Fire Warnings

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That Hamilton fire station finding...it only just passed into private ownership a few years ago. That developer must be pissed!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
you believe what you want to believe !
I work on a RAAF base, I work on equipment that treats ground water, I work on equipment that treats trade waste, I work on equipment that pumps AFFF, I work with people that have lived their whole lives inside the RED Zone, I have done many many hours of my own research to put my own mind at ease working on these systems and I listen to all the misinformation spruiked by the media!....but I am no expert, just a concerned citizen!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Have you had yourself screened fats? I wish you well and hopefully it is low risk to you.
no, do you think I need to?
the people sitting at the end of the runway watching planes takeoff overhead and being covered by jet fuel exhaust are at far more risk to health effects than the PFAS will ever be!..the additives in Jet fuel are a well documented and known carcinogen!

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
you believe what you want to believe !
I work on a RAAF base, I work on equipment that treats ground water, I work on equipment that treats trade waste, I work on equipment that pumps AFFF, I work with people that have lived their whole lives inside the RED Zone, I have done many many hours of my own research to put my own mind at ease working on these systems and I listen to all the misinformation spruiked by the media!....but I am no expert, just a concerned citizen!
OK, that does qualify you. Why are you dismissing the findings of a decade (at least) of investigation?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is a sad truth that many people have died from industry standard practices and legal dose levels many years later. Part of growing up and learning more about what things do and what we have done to things. Agree whole heatedly about uncontrolled legal drugs too.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Contaminated land auditor in a previous life here. Ex military bases had/have big problems with super nasty shit in the groundwater from fire retardant chemicals.

These are not in use anywhere anymore as fas as I know and bear no resemblance in any way to the fire retardants being used on bushfires which are pretty benign.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
From what I am seeing, the health effects from this stuff are pale in comparison to the mental health and anxiety issues that are being driven by the mainstream media, people are contemplating suicide and causing serious harm by excess (alcohol, smoking, drugs) as a coping measure!
I did what now?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Is that a study done by Bayer or influenced by them ?
haha, no. but your proviso of "ïnfuenced" can sometimes be used to cover any eventuality. ive been bored enough in the past to read through the multitude of data in that case, the best one is the farm workers study with 66,000 or something like that, and theres no increased incidence.

FWIW, i started with the expectation that it was a carcinogen, but when challenged by a scientist i respect, i decided to read the studies and changed my mind. it may be a carcinogen .

Then again i know for sure that alcohol is, and even at low doses it associates with specific cancers - i am certain that alcoholic beverages cause more cancers per exposure than glyphosate, but i doubt i'll be suing Lion Nathan. anyway, your call, go and read the data and the opinions of the various epidemiologists who have weighed in to the fray

FigBo0T

which isnt reflected in the scientific studies. im pretty sure the same is for Williamtown -no cluster of cancer according to the epidemiological data - but people dont accept science these days
I was more focused on the ecological effects. Who mentioned cancer clusters?

Same goes for glyphosate. Weeds adapting to resistance, soil contamination, government subsidies, fish kills, etc, etc ....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I was more focused on the ecological effects. Who mentioned cancer clusters?

Same goes for glyphosate. Weeds adapting to resistance, soil contamination, government subsidies, fish kills, etc, etc ....
im local - most of the residents complaints are around health effects in the local rag.

Glyphosate has the big advantage of others as not contaminating soil because it breaks down - anyway, i am also not againt GMO's which seems to have been the shadow to glyphosate and the "ban it" movement. Said movement has harmed hundreds of thousands of people and lose any respect due to to the inhumanity from protesting golden rice - these 2 seem to go hand in hand in recent years

FigBo0T

im local - most of the residents complaints are around health effects in the local rag.

Glyphosate has the big advantage of others as not contaminating soil because it breaks down - anyway, i am also not againt GMO's which seems to have been the shadow to glyphosate and the "ban it" movement. Said movement has harmed hundreds of thousands of people and lose any respect due to to the inhumanity from protesting golden rice - these 2 seem to go hand in hand in recent years
I'm not against GMO either, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Totally agree with you on the golden rice fiasco.
As for the soil contamination, it is studied and documented. This is just the first thing to pop up on a quick search.
I don't know if it's a politically motivated site or not. It looks like real science.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Insect populations are being decimated.

Insecticides are part of the problem.

Anyway, this is the fire thread.

Here's a fire story:

Everything is interconnected. Everything.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So clearly the Koala is fucking doomed. Another of its refuges on French Island in Victoria is on fire.