BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Mitch at Single trail racks (currie engineering) has a new model coming out in a few months. Looked at the 5 bike prototype today and ordered one on the spot.

Foot pedal for tilting.
New quick release rope replaces the 2 elastic loops.
Modified hoops that won’t touch spokes.

Didn’t think to take a pic. Begged him to get one finished for Buller this weekend and Nationals the week after, but not quite ready in time. The champ lent me a spare 4 bike model to tide me over. Such a champ. Can’t recommend him high enough.
The blokes a legend ! Could do enough to help me out... will go the extra mile to accommodate anyone.

Seen the new updates, loving the foot operated tilt back... how fucking how good is his pivot (even before the update) compared to any other vertical rack on this planet, never mind oz.

Not sure about the rope hold down, I've tied straps to the DS pedal and it pulls the bike to the one side, which may have caused a brake lever scuff on a top tube of a bike.
Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Top racks and awesome customer service.

rstim

Likes Dirt
The blokes a legend ! Could do enough to help me out... will go the extra mile to accommodate anyone.

Seen the new updates, loving the foot operated tilt back... how fucking how good is his pivot (even before the update) compared to any other vertical rack on this planet, never mind oz.

Not sure about the rope hold down, I've tied straps to the DS pedal and it pulls the bike to the one side, which may have caused a brake lever scuff on a top tube of a bike.
Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Top racks and awesome customer service.
He has made changes to the wheel baskets to suit the tie down. This is a message he sent me regarding what he's done.
"So the wheel baskets will have two open sides to stop the spokes touching the basket. I’ve made the rack 75mm higher over all to incorporate the new rope system. The rear wheel bar has obviously been redesigned to incorporate the new system. The only other thing I’ll hopefully get done tomorrow redesigning the anti-wobble mech in the rack tongue. It’s currently a sliding wedge, it works good but tends to stick when you release the bolt to take the rack off the car. I’m going to change it to a rocker design which will eliminate the friction issue the wedge has at the moment."
Can't wait for mine to arrive!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
He has made changes to the wheel baskets to suit the tie down. This is a message he sent me regarding what he's done.
"So the wheel baskets will have two open sides to stop the spokes touching the basket. I’ve made the rack 75mm higher over all to incorporate the new rope system. The rear wheel bar has obviously been redesigned to incorporate the new system. The only other thing I’ll hopefully get done tomorrow redesigning the anti-wobble mech in the rack tongue. It’s currently a sliding wedge, it works good but tends to stick when you release the bolt to take the rack off the car. I’m going to change it to a rocker design which will eliminate the friction issue the wedge has at the moment."
Can't wait for mine to arrive!
Big innovations, the man is thinking outside the square...sounds awesome !

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Fake photo looks fake...
You’d get a ticket for bikes hanging out like that.
Agreed on the ticket. In Straya at least. No idea what's legal in Canadia.. I don't think the photo is fake though. There's another pic of that bike on the rack in the article.

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed on the ticket. In Straya at least. No idea what's legal in USA land. I don't think the photo is fake though.
Wheels looked too big relative to the car.
They should have taken pic loaded on a hummer. That just looks downright stupid and impractical

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Telephoto lens + the bike is (guesstimating) ~800 mm behind the car .... I dunno.
A telephoto lens would make Pink Bike’s Grim Donut’s wheels look smaller relative to the car. Whereas a relatively wide-angle lens would produce this effect.

And let’s face it, the geometry of the bike is so ridiculous every photo of it looks fake.

FigBo0T

A telephoto lens would make Pink Bike’s Grim Donut’s wheels look smaller relative to the car. Whereas a relatively wide-angle lens would produce this effect.
I stand corrected.

And let’s face it, the geometry of the bike is so ridiculous every photo of it looks fake.
I must agree. They're sure taking their time with proving that it's ride-able, while plugging it relentlessly.

moorey

call me Mia
I must agree. They're sure taking their time with proving that it's ride-able, while plugging it relentlessly.
I’m sure the first guy to rock up with one at your local will be a moustachioed icon among his POC wearing moustachioed squad, telling us we don’t know what MTB is about till we’ve ridden one. (Ok boomer)

FigBo0T

I’m sure the first guy to rock up with one at your local will be a moustachioed icon among his POC wearing moustachioed squad, telling us we don’t know what MTB is about till we’ve ridden one. (Ok boomer)
I could say the same about this ...