Tell me about riding in Bright

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Ridiculous money grab , I would not go . Bright is too mad at holiday times for us rural people.
Even though HVP leases the land , I think either the Alpine shire or Vicroads should take some responsibility for recreational use of the road as this will eventually affect their tourist numbers.
Friend said he rented a high end ebike = Specialized Kenevo $100 per day to ride up then rode down Hero / Shred Kelly repeatedly.

teK--

Eats Squid
Their plan is working perfectly.... They don't want people to self shuttle, but they do want people to use the shuttles and hire e-bikes.
Yep. The self shuttle is not meant to be value for money otherwise it defeats the aim of trying to reduce private traffic on the road.

Even with 5 ppl in one car with a hitch mount it's still expensive during peak season, considering wear and tear on car, fuel, every person has to drive every 5th run (assume U get to ride 8 runs for 10 trips up mountain). You can otherwise get to ride all day together for $250 in total with bluedirt.

Reactions: SDA

climberman

Likes Dirt
Yep. The self shuttle is not meant to be value for money otherwise it defeats the aim of trying to reduce private traffic on the road.

Even with 5 ppl in one car with a hitch mount it's still expensive during peak season, considering wear and tear on car, fuel, every person has to drive every 5th run (assume U get to ride 8 runs for 10 trips up mountain). You can otherwise get to ride all day together for $250 in total with bluedirt.
Or you get to ride somewhere else.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Their plan is working perfectly.... They don't want people to self shuttle, but they do want people to use the shuttles and hire e-bikes.
The issue are families who go there for a holiday with a bit of riding thrown in at the end of the day. We have been there twice now and we'll not be back after this, their plan has only succeeded in sending people elsewhere. Its the ones arriving that aren't privy to this info that I feel for.

$210 for me and my 2 boys for a day of riding Bright trails ! Its the same price are riding Maydena for a day.

Or $25 for 1 walk up shuttle... just pay $33 and get 3 hours of Blackstump shuttles in Derby.

Fox creek in SA have better shuttle trails, with about 8 gravity trails and its $49 for a full day with 20% discount for repeat users... or $5 walk up single shuttles.

I have zero problem with their attempt to reduce the traffic on the road... but the pricing reflects a trail network that they don't have... not even close.

Blue Dirt was never going to get my money anyway, the town (and surrounding towns) miss out on us staying in the caravan park or an AirBnB, eating brekky, lunch and tea everyday in local bakeries, pubs.. ect. 3-4 beers at the Bright brewery each night, kids smashing fizzy drinks and ice creams... we'll call it $300-$400 a day tourist money.

climberman

Likes Dirt
The issue are families who go there for a holiday with a bit of riding thrown in at the end of the day. We have been there twice now and we'll not be back after this, their plan has only succeeded in sending people elsewhere. Its the ones arriving that aren't privy to this info that I feel for.

$210 for me and my 2 boys for a day of riding Bright trails ! Its the same price are riding Maydena for a day.

Or $25 for 1 walk up shuttle... just pay $33 and get 3 hours of Blackstump shuttles in Derby.

Fox creek in SA have better shuttle trails, with about 8 gravity trails and its $49 for a full day with 20% discount for repeat users... or $5 walk up single shuttles.

I have zero problem with their attempt to reduce the traffic on the road... but the pricing reflects a trail network that they don't have... not even close.

Blue Dirt was never going to get my money anyway, the town (and surrounding towns) miss out on us staying in the caravan park or an AirBnB, eating brekky, lunch and tea everyday in local bakeries, pubs.. ect. 3-4 beers at the Bright brewery each night, kids smashing fizzy drinks and ice creams... we'll call it $300-$400 a day tourist money.
for $210 you could ride thredbo and be lifted and have $30 for morning tea!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
im very aware of the issue, i regularly visit the area and have done for the past 10+ years and used to get the missus to drive me up 2-3 times every now and then when i couldnt be botherd pedalling up. The problem is people nowadays want to ride smooth sculpted flow trails on their big travel bikes...pretty sure it cost them about $60k just to fix the first straight on Hero, it might last the summer if its lucky... the money has to come from somewhere.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I was there last year and again in November. Both trips with about 6 riders. Bright is good because there a bit of everything. Riding, cool town, food, brewery and a river that is awesome to swim in if it's hot.

