Boutique bike pricing

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Helping a mate buy his first proper bike, and there are some appealing used bargains floating about. Or at least they might be... How do you price a used boutique...?

eg an older model Canfield with older 10sp gear and a life of proper riding....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
You can't put a price on style.
And yet it's a dark art.

Really hard to say without seeing the bike in question. The second hand bike market is completely bananas these days and just so hard to predict. I'm selling a 2017 Nomad CC at the moment and trying to price it was impossible - there were a handful of others (same model, similar builds etc) for sale at the time I was listing and they ranged anywhere from $3000-5000 in asking price... Everyone's just speculating wildly. As annoying as it is it's really just up to someone making an emotional connection with the bike and deciding they're going to buy it against their own better judgement :D

As for the Canfield... 10sp gear can be updated. If it has decent geometry, 12x142mm or better rear end, a decent fork and doesn't have 26" wheels then it starts to become what I said above - does your mate like it enough to spend $x and make whatever compromises are required?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Oh yeah, and if I was looking at a Canfield (or any other boutique aluminium marque) that had had "a life of proper riding" I'd be thoroughly inspecting welds etc... It's easy to get a second hand swingarm for a Reign (or even a new one from a dealer) if you need it. Less so for something like a Canfield.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If its a Balance with 142mm rear end, give it a good inspection, then jump on it.

I picked one up with with Diamond fork, Hope brakes, Sixc cranks etc for $3500.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Price variance would come from how much they originally paid.
Lot of high end bikes are shop employees or sponsored riders, if they sell them at a percentage of purchase price, it's significantly less than the equivalent from RRP.

Also, absolutely ridiculous generalisation, but Specialized owners always over value their bikes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
. How do you price a used boutique...?
I think you generally pay for after-sale service with boutique bikes and most of that will be gone second hand but it's what people are willing to pay that really sets the price and what the latest trend or fad is.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Helping a mate buy his first proper bike, and there are some appealing used bargains floating about. Or at least they might be... How do you price a used boutique...?

eg an older model Canfield with older 10sp gear and a life of proper riding....
You ride a giant, how do you know anything about proper bikes? The formula for price is:

UP = OP/A/NO*80%+AUP

UP - used price
OP - original price
A - age
NO - number of owners
AUP - Australia Post

I've owned a Canfield and it was awesome. If it isn't too flogged then you would be in for a fun bike.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You ride a giant, how do you know anything about proper bikes? The formula for price is:

UP = OP/A/NO*80%+AUP

UP - used price
OP - original price
A - age
NO - number of owners
AUP - Australia Post

I've owned a Canfield and it was awesome. If it isn't too flogged then you would be in for a fun bike.
I don't - hence the question ;)

Maybe I should be looking at an Orange... That reminds me, that shifty bugger from Ballarat never did drop off that Transition like he promised :(

safreek

I'm going to sound like a real c*** but tell him to wait a few weeks, when the job losses really start there are going to be some desperate people, desperation means fire sales from people in fucked situations.
I feel sorry for people trying to sell luxury goods then

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, price of used bikes is already in free-fall now there's plenty of carbon "superbikes" on the market.

There's going to be a lot of people trying to recoup what was formally "disposable" income in the not-too-distant future (hopefully not myself included).

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm going to sound like a real c*** but tell him to wait a few weeks, when the job losses really start there are going to be some desperate people, desperation means fire sales from people in fucked situations.
I feel sorry for people trying to sell luxury goods then
A genuinely fucked thought, but an obvious one once pointed out...

As much as I bitch about Canberra and the public service, it is somewhat comforting having secure employment at present!

safreek

A genuinely fucked thought, but an obvious one once pointed out...

As much as I bitch about Canberra and the public service, it is somewhat comforting having secure employment at present!
Hopefully the panic selling won't have to happen now the govt has done the righty

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Hopefully the panic selling won't have to happen now the govt has done the righty
It'll be the longer term economic pain that drives it I suspect. I was about to put an offer in on a house, but thinking I might park that for a few months... Besides, with the travel ban to tassie in play id have to buy it sight unseen!!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
have you ever seen them together?...
back on topic, with the Aus dollar doing just awesome on the OS markets, your best bet is a local Distro trying to shift stock to stay afloat
If you have extra cash that is taking up space and burning a hole in your pocket, buy your time, I think there will be some ripper deals in the weeks and months to come