Fire Warnings

stirk

Burner
oh right. “It’s not the time”?
The time is always now to discuss matters of importance but all done with measure and respect and all I read is bickering and jokes now. Anyone having a laugh or a dig in this thread can fuck off. Have some respect.

I'm sad and angry at the same time, sorry for any disturbance.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
fucking hell - 381 families had a house on the 30th, now they dont, towns with no bush adjacent have burned to the ground, quite possibly a dozen people have died in the last few days, and people need to harp on about politics like its going to change anything.

heard quite a few stories though of towns pulling together, no shortage of food and water being donated and delivered to where its needed

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sweet! I knew there was a trick to it... Who shall I sacrifice?
Be careful...in these superstitious times of manual labour and physical strength in war and hunting, you lack the only other attribute that will keep you off the altar - charisma. Your best bet is to lay low until the next bronze Age.

moorey

call me Mia
fucking hell - 381 families had a house on the 30th, now they dont, towns with no bush adjacent have burned to the ground, quite possibly a dozen people have died in the last few days, and people need to harp on about politics like its going to change anything.

heard quite a few stories though of towns pulling together, no shortage of food and water being donated and delivered to where its needed
Yep.

Unfortunately, also hearing of price gouging for water, basic food, and fuel, in areas cut off. Hope it’s not the case.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Be careful...in these superstitious times of manual labour and physical strength in war and hunting, you lack the only other attribute that will keep you off the altar - charisma. Your best bet is to lay low until the next bronze Age.
buggerit...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The time is always now to discuss matters of importance but all done with measure and respect and all I read is bickering and jokes now. Anyone having a laugh or a dig in this thread can fuck off. Have some respect.

I'm sad and angry at the same time, sorry for any disturbance.
You perhaps misinterpret me. Black humour is a means of dealing with the utter and unforgivable madness of these times.

In no way shape or form do I or anyone else here downplay or disrespect the seriousness of what’s happening - quite the reverse.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Yep.

Unfortunately, also hearing of price gouging for water, basic food, and fuel, in areas cut off. Hope it’s not the case.
Happened in Tassie last big fires too and the shit hit the fan when people found out they were charging $5 a litre for milk and $10 ! Loaf of bread. IGA booted the franchisee as soon as it hit the news and other store owners were boycotted and pretty much run out of town. I would hope the same would happen this time.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Local Hip Pocket store in Woden is discounting masks by 30% and receiving a large shipment tomorrow. Someone has died in Canberra from the smoke. Will post political thing in the right thread.

Canberra is on alert and the Monaro tourist leave area is massive. We're ready to go if the wind is less south and stronger than predicted.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
the crew with the burnover has done a short vid on what happened

sorry for social media link, theres probably a better one elsewhere but couldnt find. essentially it was a fire and rescue truck and crew not RFS, so a professional team (as opposed to volunteer not amateur). they were heading down that road to support 2 other crews, wind changed and front appeared in 30 seconds.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I got a call from The Young Man last night. He's been working up in Bright for the last couple of months, and being a CFA volunteer, is also on the fire crew up there. He said the fire's currently 20km away, and they're preparing for the worst. The've even had to close the brewery, so you know it's bad!

I'm simultaneously very proud of him, and a little bit scared. I know he knows what he's doing, and he's assured me they don't go into a situation without an escape route planned, but still...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Enough political bullshit in this thread. I will move those to the election thread where you can go your hardest. Thisis about the fire, its impact, loss of life etc etc.

If you must try for some cheap point scoring do it in the election thread. Further politicising in here will earn the offender some time to go and fight the fires without being inconvenienced with having to log in.

This message will self destruct in 24 hours or once the repeat offenders log in again. And there are 7 of you.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
the crew with the burnover has done a short vid on what happened

sorry for social media link, theres probably a better one elsewhere but couldnt find. essentially it was a fire and rescue truck and crew not RFS, so a professional team (as opposed to volunteer not amateur). they were heading down that road to support 2 other crews, wind changed and front appeared in 30 seconds.
That is fucking scary. They know all too well how much air they have, no idea how far to walk out, yet still hoofing it. We’d all do the same thing.

So RFS employees get breathing apparatus, volunteers nothing?

moorey

call me Mia
I got a call from The Young Man last night. He's been working up in Bright for the last couple of months, and being a CFA volunteer, is also on the fire crew up there. He said the fire's currently 20km away, and they're preparing for the worst. The've even had to close the brewery, so you know it's bad!

I'm simultaneously very proud of him, and a little bit scared. I know he knows what he's doing, and he's assured me they don't go into a situation without an escape route planned, but still...
He’s a fine lad doing awesome work.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Canberryians if you didn't catch the latest briefings some info I gleaned from local radio this morning:

• The current fires will not reach Canberra tomorrow, 99% certainty, thus we are in a state of alert
  • If new fires start in the wrong place they could easily reach Canberra with results possibly worse than 2003, lightning is a possibility, so is a state of emergency and forced evacuations
  • Heavy monitoring is going on, including use of drones to keep the services informed and they will be passing on live information, ABC local radio, ESA web and Fires Near Me will be kept up to date
  • Despite rhetoric about how bad the fuel load is across the state and country, ACT has had a solid and much more well funded program of hazard reduction since 2003, including installation of tanks and maintenance of roads to enable remote fire fighting within the Territory

I think the main message was that we're a lot more ready for this but the same result could ensue given the conditions, so be ready for the worst case scenario.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I went to Bunnings this morning to get an extra hose and nozzle, and it was pandemonium in there. Most stuff sold out and people everywhere opening boxes.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
So RFS employees get breathing apparatus, volunteers nothing?
RFS is the volunteers. These guys are staties. Fire & Rescue . They attend house and building fires, which is why they carry breathing apparatus.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I went to Bunnings this morning to get an extra hose and nozzle, and it was pandemonium in there. Most stuff sold out and people everywhere opening boxes.
Yeah I'm supposed to be getting a hose joiner to be able to make a longer hose at some stage today. In 2003 water pressure dropped quickly so the hose became useless.

We have a hydrant tank at the back of the house, was wondering how a community could gain access to that in these situations, there appear to be two large tanks in the park behind us.