Centrelink registration for COVID-19 support

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How to register for Centrelink COVID-19 payments online

If you need some government assistance to make it through the COVID-19 meltdown (also know at the 2020 toilet paper crisis), Centrelink's online registration process starts are here:

It looks like they are trying to steer people away from phone and walk-in inquires and there will probably be a bit of a wait as they deal with a huge load of processing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the site advises that the day you "register your intention to claim" (their words) will be the date from which they begin to calculate any relevant payments.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I had heard payments take a minimum of 5 weeks to start to land - you do get back payed - but I suggest you register asap - as long as the site hasn't crashed again.

DeBloot

Feeling old
The biggest problem was needing a CRN number to link your MyGov account to Centrelink
But to get a CRN number you had to ring Centrelink or attend an office
Ringing is next to impossible and attending is sketchy with the queues of people
It seems that today they have got around this problem somewhat

Thankfully I may not need to try this out now as i had tried constantly earlier in the week
My employer has changed from 'we can't keep you beyond next week' to 'let's see what happens'

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don’t they give us a guideline as to whether we’re likely to be eligible before we clog the system up further.

I expect there’s loads out there doing it tougher than me but my work closed and turfed me out. Looks like my mrs will keep working though so I’m not trying to work out where dinner is coming from. Seems I’m becoming part of the problem

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks for posting this, need to get on it!
Word to the wise - Lodge ASAP. Once Centrelink process your application (lots of weeks) they will calculate your back pay from the day you first register. So no sitting back for a week waiting for it to happen, because that will cost you a week. So start clicking, it only takes a few minutes

I would not be surprised if the week long delay between announcement and getting this shit online and love was deliberate to stall a week of payments. I'm sure there will be an overly complicated appeal process of some sort involving hoops and canibalism, but most people won't be fucked with all the fussing. A dollar saved is a dollar earnt

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Word to the wise - Lodge ASAP. Once Centrelink process your application (lots of weeks) they will calculate your back pay from the day you first register. So no sitting back for a week waiting for it to happen, because that will cost you a week. So start clicking, it only takes a few minutes

I would not be surprised if the week long delay between announcement and getting this shit online and love was deliberate to stall a week of payments. I'm sure there will be an overly complicated appeal process of some sort involving hoops and canibalism, but most people won't be fucked with all the fussing. A dollar saved is a dollar earnt
Will do it tonight. Trying to figure out what to do with wife as well. She is self employed but now that I am unemployed it's difficult.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Will do it tonight. Trying to figure out what to do with wife as well. She is self employed but now that I am unemployed it's difficult.
There are small business options she can register for. She may also be eligible for the Centrelink assistance. I suggest she registers her interest and let's Centrelink's team of trained professionals analyse the situation and relevant guidelines to make an informed decision. I also don't recommend trying to trick them. As per my comment elsewhere on the form, the department has an adversarial approach and deal harshly with those who do them wrong.

safreek

I lost a job about a year ago and registered for the dole, I was fortunate enough to find a job in about 3 weeks so I think I got about 250 then never bothered to lob another form, still had a healthcare card though, useful for doctors bills and such.
Guess who found $750 in the bank yesterday :D pretty stoked.
I obviously deserved it, thanks scomo

safreek

As per my comment elsewhere on the form, the department has an adversarial approach and deal harshly with those who do them wrong.
You are correct, had a mate in Brisbane that under declared for a while, got 2.5 or 3 years in the slammer, think he only did 6 or 7 months though

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are small business options she can register for. She may also be eligible for the Centrelink assistance. I suggest she registers her interest and let's Centrelink's team of trained professionals analyse the situation and relevant guidelines to make an informed decision. I also don't recommend trying to trick them. As per my comment elsewhere on the form, the department has an adversarial approach and deal harshly with those who do them wrong.
Just registered and it took 0.5 seconds. Straight into mygov and 2 clicks and done.
Wife will register and we will sort something out thanks. Might look at if they support retraining.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just registered and it took 0.5 seconds. Straight into mygov and 2 clicks and done.
Wife will register and we will sort something out thanks. Might look at if they support retraining.
Maybe I do need that PhD...

nathanm

Eats Squid
Why don’t they give us a guideline as to whether we’re likely to be eligible before we clog the system up further.

I expect there’s loads out there doing it tougher than me but my work closed and turfed me out. Looks like my mrs will keep working though so I’m not trying to work out where dinner is coming from. Seems I’m becoming part of the problem
They do, rates and payment finder. www.servicesaustralia.gov.au - job seeker - rates and payment finder.

In regards to getting your CRN, you didn't hear it from me but there's been extra staff allocated to that service so if you say accidentally call international services or one of the less busy numbers they can give you your crn. Make sure you also get a mygov linking code.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Considering you are an essential service from spending full time hours on here you might be able to claim some of the government stimulus package.
Someone needs to entice the sponsors ... I've even purchased from some of them!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Centrelink have begun calling people who have registered. If, like myself, you normally dog out on private numbers...you may do yourself a mischief with these calls.