Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll be looking to update the old navara soon. It’s been faultless, but getting long in the tooth.
Budget will be around $20k.
Needs to be:
4x4
Dual cab
Prefer tray, tub possibly.
5-6yo max
Lowish km. (under 150k)
Bullbar and towbar.

Pretty much limited to another navara, or a triton for the money and checklist. Not fussed if a base model and missing the mod cons.

Everyone seems to loathe the tritons, but most don’t say why or haven’t owned one. Navaras are super vanilla, and polarise people, but there’s a million around that are going strong.

Any thoughts on the above, or other options?
Don’t tell me to buy a hilix, and as much as I’d like a ranger, they’re out of budget.

Cheers.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Triton.

should be able to get a 2013/14 for that price tag under 100k.

Pretty much every other ute of that era had an absolute plethora of problems. Triton's had a recall on the engines and faulty ones had all new blocks.

owned a 2012 and put 110k towing a 1000-1600kg gardening trailer every day and didn't miss a single beat. paint is thin and scratches/fades/marks easily and interior is Hyundai-esque but is the absolute best bang for buck you will get.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m happy with basic AF interior, and I’d love one with a rough body...coz I’ll be making it worse very quickly shuttling bikes and carting wood through the bush.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Tritons have their issues but they are cheap and good value for money. As you wont be climbing everest in it the only thing I suggest is google the various engine issues and be schooled on that before trying. The seats are shit but that is the whole phalanx of dual cabs. I like the Isuzu/RC Colorado because the 4JJ engine is my pick of the baby common rail motors.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Everyone seems to loathe the tritons, but most don’t say why or haven’t owned one.

Cheers.
To elaborate. Every other 4wd ute owner who doesn't own a triton hates them because they cost $10k less than what they bought and don't have half the problems so they feel the need to justify why they made the wrong purchasing choice.

You often hear "yeah my ranger shat it's motor and has cost me $10k but that's better than driving those crappy Tritons" or "I paid $60k for a Hilux because they're the best car ever, but I can't work out why my fuel economy is crap and it blows smoke"? cough-class action-cough.

Jpez

Down on the left!
“Nothing scares a Triton” except for its own face!
Fugliest Ute out there.

I’ve got current BT50 and I’ll admit it’s not the prettiest either but it hauls. I’ve got a steel tray and boxes and racks and it never complains with a full tandem and loaded to the gunnels with gear.
Doesn’t feel as refined to drive as a Hilux or a Ranger but for the price I’m not complaining.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hilux has to be last place on any list of dual cabs with common rail motors!

You can make any of them drive ok with springs and suspenders.

moorey

call me Mia
“Nothing scares a Triton” except for its own face!
Fugliest Ute out there.

I’ve got current BT50 and I’ll admit it’s not the prettiest either but it hauls. I’ve got a steel tray and boxes and racks and it never complains with a full tandem and loaded to the gunnels with gear.
Doesn’t feel as refined to drive as a Hilux or a Ranger but for the price I’m not complaining.
Yeah, Triton not the prettiest, but that’s bottom of my list, TBH, along with peoples dislike of them.

moorey

call me Mia
Tritons have their issues but they are cheap and good value for money. As you wont be climbing everest in it the only thing I suggest is google the various engine issues and be schooled on that before trying. The seats are shit but that is the whole phalanx of dual cabs. I like the Isuzu/RC Colorado because the 4JJ engine is my pick of the baby common rail motors.
Google any and you find issues. More Tritons and Navaras means more hits.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Google any and you find issues. More Tritons and Navaras means more hits.
Yes but I have seen quite a few go through the workshop with dead engines. Or at least for engine swaps. Most are abused though I think. Missing services etc.

A Triton will be fine, it is not as though anyone has to see you driving it.

Staunch

Eats Squid
You won’t find a decent, low km Isuzu for $20k.
Nah but there are a few reasonable condition RCs getting around. When I was looking last year there were a few decent ones (2011/2012) for $13-15k. Slightly out of your year range but would still be fine.

I was honestly surprised time and time again by the capability of my mates one which was essentially fully stock. We did some stuff in that I would be concerned to do in a modded 4WD.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That’s going to be the onion in the ointment.
Well that’s an old timey saying.

I thought you’d have trouble with the single cab and the 230k it’s clocked up. Fair enough though, please is difficult.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if your not fussy on brand names, I have one of these and it has been a great rig..great 4x4 out in the bush
they have run these a few times in the Dakar rally, and there is a good review from some saffers that took one along Baboon Pass in Africa.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradies/foton-tunland-2018-review-4x4-auto-73061
2nd market is where these really shine, as people tend to stick with brands they know...be it good or bad!
food for thought anyway!