Derby in Tassi

Binaural

Eats Squid
Jeez, now I'm a bit nervous. I'm headed over on the boat for the last 2 weeks in January and planned our first stop to be Derby for 3-4 days... I wonder if I'll get a tent spot.
You should be able to find somewhere, you might just have a bit less space than expected!

rstim

Likes Dirt
Jeez, now I'm a bit nervous. I'm headed over on the boat for the last 2 weeks in January and planned our first stop to be Derby for 3-4 days... I wonder if I'll get a tent spot.
There is always Winnaleah and Branxholm if you get stuck, but I'm sure you'll find somewhere in Derby. There is heaps of room all along the river.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I'd be rapt to stay in the pub grounds at Weldborough but I'm not sure my kids would find it as exciting :) Does anyone swim in the river at Derby?

rstim

Likes Dirt
Yeah the river is safe to swim in, its lovely on a got summers day. There is also an annual raft race ( Derby river Derby) that usually happens in October.

binner

Hath shat hymself
if its packed out in Derby just drive 5 min outta Derby to Winnaleah and camp on the footy oval or ask Di if you can camp out the back of her pub in Winnaleah

watch

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
Do you need more than EXO casings in Derby?

I've got both EXO and EXO+ casing tyres, and I usually run a huck norris in the rear tyre. But I wouldn't mind running an EXO casing tyre that I've had for a while (which has only been used on the front) and wouldn't mind wearing it out!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Derby is smooth, big rocks and non puncture terrain. The worst you will get there is a pinch flat... from YOUR non ability to do tyre pressures each morning.

I'd be more looking at grip, what tyres ? Minions are great if you shuttle, there are a few new Maxxis that are good... I'm sure others are up there too.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Now thinking Minion DHF front and rear. I have a DHR2 in EXO+, but hear the DHF is faster rolling. Or would this be too much for Derby?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Now thinking Minion DHF front and rear. I have a DHR2 in EXO+, but hear the DHF is faster rolling. Or would this be too much for Derby?
The DHF double would work well. Derby is pedally. I massively overbiked with a 180/160mm enduro rig with downhill tires and really suffered on the climbs.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SDA

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Derby is smooth, big rocks and non puncture terrain. The worst you will get there is a pinch flat... from YOUR non ability to do tyre pressures each morning.

I'd be more looking at grip, what tyres ? Minions are great if you shuttle, there are a few new Maxxis that are good... I'm sure others are up there too.
Mostly correct however Shearpin springs to mind.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You underestimate my ability huck into rocks.
There was a bit of irony in my reply, 2 young blokes I know who get drilled about tyre pressures also did some rock hucking with about 15psi... let me buy you a new tyre for your laziness.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Agree Shearpin has some sharp rocks .
BTW how are those 2 wall ride granite sheet things at 35-40 degrees ????
Just back from Derby . Awesome again . twice as busy as 1.5 yrs ago.
New tracks eg Kingswall since last there .

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Agree Shearpin has some sharp rocks .
BTW how are those 2 wall ride granite sheet things at 35-40 degrees ????
Just back from Derby . Awesome again . twice as busy as 1.5 yrs ago.
New tracks eg Kingswall since last there .
Those wall rides gave me some true heart in mouth moments.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

rstim

Likes Dirt
Just gotta learn to trust the Derby granite it's bloody grippy stuff especially on skin! I never really gave it a thought until a mate said he had trouble there.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at heading up in February with a few mates. I've been there once before about 2 years ago pretty much when I was just getting into mountain biking and had more money than skill. We just did Atlas and Blue Tier, we tried to do Trouty but were too shit for it. Since then we've progressed quite a bit but I am still worried we will not be able to ride all the trails there.
Can anyone recommend a few trails in VIC that might have comparable difficulty to the ones in Derby?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Of the areas I know I would recommend Falls Creek, Beechworth and Harcourt similar terrain .
Just been to Derby with some not such experienced riders and they loved it. Bring elbow + knee guards.
A bit of practice on granitey areas such as above and you will be fine on blue stuff Clickity, Return to sender , Kingswall then go to Black Stump do it slowly ie not w macho mates and walk the bits of Shearpin which it joins and repeat/ session each section or walk the bits you dont like .
As above forget the granite sheets=you need speed =I wont ride them.

Last edited: