Latest eMTB tech

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I disagree that there are vastly more trail users because of ebikes.
I do too. But they're going to get more affordable. They allow inexperienced riders to go places that they probably shouldn't.

"I can ride further in the same time!!" seems to be a very common protest from the 'not triggered' ebike crew. I'm yet to see a logical rationalization for this conclusion though. The distance that you can ride a pedal-powered bicycle, should be proportionate to your fitness, and the terrain, not the kilowatt hours on your lithium battery, ffs.

I've ridden pushbikes since I could walk, and almost 50 years later, I can't walk very well any more. My spine is munted, with the added bonus of major nerve damage affecting the function of my legs, I've broken both feet and ankles, and I've had 3 lots of knee surgery. I love riding. It's easier than walking, and allows me to get cardio-vascular fitness, which I can't do on my feet anymore. If I attempt a climb and fail, I'll come back and try again tomorrow, or next week .... not go and buy a farkin motorbike.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"I can ride further in the same time!!" seems to be a very common protest from the 'not triggered' ebike crew. I'm yet to see a logical rationalization for this conclusion though. The distance that you can ride a pedal-powered bicycle, should be proportionate to your fitness, and the terrain, not the kilowatt hours on your lithium battery, ffs.
I dont get this. It’s commonsense that someone could ride further assisted than they could unassisted.

FigBo0T

I dont get this. It’s commonsense that someone could ride further assisted than they could unassisted.
Yes. It's just something I've seen multiple times in the last week or two. As a justification for the benefits of eMTB, I don't get it either.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bigger tyres, stronger components, heavier bikes all just add up to some sort of sub-optimal moto that's going to destroy the trails and potentially get all bikes banned in certain places. I think the Levo SL approach is much better. Work on making ebikes more like normal bikes with just a bit of assistance so the less fit can keep up.
That’s where I think most ppl want it. Sub 18kg with enough for uphill assistance not uphill racing. The price is just way too high at the moment.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes. It's just something I've seen multiple times in the last week or two. As a justification for the benefits of eMTB, I don't get it either.
What don’t you get?
I reckon 80% of my time riding is spent going uphill. If I had an ebike rather than getting 2 downhill runs I could do 6 in the same time. Even though the bike would be heavier that would be a lot more fun riding for me and skills progression too.

FigBo0T

I should show all of my cards. I don't hate eMTB. I can see that the regulars here who do ride them are (at face value at least) responsible, experienced mountain bikers. Probably more capable riders than me to boot. But you guys are the exception, not the rule.

They are very cool bits of kit, and if I was looking at commuting, I'd love one. Even on my local trails, which are MX/4WD trails, an ebike would great fun, not because they go further ..... but because they go faster .....

FigBo0T

What don’t you get?
I reckon 80% of my time riding is spent going uphill. If I had an ebike rather than getting 2 downhill runs I could do 6 in the same time. Even though the bike would be heavier that would be a lot more fun riding for me and skills progression too.
Why do you deserve to wear out the trail 3 times faster than 'normal' people? Because you paid more for your bike?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do you deserve to wear out the trail 3 times faster than 'normal' people? Because you paid more for your bike?
Do you seriously think the trails "wear out" do you want people to ride less? Ride uphill for longer? 1 run only?

Sorry I'm editing my post to add that I don't know why I have engaged here, the other 98% of the threads on this site are non emtb as has been stated a number of times the emtb section is not for emtb bashing.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Do you seriously think the trails "wear out"
Did you mistype?

(1)do you want people to ride less?
(2)Ride uphill for longer?
(3)1 run only?

Sorry I'm editing my post to add that I don't know why I have engaged here, the other 98% of the threads on this site are non emtb as has been stated a number of times the emtb section is not for emtb bashing.
1; no
2; no
3; no

Do you have any more ridiculous questions? Maybe, if you think I've stated any of this twaddle, you should quote me. Include "bashing" please.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you mistype?

1; no
2; no
3; no

Do you have any more ridiculous questions? Maybe, if you think I've stated any of this twaddle, you should quote me. Include "bashing" please.
I did quote you and I think it qualifies. You were responding to Mas2 and my points are a clear reference to his post.

FigBo0T

I did quote you and I think it qualifies. You were responding to Mas2 and my points are a clear reference to his post.
And they ignore what I've previously stated. What Mas2 was replying to.

Do you really think that trails don't wear out?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
've
And they ignore what I've previously stated. What Mas2 was replying to.

Do you really think that trails don't wear out?
Never seen one wear out here yet, I've been riding my MTBs here for 30 years. They require maintenance sure, but you are clearly trolling by writing something like

"Why do you deserve to wear out the trail 3 times faster than 'normal' people?".

The main trail wear I see is erosion and braking bumps on berms. Do you advocate the banning of shuttles as this adds far more runs and thus braking bumps to trails than ebikes?

My point is you come into a thread about emtb tech, ignore that all together and write things like what I quoted and again "not go and buy a farkin motorbike." if you can't see that's clearly anti ebike I can't help you.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what next, people whinging that Road cyclists should pay rego!
thanks Tubbsy, this thread was getting to trolling saturation point.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Me on my ebike is a total weight of 107kgs. My mate weighs more than this in his jocks and his bike is getting close to the weight of mine and it doesn't have a motor, should I perhaps have a word about his trail destruction? FFS...fat mtbers wrecking it for all the fit ebikers