Confessions from the fuckwits

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rebuilt my sons bike to 1x11 a while back. Leftover gear from my old frame. He’s ridden it probably a dozen times, including a race last week. Gears had been playing up a bit so I adjusted the barrel thingy and it got a bit better. Was running pretty rough in low gears, but just thought it was the extra chain tension. Had another look on the weekend and adjusted the b limit screw and it got a little better.

Then I noticed the chain the wrong way through the derailleur, you know, the tab on the cage on the wrong side of the chain thing. Re-routed t by separating the cage and ... smooth as butter like it should be. He’s probably done a couple of hundred km on it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
"you know, the tab on the cage on the wrong side of the chain thing"
Easily done esp. if assembled upside down would be rough and noisy though .

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
So... I don't attend this forum enough these days, so might as well make it memorable by posting a worthy achievement in the fuckwits thread.
Decided that it'd be a good idea to give the wife's somewhat aged Specialized a bit of an upgrade, which included new Shimano brakes from overseas. Noted that they were European brake lever set up, and noted that its possible to swap them over once without (hopefully) requiring a rebleed.

In my wisdom, I had worked out that it was probably easier to swap the hoses at the caliper end rather than the lever. Checked the brakes, did a test fit, saw that the levers were indeed european style. Grabbed the crow's foot hose tool, loosened off each of the retaining nuts, swapped the hoses over and retightened. Great, very little play in the levers, don't need a bleed. Checked the brakes again, hang on, lever is still wrong. Maybe it was set correctly for Australian the first time and I just looked at it wrong.

Repeated the process, held the lever up, still on the wrong side. I may have been tired at the time, because I did it at least once more before I finally realised and swapped the fucking hoses at the lever end. By this time both levers are spongey as all fuck and I've managed to get trace amounts of mineral oil all over the place.

Fuckwit.
Oh well, off to buy a Shimano bleed kit this time, knowing that I didn't have one as all my other brakes use DOT, and now I need to bleed brand new brakes with a bleed kit I don't yet have.
Double fuckwit.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Rat on my mate as I don't think he's a member here..
Early ride last Sunday, I rode to the track but he lives a good 40m away so he turns up in his girlfriends Mazda 2, proceeds to get his bike out the back, helmet, water bottle, gloves ect. I ask 'where's your front tyre?' him 'Fuck!!'

I'm riding by myself..

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Rat on my mate as I don't think he's a member here..
Early ride last Sunday, I rode to the track but he lives a good 40m away so he turns up in his girlfriends Mazda 2, proceeds to get his bike out the back, helmet, water bottle, gloves ect. I ask 'where's your front tyre?' him 'Fuck!!'

I'm riding by myself..
I have done that exact same thing except I drove from Sydney > Canberra before I realised my level of fuckwittery, luckily @SummitFever bailed me out with a loaner front wheel.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In his defence, some of the newer shimano brakes use the same connecting system at the calliper as they do at the lever.

So... I don't attend this forum enough these days, so might as well make it memorable by posting a worthy achievement in the fuckwits thread.
Decided that it'd be a good idea to give the wife's somewhat aged Specialized a bit of an upgrade, which included new Shimano brakes from overseas. Noted that they were European brake lever set up, and noted that its possible to swap them over once without (hopefully) requiring a rebleed.

In my wisdom, I had worked out that it was probably easier to swap the hoses at the caliper end rather than the lever. Checked the brakes, did a test fit, saw that the levers were indeed european style. Grabbed the crow's foot hose tool, loosened off each of the retaining nuts, swapped the hoses over and retightened. Great, very little play in the levers, don't need a bleed. Checked the brakes again, hang on, lever is still wrong. Maybe it was set correctly for Australian the first time and I just looked at it wrong.

Repeated the process, held the lever up, still on the wrong side. I may have been tired at the time, because I did it at least once more before I finally realised and swapped the fucking hoses at the lever end. By this time both levers are spongey as all fuck and I've managed to get trace amounts of mineral oil all over the place.

Fuckwit.
Oh well, off to buy a Shimano bleed kit this time, knowing that I didn't have one as all my other brakes use DOT, and now I need to bleed brand new brakes with a bleed kit I don't yet have.
Double fuckwit.
Dot fluid is the real confession here.

With the shimano you can get a short term solution by just topping up the lever and squishing out the air. It won't be as good as a full bleed but it will get the bike rolling g while waiting for the kit to rock up.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
A mate has a set of avids that score the shit out of the bars if they rotate. They act like a pipe cutter on carbon..
Guides do it too. I binned some carbon bars after I stacked and rotated the levers. Nice big gouge in the carbon...
Went back to alloy bars!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Ha, perhaps... But only if he started with a long right to start with ;) Swapping the calipers at the caliper end won't do anything to change the brake orientation, just lose you fluid in the process!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Knocked bike over in shed today as pulling it out to go for a spin. Lever blade for rear brake snapped off. Fuckwit.

If anyone has a spare/new blade for an XT M8100 lever, i'm in the market for one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's a painful bit of clumsiness. I misread the threqd title as concussions of the fuckwits...thought this is going to be good!

T-Rex

Template denier
This post is long overdue.....

Got a new Scott Genius earlier in the year, 29 inch, Eagle 12 sp drive chain, remote double lockout for the suspension. I love this bike, it's lifted my riding to a new level.

After a few months, I gave it a good service, pulled everything apart, cleaned and reassembled. I noticed under load in the hard gears it felt like it was skipping under load. Checked the hanger alignment, checked the hub, checked the indexing, couldn't notice any issues. This went on for weeks.

Was at Stromlo at the Handlebar, beer in hand, with the bike on one of the hanging racks outside, and I thought I'd just roll the cranks over slowly and watch what happened. Put it into the hardest gear, sure enough, there was the slip/click.

I noticed the joining link in the Eagle chain has a curve in the plates.... ie they are directional...... and I'd reinstalled the chain with the joining link on upside down.

Fuckwit.