Thredbo - all you need to know

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ill have a day on the trails just after christmas. The last time i was up in thredbo would have been close to 10 years ago. With all the new trails is it worth packing the DH bike or the trail bike?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ill have a day on the trails just after christmas. The last time i was up in thredbo would have been close to 10 years ago. With all the new trails is it worth packing the DH bike or the trail bike?
Trail bike... Or both if you can

T-Rex

Template denier
Assuming you are riding the lift accesses runs, the DH bike is only going to be fun on Cannonball, which you would remember from 10 years ago, would be hard work on the newer trails. Trail bike will be more versatile, but if you can take both, do so. You still need a FF helmet for Cannonball, not the other trails.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
If you can only take 1 bike, take the trail bike. You can use the trail bike on Cannonball, Flow, All Mountain, Ricochet (opens boxing day), Easy street and the TVT.

The DH bike is most suited to Cannonball and Flow.

T-Rex

Template denier
Did the TVT with Junior from Thredbo to Jindabyne this morning, set off early before it got too hot. Took just on 3 hours riding time, including the single track around the lake into the Jindy shops, 48km distance. It was a decent (ie non-social) pace for me, Junior didn't actually raise a sweat however. The new bit down to the trout hatchery has a lot of switchback climbs and descents and is a decent workout, albeit not too technical. The stretch from the trout hatchery into Jindabyne, probably 45 minutes, is very exposed, you would not want to do this on a hot or windy day. Single track around the lake is nice.

I can highly recommend Red Dog in the main shopping area for brunch and coffee.

T-Rex

Template denier
Did a run part way down TVT on the way out of Thredbo today, to meet people for lunch at Crackenback. That stretch of the TVT was super busy with beginners and mums and dads with little kids, was good to see, but you would not be wanting to set a new PR on Strava.

It dawned on me why they made the last stretch of the TVT near the trout hatchery more challenging to ride, because most of the newer/less fit riders will be closer to Thredbo so they built that bit as a green trail, and the harder riding is further out, and so they have managed to cater for a broad range of riders with the TVT.

Next level challenge (for me) will be to ride up it from the trout hatchery, that will be tough. Will wait for cooler weather.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Did a run part way down TVT on the way out of Thredbo today, to meet people for lunch at Crackenback. That stretch of the TVT was super busy with beginners and mums and dads with little kids, was good to see, but you would not be wanting to set a new PR on Strava.

It dawned on me why they made the last stretch of the TVT near the trout hatchery more challenging to ride, because most of the newer/less fit riders will be closer to Thredbo so they built that bit as a green trail, and the harder riding is further out, and so they have managed to cater for a broad range of riders with the TVT.

Next level challenge (for me) will be to ride up it from the trout hatchery, that will be tough. Will wait for cooler weather.
The lower TVT is inaccessible by vehicles right? I guess they don’t want beginners and kids being so far away from a bailout point.

I’d like to know how long it takes to do from Top of Thredbo to East Jindy for a mega day out.

Where is this section located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
The lower TVT is inaccessible by vehicles right? I guess they don’t want beginners and kids being so far away from a bailout point.

I’d like to know how long it takes to do from Top of Thredbo to East Jindy for a mega day out.

Where is this section located?

That photo is about 1k before the trout hatchery.

You are correct about the lower section being inaccessible, the only way in and out is by the trail.

Regarding your proposed mega ride, assuming you went down the AM trail from the top of the main chairlift, then continued on from the Jindabyne town centre to East Jindy, that would add about another hour for me to the ride, taking it from 3 hours to 4 hours. I did something like that two years ago, chairlift, AM track, TVT to where it then ended about 8km past the ski tube, then back to Thredbo. That took me about 4.5 hours from memory.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
just about to head down, and theyve just closed the park (and presumably thredbo) for fire risk till at least friday! ;(

at the same time there doesnt seem to be any out of control fires on the RFS web site, so i wonder whats going on?

anyway, heading down for the superflow event, so will get a chance to ride the new trails ;D

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
just about to head down, and theyve just closed the park (and presumably thredbo) for fire risk till at least friday! ;(

at the same time there doesnt seem to be any out of control fires on the RFS web site, so i wonder whats going on?

anyway, heading down for the superflow event, so will get a chance to ride the new trails ;D
There was a fire at Charlottes Pass a few days ago, there is also a large fire on the VIC side that won’t show on the NSW app. I think the NPWS closures are for any area deemed at risk regardless of an actual fire burning locally.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Callouts all across Southern NSW and ACT for livestock transport to move animals away from fires. Probably best to avoid traveling down there this week.

peanut

Likes Dirt
I did a ride from crackenback cafe down towards the trout hatchery in early november, rode for 1 hr down & got past the 4km to go sign before the hatchery, then turned around & rode back up, took 1hr 25mins back to the cafe. ( had a limited ride window,my turn to entertain unruly children).
It's a bit of a chore on the way back up, lots of pinch climbing, especially back up to the lookout. it didn't help I'm running a 1x10, 32 36 combo, i was dreaming of a dinner plate out the back up every climb. definitely a cooler weather climb.
I thought there was a distinct style change in the trail design & building from the lookout down, really liked the trail before that point.

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
Just got back to Vic today From Thredbo
Pretty rough up that way loads of smoke we left the village yesterday when the fires reached Tom groggin as did 90% of the people. There are now fires at dead horse gap about 5km from the village.
only way in and out of the area is through Cooma then Canberra if you want to get to victoria, but visibility is at about 5meters in Cooma due to smoke.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah spoke to my mate on the trail crew at Thredbo and everyone has been moved out to Jindy, staff and all. I was joping to get down there 6/7 Jan but that's not gonna happen.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does any one have any news on when the mtb trails will be open? The website is showing all the trails as closed and the email I received gave the impression it was open again.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
FYI - The trails at Thredbo are at an all time high at the moment. It’s the equivalent of a powder day today. Ts actual HERO dirt, not BS marketing ‘hero’ dirt.

it’s not just that the dirt is great, but the trail crews have been working almost the entire time over the last few weeks including a period when everything was closed to guests.

So they have fixed and improved large sections across all trails. Ricochet especially is far better than the dust bowl it was when it opened.
Today is possibly the best day riding that I have had here.