The UP thread.

Hey

Likes Bikes
Who else here is into climbing technically challenging stuff?

Discuss.
Look, I gave it a go, but it ain’t for me. I just don’t see the fun factor in it. Sure it’s a challenge, but so is snapping one off whilst being severely dehydrated. It’s doable, but certainly not something fun that I inspire to.
the only reason I can see as to why one goes out to purposely climb up the most steepest and techy climbs on a bike, would be, the lack of oxygen to the brain when first attempting such a feat.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuck yes, I managed to climb 90% of junction track at the you yangs yesterday. There's a couple of big steps ups which take some delicate timing on there!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Kudos. There's no way I'd be making it up there so I just slog up the road. I'd also be worried about running into someone coming down in less than full control!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Technical climbing is fun. And challenging. And makes you feel like the down has been earned.

And as I’m learning, really hard on flat pedals!! Had no idea I relied so much on being clipped in to get up over step ups...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Technical climbing is fun. And challenging. And makes you feel like the down has been earned.

And as I’m learning, really hard on flat pedals!! Had no idea I relied so much on being clipped in to get up over step ups...
It's one of my biggest enjoyments clearing technical climbs. Going down it's harder to judge success but going up you either make it or you don't. It's one of the biggest surprises of the new bike some stuff that I couldn't clear, serious rock faces, are much easier with the new rig.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I even like climbing on the roadie. Did Mt Wellington last time I was in Hobart - 1300m over 27kms is very satisfying.

sbm

Likes Bikes
I enjoy a gentle climb with plenty of switchbacks. Like, ideally rail trail gradient. You can zone out, have a chat, enjoy the sights and sounds. I can also agree with the last guy that sometimes even a road climb can be fun.

Hard technical climbing though, is a much more strained relationship, I go from enjoying the work, to indifference, to raging hate and frustration, and back again. I ride flat pedals as well, so if I don't get it smooth and perfectly timed, there's no power upstroke to save it. Hard climbing with flat pedals is especially masochistic. Steep fire trails I tend to walk, it's just as fast and less tiring.

On the weekend I got to the top of a climb somewhere in Garigal Gorillas territory and had a mini anger dance at the top. It was just pedal strike, walk, find a spot to remount, spin out (geez sometimes it was like trying to pedal through a ball pit) walk, pedal strike, walk....etc etc.

T-Rex

Template denier
It's one of my biggest enjoyments clearing technical climbs. Going down it's harder to judge success but going up you either make it or you dont. It's one of the biggest suprises of the new bike stuff that I couldn't clear, serious rock faces, are much easier with the new rig.
So this means you can now select all gears on the Craftworks? And got a dropper?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I just came here to see what a room full of freaks look like. Weirdos.
;)
We have been sucked into an alternate universe. RB had been abducted by aliens surely.

I strangely like a good old fashioned climb while 66 HTAs and the like are doing their best to make unfashionable.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So this means you can now select all gears on the Craftworks? And got a dropper?
As soon as I got rid of the Sram running gear I had all gears nice and smooth. As for the dropper that's a bit of a pain, the high pivot interrupts the seat post so the 150mm brand-X I ordered doesn't fit so have to send it back and get a 120mm :(

stirk

Burner
Seen this one. The sketchy bit near those little cliffs are the ones that worry me more.
My photo was cropped! You can barely see my back on the original.

Do mean the little section just north eat of the wall cliffs on the left? I love that section because of the heightened sense of danger!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Do mean the little section just north eat of the wall cliffs on the left? I love that section because of the heightened sense of danger!
I think that is the one. I'm geographically challenged at Knapsack but have rode all of it, I think.

That climb is a tough one and you have to pick your line carefully if you want to do it no dabs.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
As soon as I got rid of the Sram running gear I had all gears nice and smooth. As for the dropper that's a bit of a pain, the high pivot interrupts the seat post so the 150mm brand-X I ordered doesn't fit so have to send it back and get a 120mm :(
A 150mm OneUp will fit if you've got a large. This is with it as low as it will go...

LPG

likes thicc birds
I like technical climbs unless I'm on a long ride and need to conserve energy. That video was boring AF. He's very skilled but he might as well be doing the climb on a pogo stick that you can track stand.