The QUICK question thread.....

safreek

guys, just got a monster t from 98, having dramas getting the axle out.
I have loosened the small bolt on the lower right hand side but still can't get the axle to budge. I have been attempting to turn it anti clockwise. Thanks for any help.
The bolt to turn is on the left hand side

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
To be honest I am surprised at how good the condition is.
I'll put the crunt of an Allen key in a vice to turn it with the fork if I have to. Just need to know for sure it's an anticlockwise turn
post a pic from the other side and under the fork. try and get these parts in the photo if possible.

safreek

post a pic from the other side and under the fork. try and get these parts in the photo if possible.

Second photo is the right side of the axle, just a straight out hole, no turny bits, third photo shows the little boltie bit underneath, it's loose so realistically the axle should turn

Mattyp

Cows go boing
do up the small pinch bolt, (your 3rd pic) then undo the axle bolt with a real allen key, then loosen pinch bolt completely, leave the axle bolt in a few threads and give it a hit with a soft hammer. Corrosion is probably holding it all together. if you need you can lightly tap a flat screwdriver into the gap where the pinch bolt is to open it up a bit

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
do up the small pinch bolt, (your 3rd pic) then undo the axle bolt with a real allen key, then loosen pinch bolt completely, leave the axle bolt in a few threads and give it a hit with a soft hammer. Corrosion is probably holding it all together. if you need you can lightly tap a flat screwdriver into the gap where the pinch bolt is to open it up a bit
I'm not sure gentle is in the freaks capacity.

First off, on my monsters (much newer than these though) the pinch bolts sat flush in the fork...these may be an after market repair. Or they may just be as unrefined as an Italian car or motorcycle.

Flo the bike upside down, loosen the pinch bolts, start pumping the wd-40 or whatever brand not lube bbit cleaner you prefer into the opening on both sides, let it get in good and deep (I know deep isn't your specialty) then keep pumping it in...for a long time (again not one of your known skills, bit try it!)... alternatively someone on here (perhaps the duck) once ecomended vinegar as a gentle acid to break the bind caused by corrosion. Anyway once it is really well and truely pumped full off something that will break down that bind get your Allen key into the hole as far as it will penetrate, yep further than you normally achieve. Then take a nice long piece of pipe that snuggles onto your Allan key and create an extension lever. You may want a second person for this...you need to hold the bike down hard. Stand on he bars, push down on the BB shell, etc. And you pull hard and firm on that extension pipe (I use an old seat post or handle bars) until it goes CRACK and you shit your pants that you've busted something.

VERY VRY VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!!!

DO NOT JERK THE BAR! DO NOT HOT THE BAR! DO NOT TAP THE BAR! just lean into with those big old arms and your shiny arse glazed donut hands. It should eventually give out or your tear the head tube off. Either way...what a win!

Do not jerk it.

Set up go pro

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As per @pink poodle. Loosen and even remove the pinch bolt (which isn't the one mummy gave it) and then soak the shit out of it with shift ya bastard etc, not wd40 but a decent penetrant. Leave it 24 hours and top up the penetrant. Then put the pinch bolt back in and do it up until it is just firm by hand. Then with a real Allen key not the rounded off type move the main axle back and forwards slowly until it gets easier and comes out. Make sure the Allen key is all the way in, Fox 36s had a habit of rounding out and this wont be any different.

safreek

Unfortunately nothing works at the moment

safreek

I'm not sure gentle is in the freaks capacity.

First off, on my monsters (much newer than these though) the pinch bolts sat flush in the fork...these may be an after market repair. Or they may just be as unrefined as an Italian car or motorcycle.

Flo the bike upside down, loosen the pinch bolts, start pumping the wd-40 or whatever brand not lube bbit cleaner you prefer into the opening on both sides, let it get in good and deep (I know deep isn't your specialty) then keep pumping it in...for a long time (again not one of your known skills, bit try it!)... alternatively someone on here (perhaps the duck) once ecomended vinegar as a gentle acid to break the bind caused by corrosion. Anyway once it is really well and truely pumped full off something that will break down that bind get your Allen key into the hole as far as it will penetrate, yep further than you normally achieve. Then take a nice long piece of pipe that snuggles onto your Allan key and create an extension lever. You may want a second person for this...you need to hold the bike down hard. Stand on he bars, push down on the BB shell, etc. And you pull hard and firm on that extension pipe (I use an old seat post or handle bars) until it goes CRACK and you shit your pants that you've busted something.

VERY VRY VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!!!

DO NOT JERK THE BAR! DO NOT HOT THE BAR! DO NOT TAP THE BAR! just lean into with those big old arms and your shiny arse glazed donut hands. It should eventually give out or your tear the head tube off. Either way...what a win!

Do not jerk it.

Set up go pro
To be honest I had been thinking of vinegar, had a set of marz with the crome looking finish, stanchions had surface rust and it pulled them up near new.
I see you remembered our night together, I must have done something tight.