Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I interact with people from ranging economic & social backgrounds, across the entire city in both work & personal life.

I know what the underlying city-centric feelings are.

Sydney celebrated with fireworks FFS. I cannot think of a single person I talked to who thought it was a ridiculous notion. Well, one person. One. And it wasn't even my wife!
Millions of dollars in donations are coming out of the cities. Just sayin'

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Millions of dollars in donations are coming out of the cities. Just sayin'
$25m and counting on just one request. even coles and woolworths have sent off semi trailers full of trinkets - every account i have read from people on the ground has been of over whelming support from the wider community. quite frankly, people give a shit.

celebrating by watching fireworks and having a beer or 2 is not the equivalent of not giving a shit

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Celebrities are leading the donation cause. Yippee.

Shit should have been in people's consciousness a bloody month ago.

And yes, celebrating anything right now is not giving a shit. Mourning should be the go.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I interact with people from ranging economic & social backgrounds, across the entire city in both work & personal life.

I know what the underlying city-centric feelings are.

Sydney celebrated with fireworks FFS. I cannot think of a single person I talked to who thought it was a ridiculous notion. Well, one person. One. And it wasn't even my wife!
Right, so you personify the standard for political and social survey methodology in the greater Sydney region.

Get off your horse, the altitude sickness is impacting your judgement

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Right, so you personify the standard for political and social survey methodology in the greater Sydney region.

Get off your horse, the altitude sickness is impacting your judgement
My point is that people in cities think differently to people in country regions. They are distanced from the food supply chain & generally don't associate with the natural world with the same affinity. I look for signs that this is not true but fail to find any broad evidence.

As long as there are products on supermarket shelves, a job pay the bills & fuel available for their cars, all's good. Economy is all important. City is what city is.

From what I've observed, these fires have brought this divide into even clearer view.

You can think what you think, I will think what I think.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Busy office this morning, first day back for most.

Lots of "how were your holidays?" conversations - not one person I overhead discussed the fire situation. The only sympathy I heard was for one lass who worked through the break & had no time off.

Jobsngrof.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Busy office this morning, first day back for most.

Lots of "how were your holidays?" conversations - not one person I overhead discussed the fire situation. The only sympathy I heard was for one lass who worked through the break & had no time off.

Jobsngrof.
So why do you need to hear your view poor from others?

It could be that this emergency has become so politicised that people are avoiding talking about it in case they offend.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I love how every here gets up in arms because I'm vocalising my observations.

I'm also trying to be as objective as I can with my observations.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So why do you need to hear your view poor from others?

It could be that this emergency has become so politicised that people are avoiding talking about it in case they offend.
isn't that part of the problem. Not talking about important things for fear of offending someone, not everyone, just someone. These fires are the first proper big warming of the impact of climate change. The fire chiefs (I think it was the group scumMO refused to meat with) have admitted that the ferocity of the fires has been caused by global warming (not lack of back burning etc). But once they've been put out people will forget and go back to their business as usual, complaining about the insurance premium increases and cost of produce rising because of the fires.

Donating money whilst generous will do not a fucking thing about stopping this from happening in the future. Slacktivism is now such an important part of society, people will tell anyone who will listen how they "did their part" and donated because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside without actually doing something.

This need to be politicised every day until change is made. if the people make global warming a political issue then either the current party will be forced to make meaningful change or the opposition party can use it as a platform to win the next election.

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
isn't that part of the problem. Not talking about important things for fear of offending someone, not everyone, just someone. These fires are the first proper big warming of the impact of climate change. The fire chiefs (I think it was the group scumMO refused to meat with) have admitted that the ferocity of the fires has been caused by global warming (not lack of back burning etc). But once they've been put out people will forget and go back to their business as usual, complaining about the insurance premium increases and cost of produce rising because of the fires.

Donating money whilst generous will do not a fucking thing about stopping this from happening in the future. Slacktivism is now such an important part of society, people will tell anyone who will listen how they "did their part" and donated because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside without actually doing something.

This need to be politicised every day until change is made. if the people make global warming a political issue then either the current party will be forced to make meaningful change or the opposition party can use it as a platform to win the next election.
Yeah, whatever...
So when we hear the majority of fires are lit by firebugs. blame it on climate change.
Lack of backburning thanks to stupid green policies, lets just blame climate change.
Remember, even if Australia goes back to the stone age, with ZERO carbon emmisions, there would be NO effect to the temperature.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Yeah, whatever...
So when we hear the majority of fires are lit by firebugs. blame it on climate change.
Lack of backburning thanks to stupid green policies, lets just blame climate change.
Remember, even if Australia goes back to the stone age, with ZERO carbon emmisions, there would be NO effect to the temperature.
you sound like a bloke who thinks all bicycles should be registered. With so much information publicly available how can anyone actually believe any of this bullshit?