AIR CONDITIONING

marks

Likes Bikes
Hi all. I am planning on getting A/C spilt reverse cycle A/C system to our bedroom soon.
I have not had to buy an A/C system for 15 odd years and last time I did bought both Daiken and Panasonic systems. I was very happy with both brands many years ago but things change.
What brands have been used by forum members of late that they are happy with? Really want something quiet.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Mitsubishi Electric or Hitachi are good value
Daikin are always good, but you pay a premium...and hope that you don't get lots of lightning strikes nearby, will cost lots to repair if it takes a hit!
Don't skimp on cheaper units from Bunnings etc for your bedroom, the little extra noise over a better unit that they emit will have you regretting your purchase.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I bought two Panasonic split systems about a yrar ago with one little one for the bedroom, and a bigger one for the main living space (so I'm not trying to cool the whole house when not necessary). Both are super quiet once the room is down to temp, and I'm a very light sleeper. I can still easily fall asleep with the bedroom unit on (fortunately being Melbourne that's not required very often!) The outdoor units are also exceptionally quiet. They can be loudish indoors when first starting up, but it's a nice smooth airflow noise, not rattly fan noise or turbulent air. I would buy again. Should've payed extra for a hard-wired wall-mounted remote, as the IR handheld remotes are a bit pointless.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We sell Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

They are choices recommended air conditioning brand. Installers we provide them too love them. They are different to Mitsubishi electric And this sometimes causes confusion. We have a local warranty guy who spends little time repairing MHI units.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
This place has got a big arse fujistu one, heaters never worked, tech says nothing wrong with it..air con also doesn't get cold. Hard pass.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Mitsi Heavy are a good unit, just not as quiet as some for a bedroom
This place has got a big arse fujistu one, heaters never worked, tech says nothing wrong with it..air con also doesn't get cold. Hard pass.
There are no "heaters" in a split, all done with gas...If it don't work on heat, It ain't gonna work on cool either, you have a loss of refrigerant issue!

teK--

Eats Squid
Very happy with our Panasonic units. 7 years going strong. A 5.5kw for living/dining area and a 2.5kw for the master bed.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

There are no "heaters" in a split, all done with gas...If it don't work on heat, It ain't gonna work on cool either, you have a loss of refrigerant issue!
Interesting. Sounds like it was never installed properly in the first place, was the first one to live in here.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Interesting. Sounds like it was never installed properly in the first place, was the first one to live in here.
It really isn't a very difficult process to install a split, but there is a lot of cowboys in the industry..Youtube has a lot to answer for too, Damn DIYers!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
That's bullshit. Tech is useless then. I've had two Fujitsu units in 2 different houses I've owned and they have been great.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Reversing valve, solonoid or relay/control board....all legit reasons a unit could work in one mode but not the other.
But I agree, unlikely and more likely as you say to be low on refrigerant.

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a fan of R32.
But really, like most modern appliances, go for the best parts AND labour warranty, ask for the plumbing certificate for installation. The cowboys won't even know what you are talking about, but if you do have a problem, many manufacturers will ask for evidence of it for warranty.