Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How are they illegal? They will have a wll which is higher than what is needed, or is it how they are attached? Dumb as shit yes, illegal?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Stromlo’s car park is a fuckwit convention on a weekend full of shit like that...
I haven't noticed a lot here, not that I go looking for them but this one parked beside me. I've noticed the cops like patrolling the entry road and getting the big lift tonka trucks and the occasional mountain biker without a number plate on their bike rack.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I dont have a light bar, hi lift Jill, UHF, sand flag, muddies and the winch is only fitted when we go lots west or lots north. I use the rest regularly. #2 used the winch on his 80 to clear a large tree off the main track yesterday.

Neither have been washed this year...

So people are using lifting hooks as trailer shackles? Or is it the high lift hitch?
Sounds like you and Moorey use them for their intended purpose so you’re both off the hook :D

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Been doing some reading. Cannot find in the ADRs where hooks are prohibited. From my own experience those spring latch hooks have been phased out of construction for over 10 years because a load could bounce and deform the latch and allow a chain to fall out. The latched hooks that look like a back to back S would be ok but those things are expensive. Probably buy 199 D shackles and a wristy for the same price.

Must be cool. But then I mouse shackles so what would I know.

moorey

call me Mia
Been doing some reading. Cannot find in the ADRs where hooks are prohibited. From my own experience those spring latch hooks have been phased out of construction for over 10 years because a load could bounce and deform the latch and allow a chain to fall out. The latched hooks that look like a back to back S would be ok but those things are expensive. Probably buy 199 D shackles and a wristy for the same price.

Must be cool. But then I mouse shackles so what would I know.
You mouse shackles?

Quick google was a rabbit hole of info on stamped chains and D bolt styles, but this was quoted...

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Yes at the trailer end they chains should be fixed to the trailer in a permanent manner. They attach to the towbar using shackles or similar.

It’s not that shackles are bad at the trailer end but the idea is that there should only be one end to check/manage reducing risk of “I didn’t check the other end”