ATAC MTB pedals on a roadie..

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Anyone here run MTB pedals and shoes on their roadie? Do you find it better on your knees and more comfortable for your feet having more float??

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I commute on my cx bike with shimano MTB pedals.

Roadie has shimano road pedals.

My knees don't care either way, but the road pedals have a nicer platform feel to them.

Everyone if different though, I know some people use mtb pedals on the road for exactly the reason you are asking.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put MTB pedals on the roadie for any commuting. Just so much easier to get a quick start off at the lights.
My knees don't care either way with the MTB or SPD SL's on.

To be honest, if I didn't already have a really nice pair of road shoes, I'd run MTB pedals full time on the roadie. I have done all day rides without a problem, but not everyone feels the same way and get uncomfortable with MTB pedals on long road rides.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A good reason to run MTB pedals on a roadie is if you have to walk anywhere.
Not talking about the tap dancers and figure skaters at Cibo on a Sat'dy morning... like a 200m walk to your work place.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Anyone here run MTB pedals and shoes on their roadie? Do you find it better on your knees and more comfortable for your feet having more float??
Yes, those exact pedals in fact, still do. Never had a had hot-spot on my feet, but I've never used a road pedal so I don't know how I'd handle the lack of movement. It made much more sense to run one pedal system on every bike I had. Plus the convenience of double sided pedals made city riding much easier.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Roadie pedals have float, the Look Keo's I had on my roadie came in 0°, 4.5° and 9° float options. Road pedals are hard to clip out of, if you run the 9° float cleats, you have to make sure you can twist your foot far enough to clip out... or end up like a turtle on its back, bike in the air.

DMan

Thanks guys. Being able to get out is another issue like you guys say. My roadie pedals are fuckers for getting out of where as my MX2s are bliss. I'll change over a see how it feels. Do you guys run a stiffer soled MTB shoe though or just what you'd wear on your mtb? I run 2FOs for example which aren't that stiff compared to my roadies...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I do find spd a lot easier on the knees even with full float road spd-sl. I've graduated to all but my dedicated roadie to clipless/flats and will probably ditch spd-sl once the new bike spec and build gets done (tax return bike!).

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thanks guys. Being able to get out is another issue like you guys say. My roadie pedals are fuckers for getting out of where as my MX2s are bliss. I'll change over a see how it feels. Do you guys run a stiffer soled MTB shoe though or just what you'd wear on your mtb? I run 2FOs for example which aren't that stiff compared to my roadies...
only bring out the carbon soled 4.8mm low stack height if i’m trying to steal a kom off a roadie i don’t like, otherwise don’t mind about soft soles

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots and lots of road kms with mtb pedals (SPD in my case). Added bonus is that roadies think you are weird. Used carbon soled mtb shoes, I think that makes a difference.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate bought a roadie a few years ago for an occasional ride and it came with some minimalist lock in pedals that required a proprietary shoe. I did not recognise them as any of the usual suspects. He borrowed the shoes and really struggled because they were carbon soled and walking was a bit interesting but you were really clipped in even with the pedal loosened as far as it would go so that too was a problem for him. I had some A530 pedals (I think) from a bike purchase and fitted those and gave him my Shimano shoes since I ride flats now. Made a huge difference. Wound the springs off until he got used to the clipped in process and he could walk around without fear of falling over. Could be an old man new to a bike thing though.

DMan

Excellent. I shall flip the pedals on my roadie and run my MTB shoes then. I'll flip my wife;s too as she is doing shit loads more kms than me and feeling it her knees despite my constant massaging....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Excellent. I shall flip the pedals on my roadie and run my MTB shoes then. I'll flip my wife;s too as she is doing shit loads more kms than me and feeling it her knees despite my constant massaging....
Cheap thing to try out obviously, but don't discount bike fit or cleat positioning on the road bike as potential causes.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Cheap thing to try out obviously, but don't discount bike fit or cleat positioning on the road bike as potential causes.
+1 for bike fit. The smallest adjustment to cleat positioning on a roadie can be the difference between luxurious comfort, and outright hell.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DMan

Sigh. There's always someone who has to bring logic to the party. Why can't my MTB pedals just fix everything??

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just use flats ... I found the Time ATAC had too much rotation for proper road ... presuming you want to occassionally put some effort in and dont want to just poodle around everywhere.

If you arent into that then just use flats ... power transmission is just as good vs Times or Crank Bros et al pedals with lots of float. and all the benefits of flat shoes for other stuff off the bike.