Can I get an E bike wet?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So, I'm not planning on riding one through a pond but how do they fair being washed for example? Is it okay to hose it off? I've got Shimano Steps E8000's attached to the bikes and am just finding my feet with a few things. I've read a little on the bikes thus far but really appreciate some advice from you guys who've been hands on with them for a while please. ;)
Cheers y'all!

BT180

Max Pfaff
All sealed and waterproof apparently. Know a dude who crashed into a creek and fully submerged the bike (Meta Power). Still works fine. Not sure if it differs from brand to brand though? But surely all waterproof considering the conditions they ride in, especially in Europe.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
All sealed and waterproof apparently. Know a dude who crashed into a creek and fully submerged the bike (Meta Power). Still works fine. Not sure if it differs from brand to brand though? But surely all waterproof considering the conditions they ride in, especially in Europe.
Thats what I'm hoping, I'd like to be able to wash it off without destroying it. Not keen on wet rides on it though, way too much more to keep clean.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I read a thread where people had hosed their ebikes bikes and shit stopped working.

~2 years and I have still not taken a hose to the missus e-bike... we did get soaked on Maria Island in Tassie with it.

Google it, there's a few threads about.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I normally just hit mine with a spray to get things started, then get the bucket and suds out and get cleaning.
but I do give it a light hose off at the end to get the foam all washed off though.
have only ever had one issue where the battery cut out, as the battery connection on mine is at the bottom!?.. but it was after a vigorous hosing session, have changed my washing practices now to suit.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I have used a pressure washer on mine but treat it like a bearing seal or fork wiper. Don’t point straight at it up-close, and don’t concentrate on one area too long.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mines been through thigh deep water and muddy puddles many times , went off a drop into a creek ( unintentionally) - full immersion for both rider and bike-o !
I do wash it , light hose if super dirty ( counts as foreplay righttttttt.... ) then sponge bath , then a rinse out of a small sprayer bottle .
Quick dry off , coupla drinks and Bobs your auntie ( don’t judge me )
2500 km later it still seems okay , I do spray grease around the motor crankshaft section .
Bosch for reference

boyracer

Likes Dirt
i have washed the electric skateboard down with a hose after a gritty ride on damp roads. The missus' e-commuter is washed with bucket n sponge and ct-18.
Not an e-bike as such but this is kinda cool.