Bike computer suggestions

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Hey all,

I'm looking for a bike computer to see a little more info on my rides as I go. I use Strava on my phone but don't want to mount my phone to my bars. I've had a look at Garmins and the like which are cool but I think unneccesary for me. I don't want turn-by-turn, maps, colour screens and live strava segments etc, I just want an easy way to quickly see parameters like How fast I'm going, how far i've ridden on the ride and my heart rate and maybe cadence too.

I do like looking at my ride on Strava and geeking over the data so I'm wondering if there's a product that can communicate with Strava too.

At the moment the Lezyne Macro GPS looks pretty good. It's not super expensive and should nicely display all the things I want then spit out the data for strava later. Any other suggestions? Any experience with the Lezyne units?

T-Rex

Template denier
Given your requirements... what’s wrong with Strava premium and keeping your phone in your pocket?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've had the Lezyne Super the last 3 years and it's been absolutely faultless...More than enough data, never had issues with accuracy/dropping out like the cheaper Garmins seem to have, good battery life, has live tracking and navigation with the phone app, uploads to strava at end of ride.

Wouldnt hesitate to get the Macro GPS (same features but less battery life I believe??)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've had the Lezyne Super the last 3 years and it's been absolutely faultless...More than enough data, never had issues with accuracy/dropping out like the cheaper Garmins seem to have, good battery life, has live tracking and navigation with the phone app, uploads to strava at end of ride.

Wouldnt hesitate to get the Macro GPS (same features but less battery life I believe??)
I've got a Macro and it's spot on. Battery is plenty good enough, about 20 or so hours of riding.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Given your requirements... what’s wrong with Strava premium and keeping your phone in your pocket?
Not all phones GPS track consistently. I used my Oppo to track a 75km ride. It took 4 hrs in the real world, the tracked distance was pretty close, but Strava only recorded it as two hours worth. Average speed was ah-maze-balls

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I'd like to see some basic parameters like speed, distance, heart rate on the fly without putting my smartphone in the firing line and draining it's battery. The data my phone captures is fine and the perfect product for me would simply be a screen that connects to my phone via bluetooth and displays a few numbers. No such product exisits but the Lezyne seems to be pretty close.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I've only started looking into them tonight also but the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt seems good, or the Garmin Edge 130. They're both just that next level up from the Lezyne but they have the next level up features that you may not need now but could be handy later. Admittedly they're quite a bit more money and I'm a broke arse so I can't say what way I'd go.

Does everyone use smart watches as heart rate monitors or something else?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I've only started looking into them tonight also but the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt seems good, or the Garmin Edge 130. They're both just that next level up from the Lezyne but they have the next level up features that you may not need now but could be handy later. Admittedly they're quite a bit more money and I'm a broke arse so I can't say what way I'd go.

Does everyone use smart watches as heart rate monitors or something else?
I rely on a separate hr strap for accurate readings.
As someone who regularly has 3 hr monitoring devices on (2x wrist-based, 1 strap), wristed based devices for MTBing tend to underestimate HR due to the location by the wrist joint which is constantly moving off-road.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Make sure you get Bluetooth and ant+ compatibility incase you want to zwift etc in the future..
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt FTW.
pretty much bulletproof, as @bear the bear mentioned, all the bluetooth, ant+ compatibility etc

I think mine came bundled with speed and cadence sensor + heart rate monitor strap.
I bought a 2nd bar mount (1 on roadie, one on 29er) and extra speed and cadence sensor for the 29er.

setup is piss easy via app on phone. the sensors are bluetooth paired to the bolt unit.
if you are a Stravahole and want to upload to Strava, just turn your phone on and let it search for and connect with the Bolt.

yeah, downside is $$, but if you can stretch to it, prob better value for money than buying a cheapo and then wanting to upgrade.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
bryton best value imo, ive got a 330[same as giant neostrack] but the new 420 has everything incl ex battery life for $199-219

the garmin edge25 i had was nice & sml but battery life was shite

cameron_15

Eats Squid
After some more research I've found some interesting products - the Wahoo RFLKT (now discontinued?) and Cateye Padrone Smart bike computers. These connect to your phone and display data from it, basically using the phones GPS/hardware. I initially thought this would be a cool concept - why pay for another computer when I've already got all the relevant hardware in the form of a smartphone. Sadly these computers cost around the $150 mark so it makes more sense to bump up the budget and buy a dedicated GPS cycling computer like those previously suggested.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
On a roadie, touring and MTB, I've used various combinations of an android tablet, an android phone, a Garmin edge 500 (now close to death) mounted on the bars, a Garmin forerunner 910XT and 920XT multisport wristwatches, and more recently a Garmin edge 530 mounted on the bars.

For MTB I use a wristwatch and set the buzzer to go off when there is something interesting to look at, even for XC the bar mounts and GPSs are too fragile and when things get hectic you don't look at it anyway. The only reason I'd go bar mount for MTB is if I needed maps for trail directions/exploring.

Agree that wrist based heart rate is a gimmick, you need a HR strap to get any reasonable accuracy. My old ANT+ garmin HR strap has been running for a few years of daily commutes with 9mo battery life. Just don't wash the strap too often - they perform better when sweaty and smelly.

- carpetrunner

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Looking at computers has led me down the smartwatch path. The Garmin instinct looks pretty handy.