Strava drops Bluetooth support

link1896

Mr Greenfield
“When you record a workout on Strava, it’s our job to make sure your effort is captured accurately and reliably. We recently discovered that pairing Bluetooth heart rate monitors and power meters directly with the app is causing Strava to crash for millions of athletes — most of whom don’t even use these kinds of sensors. So to significantly improve the stability of the app, we’ll no longer support direct Bluetooth and ANT+ device pairing as of October 28th, 2019.

If you record activities using a GPS watch or bike computer, this change will not affect you at all. But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. We know that even small changes in your routine or equipment can make a big difference, so we appreciate your understanding.

And if you’re feeling ready to try recording on a watch instead of your phone, our friends at Polar are generously offering 20% off their Polar Vantage line until the end of October 2019, exclusively for Strava athletes who have used direct pairing in the past.* Take a look at their lineup and use this personal, one-time use code at checkout: STR-PM2B-PXEG-GB59

Here’s to your efforts making it into the books. Every time.

The Strava Team”

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Marketing about bike riding . I just like pottering along looking at my surrounds.
Love a technical challenge esp rocks Dont care who is ahead or behind.
Encourage anyone new .
I dont quite understand " for millions of athletes" " Here’s to your efforts making it into the books. Every time. "
It sounds very competitive and a bit look at me.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
"we can't be arsed fixing a bug in our systems, so we'll just remove some functionality"

If I was paying for it, I'd be miffed with this. But as a free user, they can do whatever they want.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Marketing about bike riding . I just like pottering along looking at my surrounds.
Love a technical challenge esp rocks Dont care who is ahead or behind.
Encourage anyone new .
I dont quite understand " for millions of athletes" " Here’s to your efforts making it into the books. Every time. "
It sounds very competitive and a bit look at me.
If you don't record your ride on Strava, did you even really ride?

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
"we can't be arsed fixing a bug in our systems, so we'll just remove some functionality"

If I was paying for it, I'd be miffed with this. But as a free user, they can do whatever they want.

These sorts of decisions are rarely about arsed/can't be arsed. If they've got decent product management it'll be a completely rational decision based on the number of users affected vs. the resources available to resolve it (and continue supporting it).

If they've only got a very small fraction of users directly pairing HR monitors with the phone (which I suspect is the case) then most people are going to be much better off if the dev team spends their time on new features rather than supporting a plethora of monitors some of which probably have their own bugs that Strava is being forced to workaround.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These sorts of decisions are rarely about arsed/can't be arsed. If they've got decent product management it'll be a completely rational decision based on the number of users affected vs. the resources available to resolve it (and continue supporting it).

If they've only got a very small fraction of users directly pairing HR monitors with the phone (which I suspect is the case) then most people are going to be much better off if the dev team spends their time on new features rather than supporting a plethora of monitors some of which probably have their own bugs that Strava is being forced to workaround.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Yeah surely anyone who is right into their data will be recording into their device rather than the strava app? What is the point of HR, cadence, power etc info if it’s just recorded on the phone in your pocket and not displayed on the bars infront of you? I know people mount their phones on the bars but I doubt that is the type of user that will be affected by the change..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Without turning it into a debate to rival the wheel size argument, I love strava for data analysis. I’m on the long hard path of surpassing my 2016 fitness peak, post illness. It’s depressing and motivating simultaneously looking at that old data.

The strava app itself has always sucked, I doubt it will be an issue for most people going forward. Dedicated devices or other apps collect data from Bluetooth devices much better.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
pity i just started using a hr strap, will have to record on my giant neos...only problem is strava stopped syncing properly couple wks back

discofrank

Likes Dirt
had a wahoo bluetooth hr for at least 3 yrs, not one issue at all 9 paired to at least 3 different phones

i dont look at hr during ride, more a good way of getting an idea on how well my hr is climbing etc

i did see a few cheap garmins i might use now :(

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
had a wahoo bluetooth hr for at least 3 yrs, not one issue at all 9 paired to at least 3 different phones

i dont look at hr during ride, more a good way of getting an idea on how well my hr is climbing etc

i did see a few cheap garmins i might use now :(
The Wahoo and Lezyne computers are better value.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I do see them come up on fb sometimes for crazy low prices.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk