Fire Warnings

D01

Likes Dirt
This (other side of the river from where the photograph was taken) is where I am booked to camp for two weeks in about 10 days time.

Oddly that national park is currently closed...

Wow, those sort of pictures really make me stop and rethink my decision to stay and defend...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wow, those sort of pictures really make me stop and rethink my decision to stay and defend...
Also consider what a fireball jumping from treetop to treetop, making the whole canopy of mature gums explode on contact and travelling at 80kph looks like when you’re standing there with a garden hose.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Also consider what a fireball jumping from treetop to treetop, making the whole canopy of mature gums explode on contact and travelling at 80kph looks like when you’re standing there with a garden hose.
Aye.

If a firetruck with big pumps and knowledgeable operators is in deep shit in a burn over, you and your house stands little chance. A LOT of people learned this the hard way at black Saturday. You can possibly protect from ember attack, but if you get a full bushfire roaring your way not being there is the only real option.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Haakon

And also, having the radiant heat kill you and make your car explode before you’ve even seen the flames...

Professional firefighters run like buggery from the big fires, the professional part of that involves knowing that you can’t do anything with big fires. Do some pre prep work where they can, go in and mop up afterwards... No amount of back burning is relevant to the fires we have now.

D01

Likes Dirt
When we built our house we had to clear to 50m and then remove another 10m of under growth for the APZ. I questioned the 10m, and was told by the firey doing the assessment that canopy fires drop out after about 10m. Judging by the latest reports I'm pretty sure they don't believe this anymore. I also remember driving down the Hume after Black Saturday looking at all the solitary trees in the middle of paddocks that looked they had been nuked.

My house is sealed from ember attack, toughened glass windows, fire pump with heaps of water and hoses, clearing out to 60-70m and somewhere safe to bail to if shit gets out of hand, so I'm somewhat confident in staying. I'm not planning on fighting the fire, just the ember attack on the house.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
"In some situations, the fires produced sufficient radiant heat to kill people 400 metres away"

I'm not saying you're not safe, but a firestorm is not something to take a punt with. As Haakon said, people are getting cooked before they even see flames

If you've got cleared land, and a bunker or house with a good water supply and an automated external fire protection, I'd be starting to feel more confident. But if you're thinking to walk around outside the house that might not work out for you. Not all fires are firestorms mind you, but I wouldn't be anywhere near the front of a firestorm.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Haakon

I’d be wanting a bunker with at least a foot think concrete walls before I’d feel even remotely safe from radiant heat, and it needs to be airtight and/or a supply of oxygen after the fire sucks all the air out of the bunker...

Better is to have a bunker for all the important stuff you want to save and can’t carry out on short notice and just not be there on the bad days...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We dont have any trees within 50m, just grass and the grove of trees is close to 90m away. I would be prepared to hang around and wet the ground and douse embers but should it somehow overwhelm the property my back up is diving into the 65kL in ground water tank.

I am surprised at the 10m comment. Many years ago I was almost caught out by a wild fire in eucalypt forest. The tree tops were on fire a long way ahead of the ground fire and it was routinely jumping a divided highway. Fucking scary doesnt come close.

Haakon

I’d want a big arse concrete slab over that in ground tank... Plenty of people jumping into above ground tanks have been boiled alive that I’d be cautious about an in ground one too...

Haakon

It’s the sound of a big fire that stuck with the most. Our crew was exiting stage left before it got too close, but the sound was something I’d never have guessed.

LOUD! Like a freight train...