29er Tyre Thread

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Not as stiff as the Vittorias but better than the Conti I've got on the front, also not quite as free rolling as a Mezcal, but very very close. Nicely predictable between upright and fully tilted. I'm waiting for a new Barzo to arrive to see if it can overpower the rear grip. The OLD 2.2 Conti X-King doesn't have the cajones to take charge of the Canis anymore
Beautiful description. It's like reading music. I'm now going to google Vittorias. Probably end up with coffee somehow...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Beautiful description. It's like reading music. I'm now going to google Vittorias. Probably end up with coffee somehow...
I highly recommend them, I thought you were thinking more aggressive, I would've spoke up sooner. The Mezcal has a spine down the centre for better rolling, and is a tiny bit looser laterally.

I know its not your main consideration, but the Onza Canis and Svelte are showing bugger all wear for the same sort of time/distance as everything else I've run

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maxxis Forecasters in 2.35 exo are a great front xc tyre (good on the rear for a pedalling trail bike). Enough bite in the loose over hard pack but still roll very well. They are a great maxxis version of the Nobby nic.. without the squirmy knobs, shit sidewalls and shit puncture protection.
Maxxis rate them a xc wet weather tyre but I find them just as rubbish as any xc tyre in the wet but great for hard and loose over hard.

DMan

I highly recommend them, I thought you were thinking more aggressive, I would've spoke up sooner. The Mezcal has a spine down the centre for better rolling, and is a tiny bit looser laterally.

I know its not your main consideration, but the Onza Canis and Svelte are showing bugger all wear for the same sort of time/distance as everything else I've run
I like the Svelte. My spare wheel set I used for the Port to Port last year ran Sveltes. They're a nice tyre.

DMan

Maxxis Forecasters in 2.35 exo are a great front xc tyre (good on the rear for a pedalling trail bike). Enough bite in the loose over hard pack but still roll very well. They are a great maxxis version of the Nobby nic.. without the squirmy knobs, shit sidewalls and shit puncture protection.
Maxxis rate them a xc wet weather tyre but I find them just as rubbish as any xc tyre in the wet but great for hard and loose over hard.
Currently running a Forecaster on the front of her bike. Great tyre

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I like Vittoria Mezcals and Onza Lynx for 29er xc/trail duties. The Vittorias have crazy strong sidewalls and the graphene compounds wear really well.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A list of tyres to try that I compiled for @DMan who mentioned his missus usually used EXO Ikons but was on the hunt for reliable, light, fast rolling options..... There's a few to try

Other similar patterns to the IKON (nice rounded profile and mid to low blocks for good rolling but decent grip) could be.... (FYI I haven't USED most of these)
Schwalbe
Racing Ralph
Racing Ray
Thunder Burt
Michelin
Jet XCR
Force
Country Dry 2
WTB
Nano
Nineline
Ranger
Onza
Svelte
Canis
Vittoria
Barzo
Gato
Mezcal
Peyote
Kenda
Saber
Booster
Honey badger XC
And that's not even looking at other Maxxis, Bontrager or Specialized....

Cardy George

A list of tyres to try that I compiled for @DMan who mentioned his missus usually used EXO Ikons but was on the hunt for reliable, light, fast rolling options..... There's a few to try

Other similar patterns to the IKON (nice rounded profile and mid to low blocks for good rolling but decent grip) could be.... (FYI I haven't USED most of these)
Schwalbe
Racing Ralph
Racing Ray
Thunder Burt
Michelin
Jet XCR
Force
Country Dry 2
WTB
Nano
Nineline
Ranger
Onza
Svelte
Canis
Vittoria
Barzo
Gato
Mezcal
Peyote
Kenda
Saber
Booster
Honey badger XC
And that's not even looking at other Maxxis, Bontrager or Specialized....
That's been screenshot and saved for future reference! Cheers @Ackland!

Cardy George

Also Conti Race King and X-King, though not sure on distribution and pricing now
Not a huge fan of the Cross King, they're not bad, but when it was new(ish) it was about as a good as the worn out Barzo. And when I dropped the pressure to gain grip, the sidewalls folded over

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I just replaced the ancient 2.35 Nobby Nic on my front wheel with a 2.4 DHR2.

Super impressed with the DHR actually, feels very precise and confidence inspiring on Stromlo’s mix of loose over hardpack and sharp rocky sections.

The NN was old so probably not an entirely fair comparison, but for me the DHR on the front and Minion SS on the rear seems like a sweet spot for the riding around Canberra.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I just replaced the ancient 2.35 Nobby Nic on my front wheel with a 2.4 DHR2.

Super impressed with the DHR actually, feels very precise and confidence inspiring on Stromlo’s mix of loose over hardpack and sharp rocky sections.

The NN was old so probably not an entirely fair comparison, but for me the DHR on the front and Minion SS on the rear seems like a sweet spot for the riding around Canberra.
Any reason you chose a DHR (over the DHF) for the front?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Any reason you chose a DHR (over the DHF) for the front?
I had a couple of tyres I bought on sale a while ago sitting ready. I think I did buy it assuming it was a rear tyre, but after reading @pharmaboy’s posts a couple of pages back it seems the DHF and DHR aren’t specifically front and rear tyres after all.

Probably too much tread for a rear tyre in our dry conditions regardless.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I had a couple of tyres I bought on sale a while ago sitting ready. I think I did buy it assuming it was a rear tyre, but after reading @pharmaboy’s posts a couple of pages back it seems the DHF and DHR aren’t specifically front and rear tyres after all.

Probably too much tread for a rear tyre in our dry conditions regardless.
DHR = DH Race, DHF=DH Freeride.

The DHR is the better front and the DHF is the better rear IMO.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm aware of the naming code differences and Race & Freeride and all that....(not 100% convinced it isn't Front & Rear though)
My mates & I have a theory about the DHR and it's tread pattern when cornering.
But I respect personal preference over forum opinions & bro-science.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
What’s your theory? I haven’t tried a DHF so can’t really offer an opinion, but my first ride on the DHR was certainly positive for me.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Fair point, I didn’t notice the XC area when I searched for the thread.

Doesn’t feel that slow to me, but these things are relative.