Little Things You Love

SummitFever

Eats Squid
For me it began growing up on a farm. If you couldn't fix it, you were in for a long wait until the next trip into town. I might have to move the family back out there is the Zombies get too thick on the ground in the city.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Coffee machine starting playing up yesterday. Poor pressure from the pump. Instantly wife fires up about the imminent and pressing need to rush straight out and spend big $$$ buying a replacement. "We're not going through lockdown without any decent coffee", she screams. It's like she doesn't know me at all. The amount of shit I have fixed over the years would blow your mind. I haven't even put a screwdriver on it and she's already at me to get a replacement before everything is shut down or sold out. I make a joke about it not being like a chest freezer full of toilet paper.

Anyhow, needed a break from work this arvo so pulled the coffee machine apart. Removed the pump, completely disassembled it, figured out how it works, found that there is a little checkvalve which uses a springloaded ball. The spring needed a quick "tune-up" and now the machine is back together and good as new. LTIL: total time taken under 20 minutes. That's less time than it would have taken me to drive to the shops and catch Covid-19.

Wife's response when the machine fired back to life: "I knew you'd fix it, can you make me a coffee?".
This sounds familiar. I had to teach myself how an overlocker works and sort out all the settings for the upper and lower loopers and set their timing. Very impressive bit of engineering...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I haven't even put a screwdriver on it and she's already at me to get a replacement
Well done, definitely COVID19 the blockbuster will be visiting your local supermarket .
Yeah I love having success with a good fix.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
This sounds familiar. I had to teach myself how an overlocker works and sort out all the settings for the upper and lower loopers and set their timing. Very impressive bit of engineering...
I can imagine the timing is very precise, I had a go at our old sewing machine but the plastic parts were too brittle so easier to buy a used Husky .

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I can imagine the timing is very precise, I had a go at our old sewing machine but the plastic parts were too brittle so easier to buy a used Husky .
This is an early 80s Husky made in Japan. It’s beautifully made - no plastic bits. She also has some similar vintage European sewing machines I’ve done some work on and again so nice.

She had a modern plastic job once and it was quickly gotten rid of!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Über hipster.
Not me! She sews quite a lot and learnt quickly the older ones are much easier to use and get much better results. And also that its super expensive to get them repaired/serviced "professionally"... I got my first job repairing a lot of broken parts from the last time her favourite machine saw a service shop...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep I like the Husky machine, my mother taught me to sew when i was about 12 yo.
Was very handy when I got into the outdoors and surfing as a teenager, cos I could make or fix any required camping type gear or clothes.
There was a very limited supply of outdoor products in the 70s and 80s mostly from UK or Scandinavia , it was only with the popularity of ski touring / bushwalking that Goretex and Fleece became widely available .
With the rise of China and urban wear of softshell and windstopper that everything became cheap.