27.5 is dead

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Bugger me...have we not figured out wheel size has nothing to do with the amount of enjoyment we get out of our game of bike...end of the day it doesn't really matter , some people can ride others struggle a bit. Just because you were tailgating mates and you were up their clacker had probably zero to do with different wheel sizes.

You say you're mates were on brand new rigs, give them a few weeks to ac-customise as you need to figure out how to give them a bit of body english but after that when they'll be at the the bottom of the hill before you chances are you'll all had the same amount of fun.
Nah, their bikes are 2020 models but they've been on em for at least a month each. Nothing to do with them having to get used to them.

Apart from that, not sure you read my post properly... Agree that wheelsize doesn't really matter

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Ive swapped out a 27.5 ( trek remedy ) for a 29 ( Nukeproof Mega 290 ) mostly positive but there are small things I miss with the smaller wheels ,

Come to the conclusion it may be best to have one of each :)

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Bugger me...have we not figured out wheel size has nothing to do with the amount of enjoyment we get out of our game of bike...end of the day it doesn't really matter , some people can ride others struggle a bit. Just because you were tailgating mates and you were up their clacker had probably zero to do with different wheel sizes.
To add to this, I wasn't 'up their clacker' just because I was riding too close to them, I was having to brake to stop myself from running into them on the exit of the turn despite us going into the turn at the same speed. The bigger wheels were noticeably slower to get back up to speed out of tight turns.
In terms of the 'fun elemement,' we all had fun on the ride, no doubt, but smaller wheels are generally more playful and nimble but geometry also plays a part.
Why does 'someone' go and put 27.5 wheels in a 29er frame when their sponsor gives them a 29er bike? (see attach)
Different wheel sizes do have different strengths and weaknesses despite the marketing guys telling us that 29 is 'faster' and therefore must be better but on ride, to you and me, we still walk away having a blast regardless and in that sense wheel size doesn't really matter......... but I still like having the choice.

Attachments

Scotty675

Cable thief
You'd be right..... Although are 2.5 still considered plus size? They seem to have become the norm on trail/enduro bikes these days.
I don't no what is considered a plus tyre. I'm normally a year or two behind the times. 2.35 is the widest tyre I've ever run, taken a gamble and trying a 2.6 for the first time today (29er).

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To add to this, I wasn't 'up their clacker' just because I was riding too close to them, I was having to brake to stop myself from running into them on the exit of the turn despite us going into the turn at the same speed. The bigger wheels were noticeably slower to get back up to speed out of tight turns.
In terms of the 'fun elemement,' we all had fun on the ride, no doubt, but smaller wheels are generally more playful and nimble but geometry also plays a part.
Why does 'someone' go and put 27.5 wheels in a 29er frame when their sponsor gives them a 29er bike? (see attach)
Different wheel sizes do have different strengths and weaknesses despite the marketing guys telling us that 29 is 'faster' and therefore must be better but on ride, to you and me, we still walk away having a blast regardless and in that sense wheel size doesn't really matter......... but I still like having the choice.
Your right Geo plays a big part.. No doubt your mates 29er’s rode like a barge. Because that’s what the are, big long plough machines. Modern shorter wheelbase trail 29ers get around tight corners as good as 27.5’s. But that is what they are designed to do, they ain’t winch and drop bikes.