Little Things You Hate

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wow.

Genuine question, is the response to this proportionate? All the graphs and doohickies that I see indicate that the coronavirus is less contagious and has a lower fatality rate than the flu. Could be a bunch of crap, not sure.

Is the mass response basically trying to stem the spread of the virus, which seems to be a lost cause now, or because it is seen as a much greater risk than influenza, for example?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It’s already mutated to jump the species barrier, could perhaps do another one and radically ramp up its mortality.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Wow.

Genuine question, is the response to this proportionate? All the graphs and doohickies that I see indicate that the coronavirus is less contagious and has a lower fatality rate than the flu. Could be a bunch of crap, not sure.
I've noticed that too. Fatality rate seems to escalate for older folks but survivability for younger age brackets is pretty good.
Virii are our silent companions and are always going to change and mutate. Eloba and those hemorrhagic flu virii sure look loads nastier to me.

Mosquitoes I bet still win the highest bringer of death to the evolved monkeys.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Better safe than sorry I reckon. Also, if you're sick with anything contagious you should stay at home/isolate yourself. So many avoidable deaths from the flu if people would just not come to work or send their kids to school when they're sick.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Wow.

Is the mass response basically trying to stem the spread of the virus, which seems to be a lost cause now, or because it is seen as a much greater risk than influenza, for example?
Still unknown, although depending on the age cohort and location it can be worse than the standard flu, but definitely not anywhere near the level of Ebola or some of the SARS corona virus strains: https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html.

I think a lot of the uncertainly probably stems from the initially attempted cover up in Wuhan, and then the recalculations that have been done on infection and mortality rates in China. There's definitely more than an element of media beat up though. Every news reports refers to it as the 'deadly' corona virus. Sure it can be deadly, but then so can a bunch of other illnesses that no one goes around spouting the word deadly in front of. I did hear on a news report this morning that there was one person from the Diamond Princess who had it, had recovered and now has tested positive again which is interesting.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Lipsitch predicts that within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, about 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)

Lipsitch is far from alone in his belief that this virus will continue to spread widely. The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
The best "vaccine" is usually our own antibodies.
Maybe the sooner we all get a survivable dose of Beer Flu the better?
(FYI - I'm not an anti-vaxer)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The best "vaccine" is usually our own antibodies.
Maybe the sooner we all get a survivable dose of Beer Flu the better?
(FYI - I'm not an anti-vaxer)
Thats not how it works - how can antibodies respond to something they haven't seen before? e.g. Influenza constantly mutating hence why flu vaccine needs to change every season too. We don't have any sort of vaccine for covid-19 at this stage.

Most of us on here will be fine, just the isolation periods will interrupt our work and family lives - and those with ageing/unhealthyish parents need to pay closer attention.

Other impacts include my new sunglasses being stuck in HK and shares have dropped a shitload in last few days.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Time to go around and do some culling in the plantation. Was easy the first couple of times because the weenies made way for the strong growing saplings but now all are at least 2m high. Need to do it so that the biggest get the lion's share of water and nutrients but it is hard. If I don't cull the bigguns will be held back. Smaller trees are too big for me to transplant, tried that last time. Bugger. I planted the original group in a random pattern rather than rows and columns so taking some out leaves it looking like a natural grove. Bugger.