Recommend me a hardtail

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Too late for this build, but Cotic BFe would be great too, they just cleared out the rest of the frames on discount, assuming it means new on way...

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would recommend a Canfield Nimble 9. It is a great all rounder. Modern geo with out going too long and slack. 140mm travel fork is plenty up front.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Right, so think it’s down to the two Ragelys and the Commencal.

Three different takes. Commencal biggest bike - long travel 29, probably the best at chunky stuff. Alloy less appealing.

Big Pig shorter travel 29 and luvly steel.

Blue Pig is have to build from a frame, but will take 2.6 tyres and a long fork for a 27.5 - it would be my choice I think, wheel diameter decent at that tyre width and lots of tyre volume has to be a good thing.

SLX vs NX not really a worry, either is good (with the b bolt upgrade on the NX at least!).

Have I got that all wrong..?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I'd go 29 over 27.5. I had the Commencal HT and it was ok....didn't doing anything well, a real grey bike for me...I've almost forgotten it.

Now on a Chameleon currently running 29 wheels (cushcore rear) and 140 Fox 36 with smashpot. I did try the 27.5 wheels with 2.6 Michelin tyres and I found it turned noticeably sharper but had an element of instability about it that I didn't like when I was hitting chattery terrain. Having to contend with having no rear suspension, I'll take any help I can get and 29 wheels just make things a little easier and remove a little more chatter which is welcome.

But yeah, 29er for sure over 27.5 imo.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
found a chameleon frame for sale on bike exchange atm...... $2500 for frame.

Which is the cost of the complete big wig from crc. Not really a viable option for ol’ haakahz mate.

Haakon

He called it himself anyway, he’s getting the Commencal. Not sure there are wrong answers that trio though!

I did also send him the eBay link for the x01 b bolt upgrade :)

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
found a chameleon frame for sale on bike exchange atm...... $2500 for frame.

Which is the cost of the complete big wig from crc. Not really a viable option for ol’ haakahz mate.
$2500 must be the new carbon one. I wasn't suggesting a Lizard btw just my preference on wheelsize...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
He called it himself anyway, he’s getting the Commencal.
The only dodgy thing on that is the NX Eagle cassette... all 620g of it. My Process had one and I swapped in a Zitto, way lighter at 360g, but a bit more fragile, I’m having to straighten teeth every couple of rides. He may not care, but I could feel the difference with the lighter cassette.

Haakon

The only dodgy thing on that is the NX Eagle cassette... all 620g of it. My Process had one and I swapped in a Zitto, way lighter at 360g, but a bit more fragile, I’m having to straighten teeth every couple of rides. He may not care, but I could feel the difference with the lighter cassette.
Not sure if being on a hardtail makes a heavy cassette more or less of an issue...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
He called it himself anyway, he’s getting the Commencal. Not sure there are wrong answers that trio though!

I did also send him the eBay link for the x01 b bolt upgrade :)
Hey Haakon, got any pics of the build? How is he finding it around Smithfield?