Rain, rain come today, go away another day.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The local council are making multiple water access points available across the region, up to 1,000L at a time. This is to help people waiting on water deliveries. Pleasantly surprised.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The spring we are using is a community resource...this summer like the last will test it. Hopefully, like last summer, it lasts...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Finally got around to ordering the ballustrading this week:

Just now finished the first part of the side deck - looks like nothing but mega amount of fiddly bits:

Ignore the lattice - temporary cat barrier.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How come you have a temporary cat?

Quickie lathe job. Helping a mate build an NA 2.0 Cosworth. It will be fed by either ITBs or twin 50 DCOE Webers. Either way it will run a NoDiz. The distributor also spins the oil pump so that bit needs to stay unless you spend $1.8B on a dry sump kit.

So first off was to remove all the bits that aren't needed.

And then turn up the lower section to suit. Needed to take the bush out of the upper section and bore the lower and press in the bush. Still to trim the section that clamps the distributor in and make a cap to cover the spinny bit. No need to retain the shaft because it is positioned on the oil pump and two thrust washers will take up the slack. Shaft is greased before installation and a little oil will make its way so job done!

This was a test, have a nice new looking shaft and gear to go into the housing. Also some numpty used an inhex socket to drift the shaft out of the gear and the hex is stuck in the oil pump drive...

stirk

Burner
On the Mid North coast for a wedding, bit of fishing on the side and I found a very ironic Telstra ad on a fixed line pay phone in a small town which has next to zero mobile reception.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Post ride fuel - German style. Schnitzel, potato, cabbage and beer.
Where are you at? Looks like around Munich. If you get a chance, do the ride to Bad Tolz for lunch. A mate's friend has just moved his 2 Michelin star restaurant Schwingshackl Esskultur to there (and lost his stars) which means you get to eat some amazing food at pretty reasonable prices. We've been going there all the time because once he gets his stars back the prices will be an order of magnitude higher.

If you've only got an arvo or morning free, then check out the Mangfall Weg with morning or afternoon tea at Valley.