Fire Warnings

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
^ I might be. Was just providing what's his face with an example of fire retards not going well, as he said there e wasn't much info about the stuff...sure there is plenty of different versions, we live in the time of choice! Look how many "milks" there are for your coffee...
There are plenty of different retardants with plenty of different chemicals in them. The old foam used to be protein based (I believe squished up vegans;)) and absolutely stank...

I certainly don’t want to put any retardants in my mouth...

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
It doesn't detract from your point. The red zone refers to the area around the base where people's live have been totally fucked over by the RAAF's irresponsible use of fire retardant. The Dept of defence denies accountability. If you google a few news articles about it you'll see what I mean l.
Sorry mate. I was on a different track. I know about the shitfight you're talking about. Totally missed your point

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I think @pink poodle is agreeing with you in his own round about sarcastic way. This stuff is not safe but there is very little research on it because there is no money for said research. I just get confused why everyone wants to hear from the scientists now, isn't it the media and politicians that do science now?
Yeah, I wasn't on my game at the time. Sorry PP, you da man.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Publishing that photo wasn’t a good idea. Now an evening on google earth matching up that shape gorge would yield its location...
Looks like they've done some edits. Still a needle in a haystack without the burnt out areas around it.

The 4WD brigade will love taking their GQ Patrols to the region. Bring it on!
You'd have to be the biggest fucknut in the world to want to try and find it. Even if you were that fucknut I'd hope the best GQ Patrol in the world couldn't get you there.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Apparently when they were first discovered, the location was openly detailed on the some bushwalking club websites but NPWS(?) went to some lengths to have all these references removed, with some published locations changed to refer to botanical gardens around the country where specimens are growing!

If you went digging you'd probably find out where they are likely to be found - fortunately it would seem they are somewhat difficult to get to, requiring abseiling equipment to access the ravine(s) in which they are hiding. I'm satisfied enough with the knowledge that they have survived the fires and hopefully will continue to flourish despite us.

Hope all you mexicans are getting enough of this rain where it counts too.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Has this been posted yet - Wollemi Pines have been saved?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-16/morning-briefing-january-16/11871370

One small win for the dedicated firies. The concern now is that they might be very easy to spot and their location becoming more widely known?
The location of the pines is something of an open secret already - I've never been there but I have a rough idea where they are. They are still very difficult to get to though...no chance at all of getting a vehicle anywhere near them.

The strike force did a fine job protecting them...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm so buying a Wollemi Pine. I had heard a while back the ones at the Arboretum were going quite good but haven't heard or seen lately, @droenn have you had a look on your way past recently?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'm so buying a Wollemi Pine. I had heard a while back the ones at the Arboretum were going quite good but haven't heard or seen lately, @droenn have you had a look on your way past recently?
nope! they are out on the western side, I've only ridden the south and along the east recently.. might have to have a little detour....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
nope! they are out on the western side, I've only ridden the south and along the east recently.. might have to have a little detour....
Nah they are half way up the east side, there's a picture somewhere of Mrs standing near one when they first went in. Above the road though so thinking about it you wouldn't see them on the lower dirt road.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
With regards to fire retardant, the stuff is fine. It barely poses any sort of risk to humans or the environment. You need to be eating the stuff 3 times a day or some other similar deliberate act of foolishness to get sick from from it and even then its no guarantee and only mild. Just ask the department of defence or the people living around the red zone of Williamstown RAAF base. Its actually good stuff.
the red stuff that plane drop is actually a phosphate based fertilizer mixed into water that helps to slow the spread of fire and cool it down, where as AFFF (aqueous film forming foam) reacts with water to form a barrier over the fire and stop its supply of oxygenated air from feeding the fire.
I would love to have a discussion on that topic too, but too many experts on here with NFI to make it a worthwhile venture.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had the opportunity to see the latter tested on a heavy grass fire, controlled burn anyway so little risk. Amazing result compared with spraying water but the warnings and labels would scare me if I was handling it regularly.