The QUICK question thread.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
in desperate need of undo advice
see pics, can’t undo the allen key on the old octalink cranks..i presume the l-r threads are opposite in that they both undo the same way? have sprayed it already, have a 1/2” socket handle with a thomson seatpost on it, won’t budge
also when i get the other side crank off, start undoing the bottom bracket i undo it 6-6 turns then it becomes really tight? like it’s still connected to the other side..i thought they undid independently?
am losing it..swearing & abuse

View attachment 361476
View attachment 361477
Looks like you've lost the self-eaxtractor cap, which the bolt pulls against to remove the crank. Both bolts are normal R/H thread, therefore anti-clockwise to undo.

Further to the pipe-over-allen key-for more leverage idea suggested earlier, remove the pedal from the offending crank, wrap some rag over the crank to protect it fron gouges, and slip a large pipe over the crank and use the ground as a stopper against crank rotation. Then apply your enhanced leverage, with impact (shock loading can free over-tight threads where simple brute leverage won't) if required.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like you've lost the self-eaxtractor cap, which the bolt pulls against to remove the crank. Both bolts are normal R/H thread, therefore anti-clockwise to undo.

Further to the pipe-over-allen key-for more leverage idea suggested earlier, remove the pedal from the offending crank, wrap some rag over the crank to protect it fron gouges, and slip a large pipe over the crank and use the ground as a stopper against crank rotation. Then apply your enhanced leverage, with impact (shock loading can free over-tight threads where simple brute leverage won't) if required.
Is this with the bike in an upright position and the bottom bracket shell + crank arm resting on the ground?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Yes, this
had to have a 2nd look, but you appear to be correct
Dan, does the bolt undo? (should be standard CCW)
if so, do you have another set of cranks with a self extracting bolt cap that you can pinch?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes, this
had to have a 2nd look, but you appear to be correct
Dan, does the bolt undo? (should be standard CCW)
if so, do you have another set of cranks with a self extracting bolt cap that you can pinch?
Or a crank puller ..? Or is this model crank immune to that?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't

yep had wrapped an old tube around the crank, crank was in a pipe also..angle grinder tomorrow

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Before resorting to the angle grinder I'd try some heat and then some sharp shocks with a hammer on the end of your allen socket drive.

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t recall my octalink being self extracting. Threads in crank are for the puller. I might have misread the problem though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don’t recall my octalink being self extracting. Threads in crank are for the puller. I might have misread the problem though.
Depended on model level and to an extent, model vintage, some were self-extracting, others were not. Bolts & caps are interchangeable.