The UP thread.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I like technical climbs unless I'm on a long ride and need to conserve energy. That video was boring AF. He's very skilled but he might as well be doing the climb on a pogo stick that you can track stand.
You perhaps have to know who Jeff Lenowsky is to appreciate it ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I find it satisfying. I haven't tried Black Snake Gully but have done Heart Breaker (both Stromlo) with one dab on the exit which I took a rebate on and made, and have done Stairway to Heaven (Kowen) with one dab. My mate went out and flogged himself up it, dabbing four times, to get a PR that none of us less fit guys could get. I'd rather go up a bit slower and not put a foot down, this guy says why can't we do both:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I find it satisfying. I haven't tried Black Snake Gully but have done Heart Breaker (both Stromlo) with one dab on the exit which I took a rebate on and made, and have done Stairway to Heaven (Kowen) with one dab. My mate went out and flogged himself up it, dabbing four times, to get a PR that none of us less fit guys could get. I'd rather go up a bit slower and not put a foot down, this guy says why can't we do both:

Thats a good effort - I’m at two dabs on heartbreaker (that first step up on the left hairpin and that last one at the top) and three on stairway to heaven (and never made that innocuous looking rocky right turn...).

I’ve seen a guy storm up Stairway to heaven on a singe speed and clear everything as if it were nothing. Nobody likes a smart arse...

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

That is really well shot. Made my legs scream, and I'm just sitting on the ground drinking coffee.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Figure this is probably the best place to ask: any tips/tricks/techniques on how to stop front will drift and lift, especially when cornering while climbing (and especially, especially while cornering through techy stuff when climbing)? Seems no matter how I setup, my wheel ends up off the ground at the worst possible moment

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Figure this is probably the best place to ask: any tips/tricks/techniques on how to stop front will drift and lift, especially when cornering while climbing (and especially, especially while cornering through techy stuff when climbing)? Seems no matter how I setup, my wheel ends up off the ground at the worst possible moment
Lean forward basically. Just focus on keeping weight forward, but not so far forward you diminish rear traction. It’s a balancing act :)

Also be smooth with power, sudden bursts will lift the front. Low gear, high cadence = smoother delivery and more torque.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Watch that video of Dylan. I find the technique of keeping my elbows low to get the lean forward without leaving the saddle helps. You can see in the vide a few corners where he powers in standing, then sits, and drops those elbows, keeps the traction on the back and weight forward.

sbm

Likes Bikes
Well, that's what it looks like when you take hard technical climbing to its logical conclusion. It literally turns into trials, and the bikes start to look like pogo sticks too.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this guy says why can't we do both:

Who would have thought watching someone ride uphill could be so engaging! Nice drone flying.

I don't mind a tech climb.
I find the best technique is power where you can and as much weight as possible on the back for traction keeping momentum.
I generally straight line difficult sections, almost in a wheelie then shift weight to pop the rear over bigger features. A bit like what @Scotty T describes above, standing then into a bent arms weight forward position to bring the back up. Got to get pedal timing right as well to avoid strikes.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Glad I saw this wkkie, I was looking to buy one of these but it looks like it will still sit higher than my Reverb at full insert. What is the collar to rail height?
Not exactly sure sorry. That's just one I put on a mates bike and I don't have access to it for a measure. I'd guess that is around 70ish mm. But that guess probably doesn't help...

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
That guess was seat post collar to seat rails when the post is fully down...
No seat tube collar to seat rail. Just want to know if it will give me a lower seat when dropped than my reverb 125mm which is too high. Looking at the posts measurements, it should be about 25mm lower for the same extended height. The photo looks like it would not insert low enough and I would just end up shimming it. Anyway it's a bit OT. I might try it anyway and start another thread for anyone else interested. Cheers.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
As soon as I got rid of the Sram running gear I had all gears nice and smooth. As for the dropper that's a bit of a pain, the high pivot interrupts the seat post so the 150mm brand-X I ordered doesn't fit so have to send it back and get a 120mm :(
Send them an e-mail if you need to know exact dimension. They're really helpful guys. When I was enquiring about the V1.1 frames they were able to give me max seat-post insertion lengths on the various size frames (and even sent me a CAD diagram of how the pivot reinforcement runs through the seat-tube). Top customer service.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Send them an e-mail if you need to know exact dimension. They're really helpful guys. When I was enquiring about the V1.1 frames they were able to give me max seat-post insertion lengths on the various size frames (and even sent me a CAD diagram of how the pivot reinforcement runs through the seat-tube). Top customer service.
Thanks for the tip @beeb I took the agricultural route and stuck a tape measure in the hole. For my budget and leg length the 120mm brand-x will have to do the job. From my contact with the @Craftworks guys they have been super helpful and gone above and beyond on the service side.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Who would have thought watching someone ride uphill could be so engaging! Nice drone flying.

I don't mind a tech climb.
I think most of the climb was a runner with a steady cam. Dylan has many fastest times on Stromlo up and down, super talented. A young fella at work who has started recently is getting coaching from one of his team and improving every ride.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, running with camera on gimbal. A feat in its own right.

I’ve looked at Dylan’s times both up and down and it’s bloody scary just how much faster he is.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yep, running with camera on gimbal. A feat in its own right.

I’ve looked at Dylan’s times both up and down and it’s bloody scary just how much faster he is.
He has a shittonne of KOMs on road sections around Canberra too... Nobody likes a smart arse.

He’s the guy that goes out for a training ride to Stromlo from his house, does a main lap and a run out the back, cruises out to Kowen, does a couple of laps of Sparrow and a then the Kowen side run and then back home to Canberra... Just a lazy 150-200km MTB ride...

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
He has a shittonne of KOMs on road sections around Canberra too... Nobody likes a smart arse.

He’s the guy that goes out for a training ride to Stromlo from his house, does a main lap and a run out the back, cruises out to Kowen, does a couple of laps of Sparrow and a then the Kowen side run and then back home to Canberra... Just a lazy 150-200km MTB ride...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk