Bafang mid drive conversion kits

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Well there you go:

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/document...vsi-27-mopeds-power-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf

2. Power-assisted pedal cycle - maximum power output 250 watts (a ‘Pedalec’) A ‘pedalec’ is a vehicle complying with the requirements of European Standard EN 15194: 2009 or EN 15194:2009+A1:2009: ‘Cycles – Electrically power assisted cycles – EPAC Bicycles’. To comply with EN 15194:
• The motor must be electric
• The maximum continuous power output of the motor cannot exceed 250 watts measured at the wheel Note: A motor that delivers 250 watts of continuous power can produce greater power for very short periods of time, which can be beneficial when pulling away at traffic lights or starting a hill climb.
• The rider must pedal the cycle to activate the motor*
• The motor must cut-off once the vehicle reaches 25 km/h, or sooner if the rider stops pedalling
• The vehicle must be certified by the manufacturer, and labelled as complying with EN 15194. The label must include the manufacturer’s name, the motor’s cut-off speed in km/h and its continuous rated power in watts.
* Pedalecs may be equipped with an optional low-speed start-up mode that allows the motor to power the cycle up to 6 km/h. This mode is activated by the user either when riding without pedalling or when the user is pushing the cycle.
Now...where to find this "time" detail...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you check out strava ebike rides on your local trails, the ones you know well, the power these bikes are putting out ain’t even close to 250w.. Way over especially uphill..
All the guys I know with commuter ebikes are way over the legal limit, bought from reputable shops in Melbourne. One even has a throttle to get the bike going so you don’t have to pedal to engage the motor initally.. It’s one of those rear hub drive units. Sits on 40-50km/h comfortably on his commute to work, with just him soft pedaling.
The stores selling these are a bit shit. The bloke in question had no idea his bike was not legal. Had no idea about the 25km/h assist limit either.. Thought he was doing the legal thing..

Calvin27

Eats Squid
@Calvin27 and @CHEWY - any recommendations on the best place to get a TSDZ mid-drive from? I see them on fleabay, aliexpress etc.
I got mine aliexpress.

If you check out strava ebike rides on your local trails, the ones you know well, the power these bikes are putting out ain’t even close to 250w.. Way over especially uphill
I'd go so far as to say the ones that are actually 'legal' get derestricted anyway. I'm talking about the off the shelf giants ,meridas, spesh etc. Either that or the bafangs quote peak power and not continuous. My 350w tzsd gets eaten alive by most 250 bikes out there - even the folks in step throughs commuting.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got mine aliexpress.

I'd go so far as to say the ones that are actually 'legal' get derestricted anyway. I'm talking about the off the shelf giants ,meridas, spesh etc. Either that or the bafangs quote peak power and not continuous. My 350w tzsd gets eaten alive by most 250 bikes out there - even the folks in step throughs commuting.
Yeah they are all pretty much derestricted but the reality of that doesn’t go down well with the e-cycling lobby.. The kenevo is a low power electric moto dressed up as a bicycle. I wonder how many warranty claims have actually been denied because of derestriction?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Grave dig been mtbiking 30 years but only recently converted a 26 inch hardtail to an e bike using a geared rear mini motor hub.
Goes well except for the difficulty fitting a rear disc. The person supplying it had NFI.
Anyway thinking of building my wife one too.
Dont want anything more than 200 -250 watt , dont want to get into a distracted discussion about what is legal and what is not .
My wife is fairly careless , would a small mid drive be OK clearance wise if she doesnt ride anything rocky ?.
Thinking maybe the smallest lightest Shimano steps motor she wont want anything too heavy ?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Grave dig been mtbiking 30 years but only recently converted a 26 inch hardtail to an e bike using a geared rear mini motor hub.
Goes well except for the difficulty fitting a rear disc. The person supplying it had NFI.
Anyway thinking of building my wife one too.
Dont want anything more than 200 -250 watt , dont want to get into a distracted discussion about what is legal and what is not .
My wife is fairly careless , would a small mid drive be OK clearance wise if she doesnt ride anything rocky ?.
Thinking maybe the smallest lightest Shimano steps motor she wont want anything too heavy ?
can you get the Shimano steps in a retrofit?..I thought they were only for specific E-bike built frames..

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I know nussink . Yeah further reading confirms that, since it has specific bolts.
So retrofit Bafang , TSDZ and then all the kits any others ?
Dont want anything too heavy 200-250 watts is OK

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Tongsheng comes w a 42T single chainring which is way too large .
I wonder if you can easily change it to something smaller ?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Thread dig again.

I'm thinking of dropping a mid drive motor on the child-carrying bike. Urban riding only. I don't intend on going fast, but sometimes I need a bit of extra oomph to get up some of the short but steep hills around here.
Does the TSDZ2 still stand as a good, affordable option?
Would it be suitable to use if I went completely insane and got a cargo bike? (box up front type)
Ideally I want to put my old car to rest and ride everywhere. With two kids. In a car-centric town. What could possibly go wrong?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Love it! Looks heavy as fuck, but very utilitarian.

A friend of mine has a Yuba cargo bike - which was part of the inspiration for my kid-hauler "Bumpy, the triple decker bike" (named by the kids).
It is only triple decker if the decks are arranged vertically. Otherwise it is sparkling stunted tricycle.