This year we did a day of pedal runs, a day of shuttles and 2 part days pedalling where we had to drive 6ish hrs to and from home. Self shuttling was fun and relaxed as we did what we wanted. If someone wasnt feeling it they could chill out at camp. We will probably go elsewhere next year. I am not against paying for shuttles but it takes away the flexibility that you have doing it yourself.

Ilove elevation/ all mountain and mystic DH. They're both awesome runs.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
I was there last year and again in November. Both trips with about 6 riders. Bright is good because there a bit of everything. Riding, cool town, food, brewery and a river that is awesome to swim in if it's hot.

This year we did a day of pedal runs, a day of shuttles and 2 part days pedalling where we had to drive 6ish hrs to and from home. Self shuttling was fun and relaxed as we did what we wanted. If someone wasnt feeling it they could chill out at camp. We will probably go elsewhere next year. I am not against paying for shuttles but it takes away the flexibility that you have doing it yourself.

Ilove elevation/ all mountain and mystic DH. They're both awesome runs.
on that when i was last there in October they had 2 buses running the hero drop off and only one bus servicing the top drop for elevation and mystic dh/international dh (man thats a naturally difficult track)

i wish they ran 2 on the long drop for better turn around times

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon the pricing is just all wrong, the shuttle service should drop a lot in price (and flexibility) to encourage people to use it. If they want cars off the roads and people to actually ride the trails then doing this is sensible. I get the locals at the end of mystic would be well pissed off listening to freehubs/utes all day long and the trail network/roads need maintenance but the shuttle service must be presented a better alternative.
If Bright wasn’t such a great town I reckon stuff all people would ride mystic with all the other options on the table now..

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
i know this is a bright thread, but for my next trip i am looking at taking the ferry to tazzie instead, better value for money in derby and maydena
That really depends.
Bright is an easy drive from Melb and much quicker and cheaper to get to.
You can base yourself in Bright and ride Bright, Falls, Mt Beauty, Fainters etc. and I'd say, there is more variety in the types of trails there.
Bright also has a Great Brewery, River and water park for the kids in summer, great off road rides for kids too plus heaps of other stuff to do in the area.
Unfortunately not recommended to go there right now due to fires but I absolutely love Bright.
Tassie is great, don't get me wrong, but paying for ferry and the time it takes to get there makes it a much harder option IMO

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
That really depends.
Bright is an easy drive from Melb and much quicker and cheaper to get to.
You can base yourself in Bright and ride Bright, Falls, Mt Beauty, Fainters etc. and I'd say, there is more variety in the types of trails there.
Bright also has a Great Brewery, River and water park for the kids in summer, great off road rides for kids too plus heaps of other stuff to do in the area.
Unfortunately not recommended to go there right now due to fires but I absolutely love Bright.
Tassie is great, don't get me wrong, but paying for ferry and the time it takes to get there makes it a much harder option IMO
yeah i always have a blast there, plus the whole riding community is rocking, in summer there is bikes everywhere, camp krusty has a great atmosphere 2. Oh and the burger shop.....

then there is the trails, mystic dh, international dh, mt beauty and falls :D rocking tracks close together.

Like the cfa app says, steer clear due to fires.

Anyway the point i was making was they are charging a premium service, for a trail network that is pretty good, but from the last paid exp i had, wasn't worth the premium price tag.

Also agree that its a nice easy drive up from melb, but id like to see more value for money and i think this would really help bring people in (could they get more people in there? who knows)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I see BlueDirt is now offering this:
" ** NEW 1 uplift tickets available for $25 per person. NOTE bookings are walk up only and subject to availability. "

Needs to be cheaper IMO, as they're just filling seats on shuttles already running - but better than having to pay for a full day if you've only got time for one run I guess.