The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Fuck off you God bothering bell end:

In his New Year’s message, the prime minister, Scott Morrison, said the fires were having a “devastating impact” and warned that the weeks and months ahead would “continue to be difficult”.

“I wish we had better news on New Year’s Eve but, one news we can always take comfort in is the amazing spirit of Australians,” he said. “We have faced these disasters before and we have come through.”
When is it the right time to discuss the science explaining what's happening here?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's not a new problem though. It's always been this way. The author of the article aligns himself with the opposition to government. That, and only that, is the point of the article.
Politicking shits me, no matter who does it.
Politicking is what created a lot of the problem being discussed - hard to ponder the solutions without politics being mentioned.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Is this the language of a fence-sitter?
I dunno... Thats not stooge like by my reading. And if it is I suspect he has changed his tune, or at least views this government differently to the historical ones in that article.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've been reading his work for years, I always got the feeling he was centre leftish and no fan of the LNP. Interesting you're reading LNP fan.

Never mind, point is the article about the increased reliance on volunteers to fund tax cuts for the rich is interesting.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I've been reading his work for years, I always got the feeling he was centre leftish and no fan of the LNP. Interesting you're reading LNP fan.

Never mind, point is the article about the increased reliance on volunteers to fund tax cuts for the rich is interesting.
Yeah, I'm flailing a bit, but all prominent journo's are affiliated to one party or the other. It's how the media works. Again, this isn't new, it's just more visible now.
It's no secret that we've had years of warnings about the inevitable outcome of cutbacks on hazard reduction management. Can we really lay that all on the Federal Government?
Disclaimer: I don't have a political party preference. The choices suck arse.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This is not because of hazard reduction cutbacks... Thats an LNP line that is a distortion of things at best.

Are we seriously suggesting we should have burnt all the national parks to stop them burning?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I read that before I looked at his articles. What am I missing?
Do you think someone other than Ross Gittins (or his staff) wrote the Wiki entry?
You appear to have missed the fact that he is a respected economist and that his description of the LNP as quoted above is criticism rather than a description of the approach used by parties of both persuasions at federal and state level
All governments have been doing it. State governments, for instance, have long left country (but not city) fire-fighting to volunteers. And have long underfunded the upkeep of public schools, believing parents and citizens can be left to make up the shortfall.
This is the kind of person that thinks actors are important. They don't get the exposure unless they're somebody's stooge.
Again with the reading comprehension. He stated that he had donated to a different charity at the same location previously. This is then the lead into the economic discussion about shifting of costs from the government to private persons (voluntary, welfare etc).
Yeah, I'm flailing a bit, but all prominent journo's are affiliated to one party or the other. It's how the media works. Again, this isn't new, it's just more visible now.
He's an economist, not a journalist. As @Haakon said trying reading his other published works

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
You appear to have missed the fact that he is a respected economist and that his description of the LNP as quoted above is criticism rather than a description of the approach used by parties of both persuasions at federal and state level

Again with the reading comprehension. He stated that he had donated to a different charity at the same location previously. This is then the lead into the economic discussion about shifting of costs from the government to private persons (voluntary, welfare etc).

He's an economist, not a journalist. As @Haakon said trying reading his other published works
We'll have to agree to disagree while we agree.

He is most definitely a journalist. An opinionated economic journalist.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Unfortunately by the next election all this will be forgotten, and once again the public with be all like “oh look a tax cut”, “sack the public service they do nothing”, “them immigrants took our jobs”...
I see you’ve played this game before ;)