2020 World Cup Discussion

moorey

call me Mia
The WC racing drives a lot of sales and enthusiasm for brands.
Think of it like F1. Mclaren don’t expect it to result in direct sales of cars.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The WC racing drives a lot of sales and enthusiasm for brands.
Think of it like F1. Mclaren don’t expect it to result in direct sales of cars.
If F1 results are what you are talking about, they should be struggling to sell a single road car.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
same/more money and less breaking bones. I think DH will take a backseat to Endurobro very, very soon.
I doubt that very much. Less extreme and more importantly, much more difficult to effectively/excitingly cover for TV.

JM delved into the reasons in this follow up article:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/inter...o-canyon-and-his-decision-to-race-enduro.html

Sounds like it was the best option he had. Could be a good move for him, even if he is back in DH for one of the biggest teams next year.

DOH ... didn't read to the end before responding ....

moorey

call me Mia
I doubt that very much. Less extreme and more importantly, much more difficult to effectively/excitingly cover for TV.

JM delved into the reasons in this follow up article:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/inter...o-canyon-and-his-decision-to-race-enduro.html

Sounds like it was the best option he had. Could be a good move for him, even if he is back in DH for one of the biggest teams next year.

DOH ... didn't read to the end before responding ....
Agreed though. I think the format and team structure will suit him to the ground. Nothing but love and respect for Jack, can’t wait to see him start to podium in the first year, and get his love for racing back.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Just shows how brutal DH racing is at world level if Jack Moir can't find a ride and has to go off and ride Enduro. reminds me very much of car racing where you either have to bring a massive amount of money into a team, have dad run the team, or be top 10 to get a ride. The rest are just picking up the scraps.

I still think Enduro will soon overtake DH in terms of factory support. The bikes, tech and venue's are all attainable. You can go out and actively compare yourself to your favourite riders.

We're also seeing a steady migration of DH also rans moving off to enduro and enduro riders placing highly in DH events showing that skills are transferable. i would expect to see schedules being moved so events no longer clash meaning riders can do full DH and Enduro programs, until temas stop them riding DH at all to prevent injury.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes and no. I see migration between the 2. Enduro Racing is still inaccessible to many people, due to the strenuous climbing and liaisons. I’m not super fit...far from it...one climb on the weekend at Falls Creek was 10km and 550m of elevation. On a big bike, with protective gear and FF helmet in Aussie summer...that’s pretty daunting, and was under 50% of the climbing.
Many hacks like me do both. So do many pro’s....though more of a migration to enduro as they get older. It’s also the challenge and variety of new tracks that people love.
Still can’t see DH going anywhere though. In reality, I know that WC is a silly, exclusive, elitist wank for a couple of races a year....but I still love it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'd love to know what is/was going on at Intense Factory Racing. Clearly they lost interest in JM. I don't think JM stopped trying.

Gwin was unbeatable with YT - joins Intense with complete conviction and proceeds to have the worst season in living memory.
And not all down to just bad luck - bikes that are difficult to ride promote crashes/injuries.
JM was already there and progressing nicely.....and then the wheels just fell off. Surely there's more to it than just the brand of suspension or tyres?
Shit bikes? Poor technical/resource management? Not enough money? (....all of the above?)
I guess if Gwin is back on the podium this year we'll know it was just a blip. But it will be interesting.

If JM is happy & comfortable with his new team and equipment, there's no reason why he won't turn up to the odd DH round & give the regulars a run for their money. (sorta like that little Belgian drug cheating prick on the GT....whatseesname-again...?)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd love to know what is/was going on at Intense Factory Racing. Clearly they lost interest in JM. I don't think JM stopped trying.

Gwin was unbeatable with YT - joins Intense with complete conviction and proceeds to have the worst season in living memory.
And not all down to just bad luck - bikes that are difficult to ride promote crashes/injuries.
JM was already there and progressing nicely.....and then the wheels just fell off. Surely there's more to it than just the brand of suspension or tyres?
Shit bikes? Poor technical/resource management? Not enough money? (....all of the above?)
I guess if Gwin is back on the podium this year we'll know it was just a blip. But it will be interesting.
Jack had his best results on the aluminum M29 a few seasons back didn’t he?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think what happens with Gwin and Intense is one of the stories that will be most compelling this season.

I think a bike that works for Aaron might not be one that works for everyone else. He’s absolutely steadfast in what he wants and he’s changed every bike, from every company he’s worked with. It can’t be all bad bikes.

You’d pick Jack for a win over Neko every day of the week, yet no one questions his spot

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think what happens with Gwin and Intense is one of the stories that will be most compelling this season.

I think a bike that works for Aaron might not be one that works for everyone else. He’s absolutely steadfast in what he wants and he’s changed every bike, from every company he’s worked with. It can’t be all bad bikes.

You’d pick Jack for a win over Neko every day of the week, yet no one questions his spot
Totally agree. The whole gwin intense thing is super wierd. Intense has always propagated that badass loose outsider thing with Palmer, Kovarik, young Sam Hill and to an extent the up and coming guys when it was Jack, Dean and Charlie on IFR. Now its lululemon shout outs, huge mansions and not a slayer tshirt in sight. Gwin bought himself a team and it seems the only thing the team and him have in common is a love of 'murica and stars and stripes. JM seemed to really do well on the proto m29 but the carbon production version didnt gel, add a change to kenda tires, trp and fox suspension once gwin came on board and id put some money on that bike feeling like a unfamiliar turd...

moorey

call me Mia
The storytelling & production values from this marketing company are more than impressive:

The series gets better & better & better...
Before watching the vid...the answer is ‘not long’. Finn has the skill and talent right now. He just needs to chill slightly and finish all his runs. I know he cops flack for perceived arrogance....I don’t see it. He’s still a bit of a goofy kid. Like a 10 month old Labrador who trips over his big feet but doesn’t stop wagging its tail.

NoFilter

Likes Dirt
Wow, sure we’ll hear what the driver was for him in time.
I reckon the driver will come out as him being the heathen amongst the god squad. That + God's cash + 'Murica = the new Intense. God boy has brought with him the most boring (and god bothering) MX racer in history to the team (Dungey) and also the guy that owns Geico Honda (god rides a honda) so I'm speculating there was no place for our beloved hippy shark attack and his laid back satan worshipping ways. I bet Napalm would be turning in his grave at the thought of this new Intense... Wait, is he alive or dead now? Anyways I reckon the good 'ol days of Intense winning races and partying hard are well and truly behind us.

I genuinely wish shark attack all the best in his new endeavour, hopefully he gets some fun in the new team. He is a joy to watch on the bike when he's on it and a bloody top human to talk to. Git sum.