Thredbo - all you need to know

climberman

Likes Dirt
Apparently lower part open, from Ski Tube (maybe Ngarigo) to Gaden Hatchey. You can then ride up the dirt road and cross the Kossie Rd and pick up the track to Jindy.

Gossip on other sites is that this new lower section is more tech and challenging and will be harder for many folks, which sounds excellent.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Here is some information on the Thredbo Valley Trail. I haven't seen much info on the best options for Shuttling the TVT, where the trail ends, how to get to Jindy, etc.. so here you go.

The TVT is marked in blue.
The TVT officially ends at the 'Gaden Trout Hatchery'. This area has parking along with barbecues, toilets and a large picnic area with tables, etc.. as well as space to park.

You can ride from the Trout Hatchery to Jindabyne. To do so you need to follow the road until you get to the main road (this is 2.4km on the sealed road). When you get to the main road, continue straight onto the dirt road and just keep going straight. This section is marked in red. This red section that I have marked includes a climb up the road which would not be fun for kids, etc..

At the end of the dirt road is the start of the "Hatchery Bay Trail" (you can't miss it). This is 5.5km of purpose built single track. It's a pretty flat trail with nothing technical. I have marked this trail on the map in green. This trail ends at the boat ramp which has lots of parking so that's another option if you need a park.

From here you can continue to Jindabyne along the lakefront on the shared walking/bike track. I've marked this with orange. Another option for parking is at the "Claypits" next to the roundabout. This area has a toilet block.

My recommendation would be to end the ride at the Gaden Trout Hatchery. You can leave one car here, then shuttle up to Thredbo. That said you can easily ride back to Jindy. You can even extend this ride to go all the way to the mtb trails in East Jindabyne.

I will be in the area next week (camping at Ngarigo) if anyone wants to shuttle this, let me know.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
The "Woodys" trail is marked on the map here. I have no idea what it will be like. But from looking at the map it looks like it cuts out a very, very, very dusty low section of the flow trail.

ALL MOUNTAIN TRAIL: The top section of the AMT is going to be closed. However the AMT will be open from the top of Gunbarrel.

Another piece of information that I should mention is that the Gondola will under construction over the summer. I think they were meant to start around October.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
AM trail closed when? Also looks like Ricochet is another new trail.
Well, I called today and was told the top of the AM won't be open for a few weeks. It's because there is a snowdrift on the top section of trail that still hasn't melted.
Ricochet says "opening early 2020". Historically thredbo haven't been known for opening new trails on time, so I would guess that it will open around March.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I'm down there in 2 weeks, so probably won't see them. Looked at the cams today and could see the snow. Will be a bit frosty!

T-Rex

Template denier
Hi All,
View attachment 357293

Here is some information on the Thredbo Valley Trail. I haven't seen much info on the best options for Shuttling the TVT, where the trail ends, how to get to Jindy, etc.. so here you go.

The TVT is marked in blue.
The TVT officially ends at the 'Gaden Trout Hatchery'. This area has parking along with barbecues, toilets and a large picnic area with tables, etc.. as well as space to park.

You can ride from the Trout Hatchery to Jindabyne. To do so you need to follow the road until you get to the main road (this is 2.4km on the sealed road). When you get to the main road, continue straight onto the dirt road and just keep going straight. This section is marked in red. This red section that I have marked includes a climb up the road which would not be fun for kids, etc..

At the end of the dirt road is the start of the "Hatchery Bay Trail" (you can't miss it). This is 5.5km of purpose built single track. It's a pretty flat trail with nothing technical. I have marked this trail on the map in green. This trail ends at the boat ramp which has lots of parking so that's another option if you need a park.

From here you can continue to Jindabyne along the lakefront on the shared walking/bike track. I've marked this with orange. Another option for parking is at the "Claypits" next to the roundabout. This area has a toilet block.

My recommendation would be to end the ride at the Gaden Trout Hatchery. You can leave one car here, then shuttle up to Thredbo. That said you can easily ride back to Jindy. You can even extend this ride to go all the way to the mtb trails in East Jindabyne.

I will be in the area next week (camping at Ngarigo) if anyone wants to shuttle this, let me know.
The family is heading up to Thredbo on Boxing Day from Canberra. So if I get them to throw me out at the trout hatchery I can ride up to Thredbo from there, right?

climberman

Likes Dirt
^^ Great info!

Speaking of info - anyone got on any on the new Woodys trail?
It's very new. On Saturday it rode as if the crew had been trying to get work done before the lifts opened at 9:30.
It needs more time to bed in (was already improved by Sunday arvo) but it is kind of out of place with the rest of the trail.
It's tight corners in timber, 'hand cut', etc, with smaller built berms in some spots.

jrewing

Eats Squid
It's very new. On Saturday it rode as if the crew had been trying to get work done before the lifts opened at 9:30.
It needs more time to bed in (was already improved by Sunday arvo) but it is kind of out of place with the rest of the trail.
It's tight corners in timber, 'hand cut', etc, with smaller built berms in some spots.
Down here now. Woody's is junk. A rushed after thought.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
The family is heading up to Thredbo on Boxing Day from Canberra. So if I get them to throw me out at the trout hatchery I can ride up to Thredbo from there, right?
Yes, you can ride up to Thredbo from the Trout Hatchery.

Also, regarding “Woodys” this trail has a silver lining for trail bike riders. Because it is more like an XC trail, DH riders almost never take this route. This keeps almost everyone on a DH bike off the very nice end section of the Flow trail.

T-Rex

Template denier
Yes, you can ride up to Thredbo from the Trout Hatchery.

Also, regarding “Woodys” this trail has a silver lining for trail bike riders. Because it is more like an XC trail, DH riders almost never take this route. This keeps almost everyone on a DH bike off the very nice end section of the Flow trail.
Thank you Sir

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So who’s is going to Cannonball then? My crew and I will be down. I’m getting down Tuesday morning. Looks a a real dearth of pro’s this year. Haven’t even heard if Brosnan, Wilson and Carlson are coming.

sbm

Likes Bikes
So who’s is going to Cannonball then? My crew and I will be down. I’m getting down Tuesday morning. Looks a a real dearth of pro’s this year. Haven’t even heard if Brosnan, Wilson and Carlson are coming.
I did here that a bunch of Commencal pro riders and Max Commencal himself, were in Sydney at the last Garigal Gorillas club ride, en route to Thredbo.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
I saw what looked like some Santa Cruz riders around the other day, so they would be going to Cannonball.
Also the weather for the next week looks interesting. It's raining with patches of light hail/sleet at the moment around the village.
The rain prior to the event could be great for the trails as it has been extremely dry and dusty. Or it could turn into a bog.