Fire Warnings

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That's a lot better than the reply I wrote. Looking through the bush, you can see much further than usual.

I spend a lot of time in the bush, I live in it. Don't like leaving it much. Limb dropping is on the up this summer, from my personal obs. I've actually seen two come down on the property I'm on recently. Heard the crack, and saw it fall. The last one would have crushed a car.
The angophoras around here are dropping limbs as a self-preservation drought response.

Many reports of the shedding of major limbs often in response to summer drought or high wind velocities in urban landscape plantings, formative prune to develop strong structure.
Quite a bit of it happening, not a huge increase over and above the last 20 years I've been here.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have Crow's, silver and yellow ashes, Qld maples, quandongs, silky oaks, white beech, red and white cedar and a few non cabinet native hardwoods along with brush box and iron barks. The ashes have dropped folliage and the cedars are dying back but I expect both will recover with rain. The silky oaks are least troubled but the box are dying. Probably have lost 8 or 10 and another 20 or so shrubbie things.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Help me here please...

Was there a significant back burn operation last year in the blue mountains of NSW called off due to the excessive smoke and subsequent drop in air quality?

Back burning, while possibly reducing the overall impact of a wild fire, will still produce a significant amount of carbon + friends?

Why do people struggle to see the link between the lengthy drought streek in NSW and increased bush fires? Further this drought streek is without precedent, if not global warming and environmental mismanaged for too long what is the cause?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My Renault has been essentially parked under a tree for the last 5 weeks, only one short run to stromlo. Got in it this morning to go to work and the AC system reeks of smoke.

Hope it doesn’t end up being like an ex smokers car you never get the smell out of...

Flow-Rider

Burner
My Renault has been essentially parked under a tree for the last 5 weeks, only one short run to stromlo. Got in it this morning to go to work and the AC system reeks of smoke.

Hope it doesn’t end up being like an ex smokers car you never get the smell out of...
Don't they have a cabin filter you can replace ?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Speaking of cabin filters....

just rigged up this - not sure how effective it will be, but using a large floor fan to draw air through a cabin filter might help take some smoke put of air?

partner found idea on facebook, apparently the filters are selling out fast

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah its got activated charcoal* layer

*carbon
That’s not a bad idea. I have new charcoal in the shed I got for the Alfa and a big fan. Like all good ideas it’s obvious in hindsight!

We did ok keeping the house closed up though.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Speaking of cabin filters....

View attachment 358628
View attachment 358629

just rigged up this - not sure how effective it will be, but using a large floor fan to draw air through a cabin filter might help take some smoke put of air?

partner found idea on facebook, apparently the filters are selling out fast
Love it, great build

This is what I'm setting up, they will only be hepa but also have a regular purifier so the more the merrier right. Just waiting on the postie for the filters. Also nice that the link has some real world data so we won't argue over its effectiveness.