Little Things You Hate

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
LTIH1: washing machine breaks down. 12 years old and the error code says 'motor fault'.
LTIH2: I do a google check that suggests it might be motor brushes. Physical check suggests almost certainly the problem. And another Google check says brushes cost anything from $10 - $100!!!
LTIH3: everyone says it's a 12 year old washing machine...so it's probably fucked.
LTIH4: $10 eBay brushes fixed it after a hidden reset procedure that (of course) Google revealed. And now I wonder how many of these machines die for the sake of a ten buck part...
LTIH5: Replacing the brushes wasn't complicated...no more difficult than shifter cables. But it wasn't as straight forward as it could have been given that the machine guts were clearly not designed to have been easily accessed...designed obselescence should be a crime...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
LTIH1: washing machine breaks down. 12 years old and the error code says 'motor fault'.
LTIH2: I do a google check that suggests it might be motor brushes. Physical check suggests almost certainly the problem. And another Google check says brushes cost anything from $10 - $100!!!
LTIH3: everyone says it's a 12 year old washing machine...so it's probably fucked.
LTIH4: $10 eBay brushes fixed it after a hidden reset procedure that (of course) Google revealed. And now I wonder how many of these machines die for the sake of a ten buck part...
LTIH5: Replacing the brushes wasn't complicated...no more difficult than shifter cables. But it wasn't as straight forward as it could have been given that the machine guts were clearly not designed to have been easily accessed...designed obselescence should be a crime...
Nice job on fixing it! All through my uni days and a decade afterwards of low paying jobs my washing machines were freebies that I fixed. Dead pumps were an easy one with some time trawling metal recycling pile at the local tip usually providing a replacement :)

It’s very satisfying fixing something that wasn't designed to be fixed!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
did the same with a Dyson vac a few years ago
$1000 vac, with a $75 motor...another machine saved from landfill for a few more years
thanks mum
I find older people have lost the will to try and repair and extend the life of things, but would prefer to have nice shiny things more often!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Scored ourselves a free dishwasher because it kept blowing thermostats. They kept it in the shed so long that by the time I went to buy a new one they only sold the self resetting kind and we got years out of it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I just hope she realizes that you're the ironman here? All she has to do is trundle around for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I made it perfectly clear just how much sacrifice so she gets to train on the drive in.

Bloody savages making entry cut off 6am.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the gum trees by my house and the bird life they attract ny holy hell they drop some leaves. Filled a full sized wheelie bin yesterday just in leaf litter. And thats including 3 session of my fat ass getting in the bin and going bouncy castle to pack them in.and the yard looks only marginally better today as they keep dropping leaves

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I love the gum trees by my house and the bird life they attract ny holy hell they drop some leaves.
I hear you. The park across the road full of gumtrees from us just keeps giving too. Leaves and bark on the front yard is just how it is. Great for summer afternoon shade though so worth the trade off.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love the gum trees by my house and the bird life they attract ny holy hell they drop some leaves. Filled a full sized wheelie bin yesterday just in leaf litter. And thats including 3 session of my fat ass getting in the bin and going bouncy castle to pack them in.and the yard looks only marginally better today as they keep dropping leaves
Maybe just burn off the leaves?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
We fill 2 metre rounds of old ringlock fencing wire here...so far we've filled two without trying very hard. Should start on the third...

The plan is to make leaf mould out of the contents...

mtb1611

Seymour
LTIH: hotel toilets. Why is there such a high likelihood that the toilet seat will not stay up when one is urinating? One has to use one hand to hold the seat up, lest it receive a golden shower. Inconvenient, impractical and, ultimately, messy.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
LTIH: hotel toilets. Why is there such a high likelihood that the toilet seat will not stay up when one is urinating? One has to use one hand to hold the seat up, lest it receive a golden shower. Inconvenient, impractical and, ultimately, messy.
The spare toilet at my oldies place has always done that. Fancy curved top lid.

I kick up a stink every time I stay but dad can’t be arsed as his dunny is fine.

My grandfather keeps a coat hanger wire contraption that he made to hold it up in the cupboard for when he stays.