Tell me about riding in Bright

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The whole idea is a stupid thought bubble.
No one has thought this thru, it would cost all the fees just to adminster it .

moorey

call me Mia
Shuttle roads aren't private rally tracks and it only takes a couple of dickheads to draw the wrong kind of attention......compared to fuel of running up and down all day
I used $10-15 in fuel over 5h max. And I was driving super fast and doing mad skids.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
- there's always some absolute fuck-knuckles who drive private shuttle vehicles too fast on busy shared roads. Shuttle roads aren't private rally tracks and it only takes a couple of dickheads to draw the wrong kind of attention, which would be my guess as to what's happened here.
Agreed, they are everywhere, Fox Creek here in SA, Bright and everywhere else, in Derby in Tas... they even park at the trail head when there are signs asking people not to, I just hope the same shit does not go down there. Dedicating the road to 3-4 shuttle operators.

The missus was on UHF talk with the Mad MTB and Vertigo lot, one of them gave here a flyer explaining where to announce your intent... she thought she was Big 10 rubber ducky with all the lingo.

Its a hard situation with the residents complaining about dust, hope it works out ok for everyone.

Like a lot of places, the Drawbridge Mentality comes in to effect. You move to somewhere that is vibrant and full of life, then complain when that life and vibrance that you moved there for, then becomes something to complain about.... MTB Bright is awesome, I have just moved next to the trailhead... Oh the dust is terrible, stop these MTB dickheads.

moorey

call me Mia
Its a hard situation with the residents complaining about dust, hope it works out ok for everyone.
Road is sealed until about 400-500m past any residential area.

I’m perfectly happy to pay a fee for self shuttling. A ‘one size fits all’ of nearly $140 is impractical. It’s designed to discourage road use, not cover maintenance.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Road is sealed until about 400-500m past any residential area.

I’m perfectly happy to pay a fee for self shuttling. A ‘one size fits all’ of nearly $140 is impractical. It’s designed to discourage road use, not cover maintenance.
They have openly stated that they need to reduce the traffic. Even if the price was reasonable, there would still be limited passes available.

They want to reduce peak traffic by 75% to around 200 movements a day max. If each car averages a conservative 10 runs a day, that's 20 passes max. If one run is counted as two traffic movements (1 up and one down), that's 10 passes max a day......

ozzybmx

They want to reduce peak traffic by 75% to around 200 movements a day max. If each car averages a conservative 10 runs a day, that's 20 passes max. If one run is counted as two traffic movements (1 up and one down), that's 10 passes max a day......
I can only see that as a tourism hit, Bright is all about Mountains... Mt Buffalo and all the walks, sights. Mt Beauty, Hotham, Falls... the awesome little town(s). The High Country drives, 4WD tracks ect... but at the end of the day, Dad is a MTBer and is looking forward to a few runs before a few beers at the brewery and dinner. You cant fit that into an hour on a family holiday without a shuttle if the missus is pressing you for time.

I understand the reason behind it, just cant fathom the logic on the tourism hit.

We love Bright as a family... I can tell you 100%, we won't be back if a daily $132 fee is put on the MTB trails. There are plenty of other places we have not tried due to our love of Bright, the MTBer tax is hard to swallow and we will go elsewhere.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be up there for my first time in November, so looks like I will just miss the start of this.

Most likely I'll be riding up anyway, but might be an opportunity for a quick couple of shuttle runs. No way in hell I'd ever pay that price, but I'm also generally a very early morning rider, much too early for a shuttle company to give me a lift up.

Boom King

I understand the reason behind it, just cant fathom the logic on the tourism hit.

We love Bright as a family... I can tell you 100%, we won't be back if a daily $132 fee is put on the MTB trails. There are plenty of other places we have not tried due to our love of Bright, the MTBer tax is hard to swallow and we will go elsewhere.
I feel your pain but the land manager isn't concerned with the tourism hit. They will say there is no charge to ride the trails, just to use the road. Everyone is free to ride wherever they want in the bike park.

ozzybmx

the land manager isn't concerned with the tourism hit.
Cheers BK, so who actually owns the roads ? Has a lease on them or are they public roads ?
The Vic High Country is full of unmade roads, some really smashed up by 4WD's but this looks different, a tax on MTB and families.

Boom King

Cheers BK, so who actually owns the roads ? Has a lease on them or are they public roads ?
The Vic High Country is full of unmade roads, some really smashed up by 4WD's but this looks different, a tax on MTB and families.
Pretty sure they are public roads but HVP have a lease on the land to run a working pine plantation. They have engaged ACP as the land manager, who fund the building and maintenance of Hero and Shred Kellys. From what I can gather, they also fund the maintenance of the roads.

ozzybmx

Just googled it,
APC- Alpine Community Plantations
HVP - Harvest Plans for Mystic Plantations.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Fook there was a lot of dust on my car ... and it was parked at the trail head down the bottom for about 5 hrs only ... I can only imagine what residents at the bottom would be experiencing.

that said ..
Fuck you bastards within easy drive are lucky ... rode ... Wodonga, Beechworth, Bright, falls ... missed Yak, the other place starting with a P ... however it’s spelt

place is fracking awesome ... towns were lovely ... food was great ... Locals were the best ... scenery is sick ... terrain and the amount of space is crazy ... number of shingle back racks was thru the roof ... bikes fracking everywhere, even if it was mostly rail trail ... which was sick to see ... soooo much more potential for the area.

if my wife would allow me, we’d be living down their already. Beechworth was my pick to live at ... the crushed granite is a hoot to ride :)

If this was in NZ it would be several times bigger and all the above BS would have been sorted a decade or more ago .. When I was actually fit and could ride more of it.

the 7.5 hour drive back home left me thinking ... NSW needs to pull its finger out ... Wollongong, Blue Mountains, Newcastle and surrounds could all benefit from this kinda cycle tourism ... meh.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
the 7.5 hour drive back home left me thinking ... NSW needs to pull its finger out ... Wollongong, Blue Mountains, Newcastle and surrounds could all benefit from this kinda cycle tourism ... meh.
For sure. The region around Sydney really struggles with national parks and property developers nose to nose and not much thought given for recreation other than bush walking.

A real shame as there's a lot of potential.