Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Great link. Just made a few old fuckers at work sit through it. They are begrudgingly coming around to the idea that we’ve fucked the planet.

Jpez

Down on the left!
FAKE NEWS!!!!!

Oh how I wish it was.
A few of my friends are blind liberal voters. Because uhhm “my dad(farmer) always voted liberal and they’re better economic managers blah blah”.

This is light and simple enough to make them read it.
I’ve slowly been working on them but I’ve found you can’t push too hard because they stick their fingers in their ears BUT I have made some small gains with them

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
If you were a true friend to the resources (rather than the resources sector), you wouldn’t advocate wastefulness.

But instead you’re a cunt, so...

(...also who actually personally burns oil..?)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Straya. Pack of arseholes.
Australia always has been. We like to run the image of friendly and laid back and egalitarian etc, but it’s always been pretty redneck, racist and conservative. Education levels are better than the US, but have suffered the same deliberate defunding under conservative governments like the US.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Come back in a hundred thousand years or so and the first flourishes of newly established ecosystems will be starting to re establish. Most of the pollution will have faded away and the planet will get on with things after that brief and annoying experiment with humans.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Nah but we can’t enforce restrictive standards on cars because it would undermine the competitiveness of our local car manufacturing industry.

Oh wait...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's another shit situation in Straya but let's not get distracted:

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/understanding-global-warming-potentials

• CO2, by definition, has a GWP of 1 regardless of the time period used, because it is the gas being used as the reference. CO2 remains in the climate system for a very long time: CO2 emissions cause increases in atmospheric concentrations of CO2 that will last thousands of years.
  • Methane (CH4) is estimated to have a GWP of 28–36 over 100 years (Learn why EPA's U.S. Inventory of Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks uses a different value.). CH4 emitted today lasts about a decade on average, which is much less time than CO2. But CH4 also absorbs much more energy than CO2. The net effect of the shorter lifetime and higher energy absorption is reflected in the GWP. The CH4 GWP also accounts for some indirect effects, such as the fact that CH4 is a precursor to ozone, and ozone is itself a GHG.
  • Nitrous Oxide (N2O) has a GWP 265–298 times that of CO2 for a 100-year timescale. N2O emitted today remains in the atmosphere for more than 100 years, on average.
  • Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) are sometimes called high-GWP gases because, for a given amount of mass, they trap substantially more heat than CO2. (The GWPs for these gases can be in the thousands or tens of thousands.)
HFC134A has a lifespan of around 15 years. We can control HFC134A emissions quite easily.

This story is another example of ".....look over there......>>>>>>>>"

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
HFC134A has a lifespan of around 15 years. We can control HFC134A emissions quite easily.

This story is another example of ".....look over there......>>>>>>>>"
Not sure I agree; the point you raise is true but reinforces rather than contradicts the article... We can control HFC emissions easily through regulation - there is a freely available, affordable alternative, and other jurisdictions have done so for a long time.

The problem is, despite it being a total no-brainer, we still won’t, because what? Imposing market regulations has become so anathema that even when it’s just bringing our requirements inline with other (much larger) markets it’s somehow a step too far.

Addressing these things isn’t a distraction - every little bit counts. And when we’ve proven time and time again that we’re too weak to take big steps, The momentum building potential of the baby steps becomes more important.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Not sure I agree; the point you raise is true but reinforces rather than contradicts the article... We can control HFC emissions easily through regulation - there is a freely available, affordable alternative, and other jurisdictions have done so for a long time.

The problem is, despite it being a total no-brainer, we still won’t, because what? Imposing market regulations has become so anathema that even when it’s just bringing our requirements inline with other (much larger) markets it’s somehow a step too far.

Addressing these things isn’t a distraction - every little bit counts. And when we’ve proven time and time again that we’re too weak to take big steps, The momentum building potential of the baby steps becomes more important.
Yeah but now we are talking about HFC emissions & not CO2 emissions.

Let's talk about this Juggernaut instead!

https://www.equinor.com/en/news/2019-10-johan-sverdrup.html

"Let's cook this fucking planet, mother fuckers!"