Thredbo - all you need to know

jrewing

Eats Squid
So I've just arrived home after cannonball. What a week. Arrived to Snow left with Sunburn!!!! How's everyone with their results? Happy? Bummed? I'm pretty stoked with my times despite the placings being back a bit. A 9:05 on the flow and a 6:58 on the DH felt pretty solid. Had one balls up on the flow which cost me around 3-5 seconds I'd estimate so my sub 9 min goal went out the window but I had a goal of sub 7:30 for the Cannonball which included the fire road so to lay down a 6:58 was very pleasing. I've never raced the Cannonball in a DH race and never from the tippy top so maybe my goal was a little too easy but I'm happy so I now have times to work on and beat. I had a great time again this year despite the lack of pro's (riders that is, almost left it wide open there) apart from the usual suspects. Anyway hope you all had a good time and got home safe and sound.

Cheers Scott.
If you’re Scott and did a 6.58 you finished 1spot behind me!! Haha

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yep that's me!!! Nice one mate. Happy with your time?
Haha, NO! chain derailed at the bottom of the fire-road just after the double. Forget to switch the clutch on on the derailleur!
Lost a chain at the bend of the fire road last year on my race run too!!!!!!!!! Hahaha

sbm

Likes Bikes
I was staying down there for the week but didn't race. I actually volunteered for marshaling for the All-Mountain race on Thursday which was a nice day out.

I rode the full valley trail Thredbo-Jindabyne which was excellent. Just about 50km flat and all singletrack, except for about 2km of tarmac and 1km of dirt road to get from the trout hatchery to the lakeside trail network. I got a shuttle for $35 from Snowlink Shuttles.

The lower section isn't really rough, but it has a lot of surprisingly steep climbing and descending, including several climbs towards the end that might drive you to despair just when you think the end's in sight. It's properly remote, I would NOT want to have a bad crash. I filled up a water bottle from a flowing side creek that trail crossed and had no issues drinking it unfiltered. My main complaint, would be that a few more rest points or lookouts would be ideal.

I do recommend going all the way to Jindabyne, the lakeside trail is a pretty finish and you can end the ride at the pub or brewery, instead of at a random park in the middle of nowhere.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was staying down there for the week but didn't race. I actually volunteered for marshaling for the All-Mountain race on Thursday which was a nice day out.
Dude that's super appreciated!!! We don't thank the volunteers enough in my opinion. I had a sick time racing and a part of that is thanks to you guys.

Cheers Scott.

T-Rex

Template denier

I rode the full valley trail Thredbo-Jindabyne which was excellent. Just about 50km flat and all singletrack, except for about 2km of tarmac and 1km of dirt road to get from the trout hatchery to the lakeside trail network. I got a shuttle for $35 from Snowlink Shuttles.

The lower section isn't really rough, but it has a lot of surprisingly steep climbing and descending, including several climbs towards the end that might drive you to despair just when you think the end's in sight. It's properly remote, I would NOT want to have a bad crash. I filled up a water bottle from a flowing side creek that trail crossed and had no issues drinking it unfiltered. My main complaint, would be that a few more rest points or lookouts would be ideal.

I do recommend going all the way to Jindabyne, the lakeside trail is a pretty finish and you can end the ride at the pub or brewery, instead of at a random park in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for volunteering, most appreciated.

How long did the TVT take you from Thredbo into Jindy? And do you have a Strava link you can share? I'm in Thredbo on Boxing Day, keen to do that ride.

Reactions: sbm

sbm

Likes Bikes
Thanks for volunteering, most appreciated.

How long did the TVT take you from Thredbo into Jindy? And do you have a Strava link you can share? I'm in Thredbo on Boxing Day, keen to do that ride.
Yeah strava here https://www.strava.com/activities/2914221604 It took about 5 hours. I left at 10am and got into Jindy at 3pm.

It was pretty warm once you come down into the lower valley and Jindy surrounds, I'd take care if it's a properly hot summer day. You would definitely want to plan on refilling water and think about avoiding the hottest part of the arvo. Good news is there's several spots you could go for a swim.

T-Rex

Template denier
Yeah strava here https://www.strava.com/activities/2914221604 It took about 5 hours. I left at 10am and got into Jindy at 3pm.

It was pretty warm once you come down into the lower valley and Jindy surrounds, I'd take care if it's a properly hot summer day. You would definitely want to plan on refilling water and think about avoiding the hottest part of the arvo. Good news is there's several spots you could go for a swim.
Brilliant, thanks for that. Yes, I would probably leave earlier than 10am, aim to get to Banjos for a pub lunch with the wife, thus avoiding having to pay for a shuttle back up. However, I'm sure I'll pay.... one way or the other......

T-Rex

Template denier
No worries. I have some photos from the downhill race on Sunday here, if anyone recognizes any of the riders please pass the pic on.

I fixed the bike in the third pic just prior to the Whip Off Saturday arvo. The rider looked about 11, by the end of the comp she was clearing the big kicker, very impressive.

Reactions: sbm

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a bad week all in all, my placings in the flow and am were low, but my best times by a good bit and pretty pleased with how I rode after coming back from the shoulder Injury at maydena in march. Have barely ridden the mtb all year so I'm calling it a win!

Thanks to all the volunteers too! I did it last year with miss 10 and we had a time!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will see you down there. Love superD! I only ride one bike anyways. I can’t pedal for shit so always suffer on the flow, AM!
Nice, a chance for redemption, although you are beating me by a second with the chain off I'm feeling a pasting coming on it you can keep the thing on your bike.

Cheers Scott

climberman

Likes Dirt
The new gondola is replacing the very old Merritts chairlift that goes to the 'Cruiser' area. It is not replacing either of the two main lifts at Thredbo, Gunbarrel and Kosciuszko Express. Take a look at the map here. So even if they let MTB on the Gondola, this would only give you access to the bottom ~3km of the All Mountain trail. There would be no access to the Flow or Cannonball trails from the gondola. The gondola also only gives you 285m of elevation.

Top of the new gondola 1655m (285m of elevation)
Top of the Gunbarrel 1791m (421m of elevation)
Top of Kosciuszko Express 1930m (560m of elevation)

Could the gondola be used my MTB to ride that 3km of the all mountain when the other lifts are closed due to wind? Sure, why not.
But I don't think it's anything to get too excited about. Maybe in 10 years there will be other trails on that side of the resort, but at the moment there aren't even whispers.

Some commentary at the end of this about the gondola and future trails on the east side of the hill.